Hi, I recently bought a preslotted fretboard. when it came today it seemed rather wide. I bought from stewmac and after looking at the dimensions on the site I realised what came was what I ordered. Anyway the link is here:
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar/Fingerboards/Slotted_Fingerboard_for_Fender_Guitar.html

But my question is do normal guitar fretboards have very wide fretboards like this one (60mm plus). Comparing next to my squier strat it seems much larger - almost like bass size though its not.

So do they normally come like this and you have to trim them down or is this the standard size?
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Hi, I recently bought a preslotted fretboard. when it came today it seemed rather wide. I bought from stewmac and after looking at the dimensions on the site I realised what came was what I ordered. Anyway the link is here:
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar/Fingerboards/Slotted_Fingerboard_for_Fender_Guitar.html

But my question is do normal guitar fretboards have very wide fretboards like this one (60mm plus). Comparing next to my squier strat it seems much larger - almost like bass size though its not.

So do they normally come like this and you have to trim them down or is this the standard size?

It says under the details tab they're ready to trim, so I'm guessing they're made that size for economy of scale on their side.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Oh okay fair enough, how would you recommend I trim it so it's even (so it doesn't have an odd bit for the radius
Not having a great deal of woodworking experience, my only good advice is carefully.

Pretty sure someone else around here can give you a better answer, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Roc8995
Wouldn't you just saw it off? You're going to sand the edges anyway.

Well, this is the 'carefully' thing.

I'd suspect the best thing to use(if available) would be a table saw or band saw, rather than a hand-held jig-saw. Or chainsaw. Or axe.

Either way, better to leave a bit more wood than take too much off. You can sand more off much more easily than put stuff back.
Quote by Diemon Dave