what speaker would go best in a cab with a 5f1? i am pretty much set on 12".

should i go with a jensen? which one? or a greenback? creamback?

MUST be 8 Ohms.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd go with a Jensen
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jensen P12R if you absolutely want a 12" speaker, else a P10R.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Jensen P12R if you absolutely want a 12" speaker, else a P10R.

for what reason? i realize that the 10 may be more standard for the time, but i haven't really ever been satisfied with a 10" speaker. granted not behind a 5f1, but i am unsure.

more thoughts?

i may consider WGS if the have what i need.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
depends on the tone you want, but if you want it to be as vintage-accurate as possible I'm guessing look up what the 5f1 originally came with and then either get the current jensen version or a more boutique-style reissue/clone.

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-narrow-panel-tweed-champ/

"Speaker:

Size: 1 x 6″ or 1 x 8″
Impedance: 4 ohms
Model: Jensen p8T, Oxford 8EV or CTS AlNiCo(For more info, check out the Jensen Replacement Speakers)"

(I haven't tried the 5f1, i have a vht special 6 and fame tube 5 which are more blackfacey and silverfacey (?) respectively, at least I think so )

EDIT: yeah if you want a 12" speaker then you'd probably look up the closest 12" equivalent to those speaker types.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 21, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for what reason?
The 5f1 traditionally uses a P8T afaIk, it's a part of its sound, a 12" speaker doesn't sound like a 5f1 and a 10" would sound more like one.

It's also a very small (power-wise) amp, so trying to get a consistent quantity of bass at medium volumes is not gonna work, it's not gonna sound the way you'd expect a big amp to sound, it can't do that.

The reason of bigger speakers is better reproduction of bass.
If you can't really get much bass out of it anyway, focus on getting a very good mid and high end out of it - bigger speakers are heavier, and heavier speakers distort your high end if they're not good enough, and no guitar speaker is good enough.

So in short you'll get a less harsh high end and you'll get closer to the trademark 5f1 sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Weber. I think a 5F1 will push a 12" but a smaller speaker in the right cab might sound better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Spambot_2
The 5f1 traditionally uses a P8T afaIk, it's a part of its sound, a 12" speaker doesn't sound like a 5f1 and a 10" would sound more like one.

It's also a very small (power-wise) amp, so trying to get a consistent quantity of bass at medium volumes is not gonna work, it's not gonna sound the way you'd expect a big amp to sound, it can't do that.

The reason of bigger speakers is better reproduction of bass.
If you can't really get much bass out of it anyway, focus on getting a very good mid and high end out of it - bigger speakers are heavier, and heavier speakers distort your high end if they're not good enough, and no guitar speaker is good enough.

So in short you'll get a less harsh high end and you'll get closer to the trademark 5f1 sound.
Who the **** uses the stock speaker in a 5F1? You plug them into 12" cabs, noob.

I run my 5F1 into a greenback clone. It sounds really good. It was made in Melbourne so it probably isn't a viable option for you but any greenbacky thing will sound good. Depends on what sound you are going for really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cajundaddy
Weber. I think a 5F1 will push a 12" but a smaller speaker in the right cab might sound better.

weber is a good idea. i have his bias probe and it works great, i hear nothing but good thing on his speakers though.

what do you think about the 10" or 12" ?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Go with your gut and get a 12"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Go with your gut and get a 12"

probably will. but i also do not have a 10" speaker (other than bass amp), which could be a good for variety. but i think i will just do the 12".

or i may email weber and see what they say.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well the question is pretty simple - do you want it to sound big or small? A 5F1 will drive a 4x12 without trouble, a 1x12 is child's play.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well the question is pretty simple - do you want it to sound big or small? A 5F1 will drive a 4x12 without trouble, a 1x12 is child's play.

i will just go for a 12"

how would the greenback compare to the jensen? i have never owned either. but i am familiar with how the greenback sounds. and i do have a pair of 20w EVH celestions which are pretty greenback-esque.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The greenback will tame the top end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
weber is a good idea. i have his bias probe and it works great, i hear nothing but good thing on his speakers though.

what do you think about the 10" or 12" ?

Well 2 of my amps are feeding 10s and the other 2 are feeding 12s. Yes. I like em both and they do have subtle differences. Both sound good though. 10s seem a little quicker/punchier and 12s a little more round tone. Bass response is more about cabinet design than speaker size and 10s in a thiele ported cab sound pretty fat.

All my 10s are currently Jensens but I did have a Weber 10 in a Blackface Princeton that worked great. Never should have sold that one.

My current 12s are V30, G12H30 Heritage, and EVM. I have been through a bunch of 12s over the years including Jensen C12, Jensen P12 Alnico, Altec 417, JBL D120, Emi Private Jack, Emi "Fender Special Design". My personal favorites so far are the V30 and the 417 but the Altecs weigh a TON. The only one I really never liked was the Jensen P12 Alnico and we never bonded.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cathbard
Who the **** uses the stock speaker in a 5F1? You plug them into 12" cabs, noob.
I don't like how the sound of 12" guitar speakers go with the sound of 5f1's.

To each his own, noob
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 22, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard

i run my little fame tube 5 into the stock 6" jensen sounds pretty good, and keeps the volume down (a bit)

but yeah they sound better into a bigger speaker. though as spambot says, if you're trying to be as vintage as possible the smaller, closer to original speaker is probably the thing. as you said in another post, depends on what you want.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i will just go for a 12"

how would the greenback compare to the jensen? i have never owned either. but i am familiar with how the greenback sounds. and i do have a pair of 20w EVH celestions which are pretty greenback-esque.

aren't the evh celestions pretty much heritage greenbacks?

in my (limited) experience jensens (and ones a bit like jensens, like eminence patriots etc.) sound quite a bit different from greenbacks.

it's kind of hard to explain if you haven't heard it. I'm not much good at tone words but it's like the midrange is in a different place or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 22, 2015,