Greetings!

Recently I've been looking for items to help start recording my band and saw two things.
1. 24 Channel Mixer, from 1984, left output broken (needs soldering) for 50$
2. Creative Blasterkey Keyboard (48 keys, I think), nothing wrong, doesn't run off of USB. 30$

I saw these items and was like "god dang that doesn't seem bad." So I plan on going for them this weekend. However I don't know much about MIDI and have watched mulitple videos on MIDI and am just blank. So just a few questions:

1. What's a good and VERY affordable Audio Interface that I can plug a MIDI into?
2. How do I use specific sound-packs with the MIDI?
3. Would it be possible to be able to control the volume of the MIDI on the mixing board?
4. Do I even need an audio interface if I have a mixer to plug into my computer without any delays?

Some questions on Mixing as well. I know that the order that I would record would be Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Piano/MIDI/Synths, Lead Guitar, Vocals

1. Is it possible to go back and adjust the volume using the mixer after something is recorded?
2. How would all of the connections be to each other like Mics/Instr, etc. to a Mixer to a Audio Interface to a Computer? It seems like there'd be a delay from all of it.

As a beginner to mixing and MIDI things, I need a little help. and no one in my band isn't Audio-savy. So if there's anything else I need to know, please let me know.

Thanks!
1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Movin' it!
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Get a focusrite scarlet interface , about £80.

What recording software are you using?
Quote by burghUK
Get a focusrite scarlet interface , about £80.

What recording software are you using?

Plan on using ProTools or just something Generic. Does anyone know how to answer these?
1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
1. What's a good and VERY affordable Audio Interface that I can plug a MIDI into?
shop around, i just got a http://www.gak.co.uk/en/focusrite-scarlett-2i4/74363

2. How do I use specific sound-packs with the MIDI?
depends on what software/ DAW you use

3. Would it be possible to be able to control the volume of the MIDI on the mixing board?
No

4. Do I even need an audio interface if I have a mixer to plug into my computer without any delays?
yes

Some questions on Mixing as well. I know that the order that I would record would be Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Piano/MIDI/Synths, Lead Guitar, Vocals

1. Is it possible to go back and adjust the volume using the mixer after something is recorded?
No

2. How would all of the connections be to each other like Mics/Instr, etc. to a Mixer to a Audio Interface to a Computer? It seems like there'd be a delay from all of it.
depends on what hardware you are using and wether it is really meant for recording or just as a desk for a PA

(do your self a favour and don't buy shit you don't need)

As a beginner to mixing and MIDI things, I need a little help. and no one in my band isn't Audio-savy. So if there's anything else I need to know, please let me know.

do your self another favour and do some serious research on home recording.
Last edited by vocoderboy at Jan 20, 2015,
1) That really depends on your definition of 'good' and 'VERY affordable.' Check the Intro to Recording sticky for some interface recommendations. I'd recommend the Scarlett 2i4.

2) You would setup the DAW (recording program) to accept MIDI, then apply the sounds. MIDI is just information, so you need the computer to make sounds out of that information. I don't know anything about that specific keyboard, but if it has an audio out, you could plug that into your interface to use it's patches.

3) No it wouldn't.

4) Yes, because you probably can't plug the mixer into your computer. Most mixers only have a stereo out, which would be plugged into your interface. Modern mixers sometimes have USB connectivity to computers, but you're looking at a mixer pre-USB. You can plug 24 mics into that mixer, but you only get a L-R output from it. Mixers like that aren't designed for studio use; they're mainly for live gigs.

5) No it's not possible. Again, mixers can't connect to computers.

6) Connections would be Mic-Mixer-Interface-Computer.
If your mixer is not midi compatible (I doubt any mixers from 1984 were) you cannot control it with any midi control signals. You can get midi to USB cables on Ebay for about $15.00 and they work fine. I have have been using midi equipment since my first Sequential Circuits drum machine and my Roland Juno synth in the late 80's (triggered by my IBM 286 mono green screen computer) and I still use a lot of midi gear. Midi is a very powerful recording tool that was a real big help in days when recording tracks were limited (Tascam 38 8 track and my Fostex E-16 16 track reel to reel).
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 23, 2015,