Hey everyone, new here and need some gear advice.

I need a new amp and been using a crappy line 6 SS amp as a noob, now want to upgrade to a tube amp.
Im looking for the "brown" sound and need it in a small package, this is for bedroom use so stacks are not an option.
I was thinking of picking up a used traynor YCV20 for asking $350 CAD. Read on here some good things about this amp especially for the brown sound. First of all is that a good price? and is this the amp that will fit my needs?
I am open to options and $ is not a problem, I plan to get pedals too after but for now need a good amp!
Quote by dazzzer30
if its for the bedroom you will be probably better off with SS

Don't listen to this guy, tubes are life!
Not sure on what specific amp will get that sound (a quick Google of the brown sound indicates it's a Van Halen style tone, correct?), but if it's a tube amp for bedroom playing you won't need more than the 20 watt Traynor. My 15 watt Blues Junior is more than enough for bedroom levels, however I think you'll be hard pressed to find a metal-style tube amp under 15 watts.
Quote by nathan:-)
Not sure on what specific amp will get that sound (a quick Google of the brown sound indicates it's a Van Halen style tone, correct?), but if it's a tube amp for bedroom playing you won't need more than the 20 watt Traynor. My 15 watt Blues Junior is more than enough for bedroom levels, however I think you'll be hard pressed to find a metal-style tube amp under 15 watts.

Yep van halen tone!
I went to the store to try out a tube and man it made a difference..
Well its for a bedroom - living room but I live in a corner unit apartment and I don't feel like getting kicked out yet.

This kinda tone please.. I know I cant without a plexi but something similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPB-d6lJQiE
How about a Peavey Valveking 20? They have some pretty high gain and aren't that expensive
The Orange tiny will be more versatile being 15w and you'll even be able to choose speaker size and cab. Good idea!
Quote by nathan:-)
I didn't say tubes where bad but I can see your biased towards solid state amps , Personally at bed room volumes I don't think you would notice between the two anyway , There are some great High gain solid state amps out there and for a bedroom even 5 watt tube with distortion cranked is very loud .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Jan 21, 2015,
Quote by kimchi604
Yep van halen tone!
I went to the store to try out a tube and man it made a difference..

Right.

Now go to the Wampler Pedals site and listen to a Pinnacle. http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/pinnacle/

Bear in mind that your beloved tube amp won't develop enough of anything to really make a difference before your neighbors are at your door with pitchforks and torches.

Honestly, for where you're playing, buying a tube amp is a waste of bucks.
Quote by dspellman
Bear in mind that your beloved tube amp won't develop enough of anything to really make a difference before your neighbors are at your door with pitchforks and torches.

Honestly, for where you're playing, buying a tube amp is a waste of bucks.

I disagree, tube amps don't need to be cranked to get a good sound. They definitely open up and sound better as you turn the volume up from min, but that doesn't mean the volume needs to be maxed. Especially when going for a tone that is [or can be done with] mainly preamp distortion.
RIP Gooze

cats
Peavey's new 6505 mini head, out later in 2015 perhaps
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Peavey's new 6505 mini head, out later in 2015 perhaps

This. After all, it is VH's signature amp with a different name.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
The 6505 mini may be pretty cool but I doubt it will come in under 350 CAR with a cab. Look for a used 6505+ combo. You may have stretch the budget a little but it should be worth it. For VH you'd probably want the crunch channel.

Also for bedroom use don't underestimate the sounds you can get from a good Line 6 POD like the HD500x or from playing on a computer with something like Peavey Revalver. The POD option is good as you can repurpose it later when you start playing out. You can actually turn your spider into just a speaker for the POD now if you want sound.

If I had to do it all over again an actual amp would be low on the list for home practicing.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I agree with you and would stay away from any of the Line 6 material.

A used 6505 Plus and cabinet is not going to keep you in your apartment complex.

You need something that will sound good at low soft levels, without whomping bass vibes that travel thru concrete and shake foundations.

There are a lot of good choices out there. I have several "real" amps, all tube amps with "power". But I also picked up a Vox NOS (new old stock) VT30, which sounds like it might do the job for you, that has all sorts of amp models and effects and a tube - a hybrid amp. It sounds way better than any Line 6 stuff to me. It has a ten inch half way decent speaker but really has a lot of great models and effects - plus it has a full range attenuator on the back, so you can get your tone and then turn the attenuator way down and listen to the amp at a whisper. It's not exactly the same but cool.

You can spot those Vox Valvetronix VTxx amps from across the store because of their unsightly chrome glare. Hence the appropriate nick name "Chromies". I think a decent Chromie would serve you well with its single tube to warm things up.

There are some decent all tube quiet amps too. The Fender Super Champ X2 is a very cool hybrid amp with a power tube section and digital preamps. It models 16 Fender type amps and more, plus has a few essential effects. It's a good amp. It has two 6V6 power tubes and one pre-amp tube, which is a decent start toward being a tube amp.

You might like the Micro Terror Orange amp head - super small; and hook it up to a real decent sensitive speaker. That would probably be quite satisfying and you could pick up a few essential pedals.

I think real pedals do a far better job than multi-pedals or so called pods, floorboards, etc. Real individual pedals have more adjustability and sound like they are supposed to because they are what they are, not something trying to be something else, like the multi-pedals, pods, etc. A real "Carbon Copy" delay with a slight amount of switchable chorus is a real nice individual pedal, for instance.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by DuffB
I agree with you and would stay away from any of the Line 6 material.

A used 6505 Plus and cabinet is not going to keep you in your apartment complex.

You need something that will sound good at low soft levels, without whomping bass vibes that travel thru concrete and shake foundations.

There are a lot of good choices out there. I have several "real" amps, all tube amps with "power". But I also picked up a Vox NOS (new old stock) VT30, which sounds like it might do the job for you, that has all sorts of amp models and effects and a tube - a hybrid amp. It sounds way better than any Line 6 stuff to me. It has a ten inch half way decent speaker but really has a lot of great models and effects - plus it has a full range attenuator on the back, so you can get your tone and then turn the attenuator way down and listen to the amp at a whisper. It's not exactly the same but cool.

You can spot those Vox Valvetronix VTxx amps from across the store because of their unsightly chrome glare. Hence the appropriate nick name "Chromies". I think a decent Chromie would serve you well with its single tube to warm things up.

There are some decent all tube quiet amps too. The Fender Super Champ X2 is a very cool hybrid amp with a power tube section and digital preamps. It models 16 Fender type amps and more, plus has a few essential effects. It's a good amp. It has two 6V6 power tubes and one pre-amp tube, which is a decent start toward being a tube amp.

You might like the Micro Terror Orange amp head - super small; and hook it up to a real decent sensitive speaker. That would probably be quite satisfying and you could pick up a few essential pedals.

I think real pedals do a far better job than multi-pedals or so called pods, floorboards, etc. Real individual pedals have more adjustability and sound like they are supposed to because they are what they are, not something trying to be something else, like the multi-pedals, pods, etc. A real "Carbon Copy" delay with a slight amount of switchable chorus is a real nice individual pedal, for instance.

A line 6 POD HD is a great little thing. Better sounding that the Micro Terror has a ton more options. Don't hate a brand just because they put out the Spider amps.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on