I have a 2 Channel 30W Albion Valve Amp. It has a really nice Clean Tone good for for Blues and the Dirty Channel, also sounds good.

But I want more!!!!

I am wondering how would something like a "Boss ME-80" go... would it sound alright or just mess things up on a tube amp...?
Quote by wiggedy
But I want more!!!!
First of all define "more", else everything that will get suggested and everything you'll buy will be a shot in the dark.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
First of all define "more", else everything that will get suggested and everything you'll buy will be a shot in the dark.

All kinds of Blues sounds, Wah, Heavier Blues sounds. I know all this is possible from the youtube demos's.

What I really want to know is, how would it would go into a Valve Amp.... For example I have read where Compression is not necessary when using a Valve Amp....

maybe the answer is it's irrelevant what kind of Amp it goes into..
Last edited by wiggedy at Jan 20, 2015,
Regardless of what "more" is you can't really go wrong with a tubescreamer. Multi-effects will have your bases covered and would sound good...it's just how serious you wanna get and what you're after.
Depends what you want. If you want a little bit of drive an overdrive would do well. If you want a slight delay something Like a Boss Digi-Delay or MXR Carbon Copy Delay.

EDIT:For wah you can get something like a Dunlop JH-1 wah(a Jimi Hendrix signature wah),
or a Vox V847.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 20, 2015,
+1 for a Tubescreamer type pedal. A smoother overdrive works better for blues most of the time, imo.
If you prefer a crispier, crunchier od the Boss SD1 is great, if you have a lil more money, the Full-Drive 2 is a super spiffified SD1 to my ears.
The aptly named Boss Blues Driver may work well for you.
Some sorta Fuzz Face type pedal works great too, if you're in to fuzz. I prefer a Big Muff but its pretty chaotic, a FF probably works best for blues for most players. Especially if there's a wah involved.

If you're looking for a wah, I'd suggest trying out a few different brands and models before deciding. I went through a couple Crybabys before trying Morley.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yep, tube screamer or Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. I just got curious and looked around, if you can find a Bluesbreaker it's more expensive than a tubescreamer...glad I got mine at a yard sale for a couple of bucks 20 years ago...Nope, it's not for sale...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
it depends on what all you need (how many different effects, I mean). Most people would say individual pedals usually sound better (plus you can mix and match to get exactly what you want), but if you don't know much about effects yet and want to try everything, that'll get expensive very quickly and a multifx to mess about with to sort of decide what you want might be worth considering. it should work fine with your amp, I'd imagine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm quite happy with my Ibanez TS9, it's a vintage 80's variant, with the J Chip (JRC4558) - if you can get a TS9, you might really like it
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Check out a combination of overdrive/distortion, maybe something with more variety, like these:
Carl Martin Hot drive and boost mkii or mkiii

Blackstar Ht Dual

Radial Tonebone series, Classic probably best for you

Could try some of these as well as more flexible overdrives:

Budda Zenman, Voodolab Sparkle Drive, Tech 21 Double Drive 3x

You could look into reverb as that is huge for blues, TC, Lexicon or the Roland tape echo.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 20, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Check out a combination of overdrive/distortion, maybe something with more variety, like these:
Carl Martin Hot drive and boost mkii or mkiii

Blackstar Ht Dual

Radial Tonebone series, Classic probably best for you

Could try some of these as well as more flexible overdrives:

Budda Zenman, Voodolab Sparkle Drive, Tech 21 Double Drive 3x

You could look into reverb as that is huge for blues, TC, Lexicon or the Roland tape echo.

I wonder how the Digitech Bad Monkey would stand up against ....Carl Martin Hot Drive?

I have a Bad Monkey (just haven't tried it on the Albion) and I have an opportunity to buy Carl Martin mk3 for $150.00

Last edited by wiggedy at Jan 20, 2015,
Definitely a tubescreamer style pedal will work. I've heard good things about the Bad Monkey.
Look at the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. It gives a great sound for heavier blues.
For a wah I'd look at a Vox V847 or a Crybaby. However both of these are mediocre in their standard forms, there's a few mods you can do to them which make them more usable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Dd9rdOaMg
I play blues slide as clean plus pedals, and while I like the SD-1 and BD-2 (I have both), I really prefer the Bad Monkey overall. Also because I fingerpick, I use a compressor. Delay or reverb is also useful, and a wah would be fun. I've tried digital multiFX/amp emulators, but never got on with them - too much time mucking about and not enough playing.
Quote by Tony Done
I play blues slide as clean plus pedals, and while I like the SD-1 and BD-2 (I have both), I really prefer the Bad Monkey overall. Also because I fingerpick, I use a compressor. Delay or reverb is also useful, and a wah would be fun. I've tried digital multiFX/amp emulators, but never got on with them - too much time mucking about and not enough playing.

On a Tube Amp?

that makes no sense. compressors can work anywhere. what you may have heard is that when there is a really overdriven tone, it is already compressed. overdrive clips and compresses the signal. the more drive, the more compression. metal tones are almost totally compressed. so compression is mostly useful for clean tones or gritty tones, perhaps some crunch tones. beyond that it goes into vary degrees of uselessness and un needed noise, buzzing, and mess.

but that applies to any amp, and any drive, even from a distortion pedal going into a solid state amp. the pedal still compresses is the signal. solid state amps themselves compress. clipping is clipping. its just, teh design and how it clips sounds different and reacts different (solid state amp, pedals, tube amps, etc).

so really, to answer your question, for a blues player, compression with a tube amp is absolutely your friend. blues rock, country, chicken picken. just listen to pretty much anything from genesis / phil collins (the solo form "Thats All" is so compressed its silly. uber compression), and listen to sultans of swing. also chili peppers riffs use a lot of compression (frischante has long been a fan of the boss compression sustainer, etc. most people cite him as an example of that pedal's tone).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 20, 2015,
Thanks to all, I am glad I asked the question.

I have decided to stay away from the EM-80 type things and keep it simple.

Try out the Bad Monkey on the Albion, get a good Compressor and a Wah should do it.

Thanks, any suggestions on Compressors would be welcome.

I like the Blues Driver. It has a lot of useful sounds from clean boost, to light gain, and even to distortion if you crank it all the way up and have hot enough pickups.

It's a pretty versatile pedal and it's not expensive. Also doesn't have the mid-boost like a tube screamer which can be annoying with certain amps.
^ the digitech screamin blues is a blues driver on the cheap (with a bass control too).

Quote by ikey_
that makes no sense. compressors can work anywhere. what you may have heard is that when there is a really overdriven tone, it is already compressed. overdrive clips and compresses the signal. the more drive, the more compression. metal tones are almost totally compressed. so compression is mostly useful for clean tones or gritty tones, perhaps some crunch tones. beyond that it goes into vary degrees of uselessness and un needed noise, buzzing, and mess.

possibly. or maybe he's heard that some people use compressors with ss amps to sort of mimic tubes' natural compression. but yeah lots of people use compressors with tube amps. I don't really use them much, but most of what I play doesn't really need it, as you said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wiggedy

Thanks, any suggestions on Compressors would be welcome.

I've got five, and my favourite is a BYOC 5-knob I built myself. Second is a Boss LMB-3, a bass limiter. I know that sounds weird, but it works very well as a guitar compressor, and the enhance control can do interesting things to warm humbucker pickups.
i personally am using a fairfield circuitry Accountant compressor. but theres always the typical boss and MXR compressors. CMAT mods makes great pedals. they have a few models. i have used thier overdrive but not compression.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
edit -

i would recommend going and playing compressors and watching youtube videos. compressors are a very subtle effect, or perhaps in some cases not audible to the listener at all and more about feel and dynamics. there a lot of "under the hood" things about compression that may translate to changes in tone and hoe you play...but unless you know what it is, i doubt teh average joe on the street is going to say "man that guy is totally using a compressor and it sounds awesome." probably more like " yeah that guy sounds good" ...and compression is 1 of 10 factors that are contributing. i know what it sounds like because i listen for it, and i love that tone.

what im saying is, dont buy one just to buy one. go play it and see if you like it. you may spend 80-100 or more on something that "doesnt do anything for you" so to speak.

compressors have different characteristics of "pop" or "spank" or "squish". some compressors are very very subtle, some are very spanky and squishy. you can hear it when you set the amount high and dig into a string. hit it hard and you can hear this "pop" type response. or not. some people use compressors just to limit dynamics for rythem playing, meaning, a compressor with compress down some higher volume notes and boost up some very quiet notes, causing a very even amount of playing regardless of how you hit the strings. a "limiting" factor. it can make for a very even strumming tone but with a loss of dynamics.

its all about what you want. i personally think my compressor is simple to use and can pull off all types of compression fairly well. im sure the boss and MXR are decent alternatives.

i personally really like the pigtronix compressors, but they are expensive, and have a lot of knobs, which i personally dont like as much. i enjoy simple pedals. unt they do sound great.

....end of compression rant
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
edit -

i would recommend going and playing compressors and watching youtube videos. compressors are a very subtle effect, or perhaps in some cases not audible to the listener at all and more about feel and dynamics. there a lot of "under the hood" things about compression that may translate to changes in tone and hoe you play...but unless you know what it is, i doubt teh average joe on the street is going to say "man that guy is totally using a compressor and it sounds awesome." probably more like " yeah that guy sounds good" ...and compression is 1 of 10 factors that are contributing. i know what it sounds like because i listen for it, and i love that tone.

what im saying is, dont buy one just to buy one. go play it and see if you like it. you may spend 80-100 or more on something that "doesnt do anything for you" so to speak.

compressors have different characteristics of "pop" or "spank" or "squish". some compressors are very very subtle, some are very spanky and squishy. you can hear it when you set the amount high and dig into a string. hit it hard and you can hear this "pop" type response. or not. some people use compressors just to limit dynamics for rythem playing, meaning, a compressor with compress down some higher volume notes and boost up some very quiet notes, causing a very even amount of playing regardless of how you hit the strings. a "limiting" factor. it can make for a very even strumming tone but with a loss of dynamics.

its all about what you want. i personally think my compressor is simple to use and can pull off all types of compression fairly well. im sure the boss and MXR are decent alternatives.

i personally really like the pigtronix compressors, but they are expensive, and have a lot of knobs, which i personally dont like as much. i enjoy simple pedals. unt they do sound great.

....end of compression rant

Just looking at dweezil Zapper reviewing the pigtronix on youtube, Nice Sustain....

The BD-2 has got a few mentions, so I decided to try it side-by-side with the Bad Monkey, using about the same amount of gain on both - about 12 0'clock on the BM, 10 o'clock on the BD, tone set at 12 o'clock on both, level set to equal volume. The BM was warmer and produced less "rattle" when playing chords. - I preferred it again in this comparison.