If you have a mesa youre my man and we must talk

1) can you send me a clip of your tone
2) what is the bottom end like
3) whats your opinion of your mesa over engls?
4) have you ever tried an hm-2 with it? do you think it would sound good?
5) do you wish you got something different?
6) DID you get something different and didn't like the mesa? why?
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Peavey / Marshall / HM-2 / SKB
Dealbreaker
Quote by TylerKSchrute
If you have a mesa youre my man and we must talk

1) can you send me a clip of your tone
2) what is the bottom end like
3) whats your opinion of your mesa over engls?
4) have you ever tried an hm-2 with it? do you think it would sound good?
5) do you wish you got something different?
6) DID you get something different and didn't like the mesa? why?

go to www.myspace.com/teabagginsacmasters
Those tracks are Mesa 2ch Dual recto and a Peavey JSX

They have a huge amount of bottom, I kept mine(bass) under 1/2 and it would rattle your teeth

Never played many Engl's but the fireball 60 always seems to get the "it gets buried in the mix" reviews. (Engl is not a very common amp in most areas)

I am not a fan of any of the "metal" pedals and if you use one with a Mesa or Engl someone should slap the shit out of you

yeah I've never been completely satisfied with any amps, I had a Bogner ubershall el34(pre twin jet) and it killed my Mesa. It had the bottom of the Mesa but had the punch and midrange for live playing like a Marshall.

I deff liked the Mesa, but as a guitarist I'm in a never ending tone quest. My next amp is gonna be a Splawn Nitro
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

They have a huge amount of bottom, I kept mine(bass) under 1/2 and it would rattle your teeth

Never played many Engl's but the fireball 60 always seems to get the "it gets buried in the mix" reviews. (Engl is not a very common amp in most areas)

I am not a fan of any of the "metal" pedals and if you use one with a Mesa or Engl someone should slap the shit out of you

yeah I've never been completely satisfied with any amps, I had a Bogner ubershall el34(pre twin jet) and it killed my Mesa. It had the bottom of the Mesa but had the punch and midrange for live playing like a Marshall.

I deff liked the Mesa, but as a guitarist I'm in a never ending tone quest. My next amp is gonna be a Splawn Nitro

Love the Mesas and still have some. I liked the ENGL SE E670 but had difficulty bonding with the ENGLs and the Road King II kinda/sorta covers the versatility requirements. The Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet just plain kills and they're not going anywhere.
Quote by Ippon
Love the Mesas and still have some. I liked the ENGL SE E670 but had difficulty bonding with the ENGLs and the Road King II kinda/sorta covers the versatility requirements. The Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet just plain kills and they're not going anywhere.

Should I get the dual rectifier solo or the roadster?
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Dealbreaker
Quote by Robbgnarly

I understand the Mesa has a natural good tone and does not need a distortion pedal. However I like the sound of the distortion pedal so I may use it as a boost, or I'll find a different overdrive to use. I've been looking into getting an OCD fulltone to pair with it.
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Dealbreaker
Get the roadster, it rules. If you plug that boss into it, I will slap you through my computer. More bass than anyone could ever need. I've never wished I would have gotten anything different. Only amps I might end up getting (the mesa isn't going anywhere) is a splawn or Krank 1980 to cover my Marshal tone needs (the brit setting on channel two has me happy for now though) and a 6505 when I start recording to mix with the Mesa. The roadster does so many tones, I still haven't explored them all.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I am a Mesa fanboy and gig live regularly. It is amp #29 of 30 purchased.

My amp has plenty of bottom for me but it is the first thing FOH sound guys roll off when mic'd so I didn't buy it for awesome bottom only to have it taken away playing live shows. I am more interested in great clean tone and singing OD which it does in spades.

I have never heard an Engl live so no experience. I tend to prefer Calif tone over Brit tone so I expect I would prefer Mesa.

I am not a Metal shredder so my tracks would probably not interest you. Here is a quickie live recording from a rehearsal a while back. Old School stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/dave-hockett/btb-wild/s-Qds7h

I have never used a hm-2 but an OCD sounds very good on the clean channel.

So many amps, so little time and there are no perfect amps. They all got warts.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 21, 2015,
I'm not going to tell you that running an HM-2 into a Rectifier is a bad idea. I'm actually not aware of anyone ever trying it. I speculate that it would be a combination that could level whole cities. However, since the Rectifier has a TON of low end already, hitting it with an HM-2 might result in mud if you didn't cut some bass. The HM-2 is the only pedal I've ever tried containing the word "metal" that actually sounds good. Furthermore, in my opinion, it's the only metal distortion pedal that Boss has ever done right. But you already know what it does -- we've had discussions before.

That said, a Rectifier doesn't need an HM-2 to be brutal. They do need a boost of some sort though, in my opinion. They just don't have enough edge or tightness without it for my taste. With an overdrive pedal, however, they can do death metal quite easily. But it's a different taste than HM-2 death metal. Is it better or worse? That's entirely subjective.

Also, to clarify, you can't really lump all Mesas into one category (or any brand of amps, for that matter). They make numerous high-gain amp heads and they all sound very different from one another.
Last edited by KailM at Jan 21, 2015,
Boosting a mesa with a metal drive pedal seems like a bad idea. Sure, put the pedal through the mesa's clean channel for its character if thats what you like. But for boosting you'll want something without the low end and gain of the HM-2. You want something more like a tubescreamer for boosting else you'll just enter the world of mud.

This thread is silly though. Mesa make a lot of different amps, and they sound different.

Comparing mesa and engl isn't that easy either. For one they both make a lot of different sounding amps. For another, people generally prefer amps of a certain character/variety - whether that be the US mesa's, the British Vox or marshall or the German Engls. It's personal preference.

We know nothing of the music you play or anything...

Anyway, I have a mesa F30. It's a decent little hard rock amp that can do metal. Doesn't have very good inbetween tones. Only good for heavy and cleans. Has some of the best cleans I've heard though. Kills most other mesas, marshals, engnaters and so forth that I've had experience with. I'd only upgrade the cleans to a vox or fender. Has a pretty powerful low end, I usually cut mine a fair bit because it can get muddy. Doesn't have the level of gain of say a rectifier, but has a very decent amount - more than I need.
If I was getting another amp for metal it'd probably be either a 6505 or a spawn.

We need to know location, price range and the kind of music you play.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jan 21, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly

i love my nitro. it is just abusive.

______

i have a trem-o-verb and love it huge bass, thundering, and loose (what i want out of it). it is awesome. it REALLY likes K85/K100 speakers more-so than my mesa cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 22, 2015,
I have a Rectoverb 1x12 combo plenty of low end even without a boost. I boost it mainly as just a personal preference and use a tubescreamer 90% of the time to do so.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I knew a guy in black metal band that used two Boss metal zone distortions in series on two rectifier full stacks, splitting the signal into stereo afterward. It was most brutal, actually great death metal tone. He was dialing not much distortion from the pedals but using them to color and add some buzz. Very extreme and it seemed crazy but worked for him.
Quote by Cajundaddy

I have never heard an Engl live so no experience. I tend to prefer Calif tone over Brit tone so I expect I would prefer Mesa.

ENGL's are the German tone, not the Brit tone.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
ENGL's are the German tone, not the Brit tone.

Who knew? I've never even seen one in the wild.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
so should I go with the rectifier dual solo or roadster? they're about the same price used. I do not care for cleans. I just want the most bad ass loud metal tone.
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Dealbreaker
Quote by TylerKSchrute
so should I go with the rectifier dual solo or roadster? they're about the same price used. I do not care for cleans. I just want the most bad ass loud metal tone.

The Roadster. It can do Metal and when you decide to do Classic, Country, etc., it'll deliver.
Quote by TylerKSchrute

go for a 2ch dual recto
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thanks guys! I think I'll go with the solo. I don't plan on ever playing country music and if I were to play something softer I'd probably just get a Marshall head in the future to satisfy that. Or if not I will just use my ts-9 with a little crunch on my Mesa for cool rock tones.
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Dealbreaker
I got my combo $400 craigslist.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by TylerKSchrute
thanks guys! I think I'll go with the solo. I don't plan on ever playing country music and if I were to play something softer I'd probably just get a Marshall head in the future to satisfy that. Or if not I will just use my ts-9 with a little crunch on my Mesa for cool rock tones.

ltremoverbs are pretty damn nice. IMO better than a 2ch. and there are differences other than the tremolo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Not to be nosey but what did your tremoverb run you?^
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
Not to be nosey but what did your tremoverb run you?^

$780 or $760 i don't remember which. i got it a few bucks lower because it had a generic footswitch, not the mesa, but it still has all of the same buttons. i kind of used that to get it that extra $20 or $40.

it was listed at $800 i was there within 20 mins of the CL listing alert on my phone, and jumped on it. its immaculate too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well what's the difference between the solo rectifier and the tremoverb?
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Dealbreaker
Quote by TylerKSchrute
Well what's the difference between the solo rectifier and the tremoverb?

Termoverb has a bit less gain and much better cleans besides the Trem circuit and it is only a 2 ch amp like the original dual/triple recto
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 23, 2015,