Well, Im actually a seasoned drummer but ive taught myself to play the axe over the years and recently I bought a squier n made a J5 style, Black body, mirror/chrome pickguard but Ive nver dealt with single coil pickups before. When it comes to guitar I want a nice rich heavy metal sound because i love to play metal of course. What would be.some suggestions on a high output single bridge coil to beef it up. Id like to stay in the range of $100 thank you in.advance for the help!

Torqin
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Aren't there humbuckers in a J5? Why would you put a single coil in there if you want to play metal?

Metal out of a single coil, than you are almost automatically talking about hotrails or humbucker in a single coil format (like the Little 59). Look up Seymour Duncan Hotrails on youtube:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/high-output/hot_rails_for_t/

I just added the chrome pickguard and rosewood fretboard to make it look like a J5, this guitar came with single coils n i just wanna knw what after market bridge coil to buy to get a heavier, punchy sound out of it
how was it routed under the pickguard? if you're lucky it might already be routed for a full-sized humbucker, and if it is, that's normally the easiest way to get that tone as almost anything else (or at least, anything else i've tried, which isn't quite the same thing ) seems to be a compromise.

just it'd be a pain since you've already bought the new chrome pickguard.

If it's not routed for a humbucker, I'm guessing rails pickups of some kind (dimarzio and duncan make a bunch, I'm not fussed on the hotrails too much but have no experience with any of the other models) would be the thing. The stacked pickups I've tried seem to be more trying to sound like "real" single coils, except without the hum, whereas the dual rails-style ones tend to be more aimed at humbucker tones (though not always).

Duncan also does a couple of pickups with dual rows of polepieces, the JB Jr and lil '59, I'm guessing they're more aimed at humbucker tones too but I haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 20, 2015,
stacked pickups are your go to for single coils. They are like humbuckers in power but the housing of a single coil or tele.

say for example this tele I worked on 2 weeks ago there was a tone zone in the bridge designed for teles (dimarzio) and an area T or something track. Both are 4 wire pickups so you get the option to do coiltaps and all. I highly recommend it 4 wire single coils or tele pickups. The other pro is no annoying hum.

for the John 5 sound my biggest suggestion is Dimarzio D-Activators. But seymour Duncan makes a lot of great pickups too. I keep pickups on guitars stock myself unless they are really weak or buzz.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 20, 2015,
^ nah stacked pickups are normally designed to sound more like single coils- dimarzio virtual vintages, duncan stacks, fender noiseless etc. the two coils are on top of each other. what he most likely wants is ones with the coils side-by-side, which is closer to a gibson-style humbucker (though far from exactly the same), like the tone zone you mentioned.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nah stacked pickups are normally designed to sound more like single coils- dimarzio virtual vintages, duncan stacks, fender noiseless etc. the two coils are on top of each other. what he most likely wants is ones with the coils side-by-side, which is closer to a gibson-style humbucker (though far from exactly the same), like the tone zone you mentioned.

I'm using a DiMarzio Fast Track II (side-by-side coils, single coil form factor, 18Kohm and *serious* output. It's intended for a strat bridge, but I'm using one as a neck pickup on an LP.
^ LOL. I sometimes wonder if the neck position is more forgiving for single coil-sized humbuckers than the bridge. I haven't exactly done exhaustive tests, but that's my feeling. Because it's warmer- bridge SC-S HBs often sound a bit thin but the neck ones seem to suffer less from that.

Also I think the dimarzio cruiser is a side-by-side/rails type pickup which is meant to sound more like a single coil (but I haven't tried it- when andy timmons uses it it sounds pretty single coily), so there are exceptions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?