Hi, i have a maybe stupid question about guitar speakers.
Background (read from the bold line down below if you're not interested):
I have built a custom 2x12 cab (two chambers, one open back, one closed, like the expensive mesa roadking cabs) Now I need two speakers. I am thinking about the Jensen Jet series "Tornado", a 100 watt lightweight neodymium speaker which is, according to the reviews i have read, a very "neutral" or "direct" sounding speaker that does not color the sound too much, no excessive high mid spikes and so. Sounds like something I am looking for. I play everything from pop rock to death metal but mostly the heavier stuff. I want a versatile speaker. According to some reviews, the tornado seems to be a speaker that can be controlled very well with the amps EQ. ..And some say it has less bass than for example V30s.
...which brings me to the question I wonder about:
In a lot of reviews and forum posts you read stuff like "speaker X does have less bass than speaker Y ...i recommend speaker Y if you play a lot of heavy stuff" or "speaker X does have too much high end treble for my taste"
..My theory: Could the reviewer not just compensate things like that with a nice eq in the fx-loop?
Really, I read a lot of reviews and I often watch people arguing about the general amount of bass and treble making them like or dislike a speaker, instead of talking about the overall characteristics of the speaker, clarity, presence, punch, stuff like that.
As far as my experience with audio and guitars go, you can catch shrill highs or push weak bass with the wise use of an equalizer, if you like the overall character of the sound, which is created mainly in the mid fequencies.
Am I on the right way with these thoughts or do I misunderstand something completely? Tell me what you think about that stuff!
Thank you!
Right-wing morons, go suck my d#ck!

Check out my friends' bands...
Unrepentant (melodic death metal) >> YouTube | Soundcloud | facebook
Blutgericht (metalcore) >> YouTube | facebook
Support your local scene!
Speakers have a different EQ emphasis from one to another.
So no a simple adjustment of the amps EQ will not always do what's needed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jWK0sa7tlfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2j9MwBC22ZA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
We simplify by saying things like "more bass" but the character is far more complicated than that. Bumping frequencies with an EQ often results in far more than just "more/less bass" situations - you get different harmonics, different distortion, emphasis, etc., and there's far more to sound than just EQ settings.

An EQ is a filter, just like paint or glasses or a camera lens. It can distort, mask, or alter what's in front of it, but it cannot re-shape an object. It can only color our experience of it. A speaker, on the other hand, is a vital organ in the amplification process, and so it is the object itself, or at least a part of it. Its characteristics are important and difficult to alter because it's creating the sound we hear, not merely altering it. It's the interface between a bunch of electrons in your amp and your ears.

Plus, it's the last thing in the signal chain so it gets "final say" in what sound is created. It's going to put its fingerprint on the tone no matter what your EQ looks like.
yeah thats like saying an EQ pedal can turn your les paul into a strat....there more going on than that. or...giving a benz a body kit pretty much makes it a BMW.

speakers have their own flavor. i mean, just listen to those vids!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Roc8995

Plus, it's the last thing in the signal chain so it gets "final say" in what sound is created. It's going to put its fingerprint on the tone no matter what your EQ looks like.

That's what i was going to say. the speaker comes after the eq in the chain so it's going to affect things regardless of the eq's being there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^+3
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by offspring93
Could the reviewer not just compensate things like that with a nice eq in the fx-loop?
For the most part, yes, but frequency response is just one of the things that affect the sound that comes out of speakers, so even if you compensated for that completely you'd still not have a clean tone if you're talking guitar speakers.
Quote by offspring93
Really, I read a lot of reviews and I often watch people arguing about the general amount of bass and treble making them like or dislike a speaker, instead of talking about the overall characteristics of the speaker, clarity, presence, punch, stuff like that.
That's 'cause frequency response is a relatively easy thing to understand, to discern, and to put into words in a review.
Quote by offspring93
As far as my experience with audio and guitars go, you can catch shrill highs or push weak bass with the wise use of an equalizer, if you like the overall character of the sound, which is created mainly in the mid fequencies.
Again, up to a point, yes, but speakers have limitations much bigger than frequency response.

If you went for an 8" guitar speakers you wouldn't be able to get the sound you wanted out of it if the sound you have in mind has a big peak in the 80Hz region.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.