I've never used a delay pedal before, but MF had a great deal on the Hardwire DL-8, so I picked one up. I get how delay is used for the whole ambient, trippy type of music, but I don't play that. I just play standard rock and blues, along with some funk, so I'm curious how to use delay in this context. The slap-back setting sounds nice, but it's pretty similar to reverb at that point.

What are some other ways to use this effect? I guess I'm just not really seeing a reason to keep it on my board, but it seems like everyone uses it so I feel like I'm missing out on something here.
Well, Neil Young has used echo & delay effects for several pieces over the years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3jnu1yJO0&sns=em

Ditto Robin Trower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJg77sj3bb8&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 20, 2015,
Delay can be used in a couple of different ways. The people already mentioned generally used the older tape based Echoplex, which used a tape loop at various speeds to create a wide variety of echoes.

David Gilmour also uses one, Eric Johnson, and a lot of other people.

Mine is a Arion Analog Delay, older pedal but should work similar to the newer model you're getting. Most of the time I hear either one or two echoes at different timings and presence levels. I like to set mine for one echo at a medium level, more than that tends to be distracting to me when I play.

How you set it is pretty much personal preference, play around with it and see what you like, you might like a fairly strong single echo or two or three weaker ones. Depending on the model it may also be able to give you a good flanger or chorus effect as well when needed. That was the best thing about my older Ibanez rack mount unit, it had a couple of excellent flanger and chorus settings. Again you have to tinker with those to learn how to use them. Unfortunately my unit went belly up a few years ago and I've had to learn to live without it...

Best thing to do is spend some time with it and learn what it will do and how to use it. Classic rock and blues is mostly what I play, and I use my Arion in place of reverb because I never really cared for the sound of a reverb unit except when you can barely tell it's on. So I set mine to do about what a reverb does but with a definite echo. You can also get good results by doing the same thing but letting it echo 2 or 3 times, but if you let it get too long an echo it can be distracting and even make you make mistakes. I found that out one night when someone else kept telling me I needed more echo so I kept turning the Arion up and started having a really hard time with leads. Then found out I had it giving me 5 echoes, so I couldn't tell if I was hearing the note I just played or the echo from two notes before that...

Also, it will probably produce a more pronounced effect when running through a overdrive or distortion pedal. So keep that in mind and check it out on your rig.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I found that out one night when someone else kept telling me I needed more echo so I kept turning the Arion up and started having a really hard time with leads. Then found out I had it giving me 5 echoes, so I couldn't tell if I was hearing the note I just played or the echo from two notes before that...

Only The Edge can typically get good results with that much of the effect...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I use one sparingly. Sometimes it is a good effect for the last 1/2 of a solo to put some stank on it ala Jimi, or if you are covering U2 you will typically use a lot of delay. If yours has a tap tempo, matching the delay to your kick drum results in a good vibe. 2-3 repeats mixed in just enough to make things interesting works for me. I also put it after the OD but before reverb when possible.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
i only have analog delays, but have only really learned in the last few days since i got my second delays. i run probably a 200ms with 40% mix, and two repeats (on average).

it works out nicely fills in tone a little bit.

if you set the mix a little more and maybe a little more repeats, you will get a screaming blues solo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So the trick seems to be to keep the repeats low. I haven't been doing that, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Quote by 757ian123
So the trick seems to be to keep the repeats low. I haven't been doing that, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

pretty much. more of a slapback type thing with a longer delay and maybe a bit of the third repeat.

mess around with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I only really use delays in 2 ways; dubby style delays through the front of the amp (usually 5-6 repeats, 300ms, 40-50% mix) or very percussive rhythmic type delays where it syncs up to my playing perfectly.
I agree with the shoter delay times 200-300 MS and only one to 3 repeats to be in the background of the guitar signal. With the right amount of short delay and limited repeats I can play with the delay turned on a lot and it fills out the sound well.

I do have some setting for longer delays in the 400+ ms range with longer repeats but I think of them more as effects unto themselves that are more like "look at me" sounds. Great for some songs where you specifically want the delay to create it's own signature and be a centerpiece of the song.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pretty much. more of a slapback type thing with a longer delay and maybe a bit of the third repeat.

mess around with it.

Character of the overall tonal mix matters, too. Didn't you just recently score a lo-fi delay?

In that Neil Young's Deadman sample I linked to, his overall tone progressively decays from a very clean and sparse, lonesome, tone that sounds like it was played in a desert canyon to a gritty distorted tone that sounds like the canyon walls are crumbling...

Very evocative.

I like to use Delay after playing a note then behide it have loads of reverb/delay and let it faint like here. Skip to 4:27
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I5zjzAUQocA
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Delay is for when you don't want it to get there quite yet, but pretty soon.
And maybe pretty soon again just behind when it just got there, and then pretty soon again after that.

I crack me up.
For lead playing generally you'll want a subtle delay - so low mix and only a few repeats.
Longer delay time [or more repeats or mix] for slower solos, whereas a shorter delay time can help give clarity through faster passages.

The important thing is to experiment and be creative.
RIP Gooze

cats
Does it have "sweep echo" like the DL4? If so, that's pretty cool for some funky blues rhythms.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Does it have "sweep echo" like the DL4? If so, that's pretty cool for some funky blues rhythms.

It doesn't say sweep echo, but it might have something similar with a different name. It has a pretty good variety of delay options.

I was messing around with the shorter delay times and repeats today, and it's definitely more "useable" now. I still wouldn't feel the need to bring it to band practice or a gig, but that's just my personal preference.
If you don't have a chorus or reverb, a delay works for that.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I use my delay two ways. either as a slapback, or as a slower sort of sound for my solos. listen to joe bonamassa's solos or david gilmour for the sort of sound im talking about
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Character of the overall tonal mix matters, too. Didn't you just recently score a lo-fi delay?

In that Neil Young's Deadman sample I linked to, his overall tone progressively decays from a very clean and sparse, lonesome, tone that sounds like it was played in a desert canyon to a gritty distorted tone that sounds like the canyon walls are crumbling...

Very evocative.

yea i did, i have the regular malekko ekko 616 too in addition to the 616-LOFI.

i love the lofi. you need to make the mix a little higher than the normal volume, but if the regen stays low it is awesome.

on both pedals the sweet spot for me on every knob is 11:00, then set the mod on off or dialed in where i want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!