Page 1 of 2
UKIP made a policy I would vote for

The world is ending

Discuss

I think that arts degrees are valid degrees and definitely develop certain skillsets. However the way the world economy is going, we do need more engineers and people in STEM fields. That's important. If we wanna be a nation of salespeople and bloggers and civil servants - then that's cool, but we will reap the consequences of that. Getting people into STEM fields is super important because the numbers are very low, and they are the people in technical fields who can make the UK more economically successful again, as well as driving forward cutting edge research in science and engineering. This is an incentive for that and I find it hard to disagree with, despite thinking that it is bad because it somewhat punishes people who decide to study the arts.

inb4 liberal art students tell me why I am entirely wrong.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
They're literally promising anything that will win votes. They aren't a real party, more of an anti-EU pressure group, and it is showing.

This is likely un-costed and will never happen.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Nah I'd agree with that too and I'm just a lowly politics major.

Although the attitude that comes with some STEM majors is ****ing insufferable.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I guess they're good guys after all
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
a new political party would promise the country the chance to run train on their mother for some youth support. this is BS
If they want to pay tuition for people that help out, why don't they pay for tech schools? Like for people that become truck drivers and construction workers and stuff. Those people help our society a lot more than scientists tbh.

Though I think education should be free for everyone anyway.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Nah I'd agree with that too and I'm just a lowly politics major.

As is the attitude that comes with arts majors

Basically: students are arrogant shit heads

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
by 'courses' does it mean degree programs or individual classes?

ukip can scrap math tuition all they want, it's still fucking awful
i don't know why i feel so dry
Degree programs. Once you're in uni you can do what you want as long as the modules are agreed on by your school. I could do a foreign language module in my chemistry degree for like 10 credits out of my 120 per year. I didn't, but I could have.

^ oh okay, just some british/american naming confusion

Quote by ErikLensherr

i have infiltrated an engineering university and let me tell you something

it's worse than you could ever imagine.
I imagine that engineering universities are full of meninists.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
I imagine that engineering universities are full of meninists.

i have seen many fedoras yes. probably 40% ish of the engineering students are female but the slimy male mechanical engineering dorks are in constant denial when they aren't wrenching their own dicks with a 12mm spanner

the joke is that they don't know how to use a wrench because they don't know anything because they're dumb

qed
nah **** having my hard earned money go to nerdy basement dwellers who'll just piss it away on stupid nerdy shit
I think there is a definite problem in the UK with the overabundance of people with degrees, leading to our dependence on a service based economy with thousands of admin and office jobs and stuff like that. Limiting art degrees and getting more people doing practical degrees or apprenticeships and stuff would probably have a great effect on the economy.

I have seen people saying a policy like this would stifle creative thought in the country and create a generation of people with no free thought. I find that quite narrow minded and offensive actually.

1. It implies one cannot be creative/arty without studying a degree. That isn't true. If you have to LEARN to be a free thinker, surely you're not one?
2. Being educated in maths or science or engineering doesn't mean you only think in numbers, or formulas, or in terms of machines. You are not automatically a mechanic and you can put your mind to other things.
3. We certainly do need history students, that much is true. But do we need them in numbers almost 4 or 5 times as many as our scientists? No, probably not. A more equal distribution of STEM/Arts degrees would produce a more balanced generation of graduates as well as a more balanced society.

Will this really graduate more people in STEM fields though? I feel like people going into those fields are willing to take on debt because the perception is that their earning potential will be high coming out of university. Why not just increase subsidies to universities across the board and make all education cheaper?
Cos we don't need even more people taking film studies degrees

Quote by Rossenrot
Bunch of liberals

this is basically the opposite of liberalism

/just took a poli phi exam
If they want to why shouldn't they? I'm all for people doing STEM degrees that the economy needs, but restricting people's choices seems to me the wrong way to go about it.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by EndTheRapture51

What we need is open minded and new idea, which is the definition of creativity
hilarious. as if people don't have it hard enough already to pursue shit they actually care about and not be forced to do bollocks they couldn't give a flying **** about

further cementing UKIP as The worst and why our government is immeasurably better
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Mainly employability reasons.

I am of the opinion that more needs to be done to promote STEM. Everyone learns science at school, and among the top sets a whole lot of people were really capable. I knew a ton of people who were better at science than me at school. By the time we were applying for uni, sadly, most of them had dropped off. A science degree is ****ing hard work. Probably the same overall work as a humanities degree, but you don't have as much "free" time. Everythings the same expected hours of work for every degree at uni, but a History degree has loads of time for reading in your own leisure. It doesn't have long days in the lab, doesn't have the sheer amount of contact time expected from science degrees, and doesn't have the same heavy workload of exams (instead it is more coursework based). That's appealing to a young student coming out of school because of the freedom factor and independence. Add to that the stigma of scientists being weirdos (some are for sure, most are not) and you get a whole package that doesn't seem very appealing to a young person who is thinking in the short term instead of stuff like better overall career prospects.

It shouldn't be "free fees for STEM, everyone else full price", but more like "here are some incentives for you to consider STEM now, over something else". They already do it with bursaries for teachers going into science to get £25k for their PGCSE (due to a low amount of science teachers in the country right now), so it should just be something like more incentives like that.

STEM students seem to think of everything in empirical terms and this applies to their views on liberal arts degrees, as if you can know fully the benefits of each degree and how many of each degree is needed etc.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
STEM students seem to think of everything in empirical terms and this applies to their views on liberal arts degrees, as if you can know fully the benefits of each degree and how many of each degree is needed etc.

unis shouldn't be treated like businesses
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
This would be great if the UK didn't have a great manufacturing and research economy. But it does. So eh.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by chrismendiola
Psych majors are the absolute worst.

Source: am a psych major; am the worst.

That's because half of them don't even have an interest in the field or a real end game
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
The government really shouldn't 'favoritize' one major over another. It may cause a flood of people into a degree

A) They are not qualified for
B) Market saturations driving down wages
C) People doing STEM for the alleged payday, not because they're good at it

Given that ~50% of college students are useless to begin with, well yeah you see where the problem is.
Someone on my facebook earlier posted this article on the Green Party, clearly trying to laugh at what a stupid joke they are (as it seems the author thinks too).

However I just read through thinking for almost everything.... "yeah, sounds good".

**** UKIP. Go Green!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html
but art is cooooool man, the man is just trying to bring us down by tempting us to become stupid government suits! take your free education and shove it!
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I'm not surprised you don't value film studies as a degree. It must be hard to watch films when you're so high up on your horse.
Quote by caeser1156
That's because half of them don't even have an interest in the field or a real end game

I'm more annoyed at the know-it-all psych majors after taking 101 and watching Criminal Minds. I mean, I think serial killers are fascinating, too, but you don't have to shout about it.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm more annoyed at the know-it-all psych majors after taking 101 and watching Criminal Minds. I mean, I think serial killers are fascinating, too, but you don't have to shout about it.

Yeah, they're pretty much the worst. They get so condescending over everything too. Like I'll mention how I really only plan on going into research and then they always have to chime in with "well I'm going to be working with the FBI profiling the most wanted criminals in the country so I'm doing psychology better than you."
Quote by MadClownDisease
Someone on my facebook earlier posted this article on the Green Party, clearly trying to laugh at what a stupid joke they are (as it seems the author thinks too).

However I just read through thinking for almost everything.... "yeah, sounds good".

**** UKIP. Go Green!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

I didn't think I could be more put off the Green Party than I already was, but that has somehow made me even more convinced not to vote for them.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by caeser1156
Yeah, they're pretty much the worst. They get so condescending over everything too. Like I'll mention how I really only plan on going into research and then they always have to chime in with "well I'm going to be working with the FBI profiling the most wanted criminals in the country so I'm doing psychology better than you."

implying profiling is more effective than dart throwing
Quote by Eastwinn
implying profiling is more effective than dart throwing

no kidding
Page 1 of 2