I don't know. Where have you seen this tuning being used?

Those notes form a F#m9 chord so you could call it the "F#m9 tuning".
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
To communicate it to other people with ease. +1 to F#m9.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin

Not sure how experienced you are with alternate tunings but they're not generally something that can be communicated easily (beyond the common tunings like Open D and Open G) due to the large number of possible voicings as well as functionality.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah, I would just call it F# A C# F# G# e. If someone asks you could explain why you chose it but I wouldn't give it a name unless you wanted to do so just for fun.
Yeah, if your friends ask about the tuning you are using, F#m9 doesn't really tell that much to them because it's not a common tuning. They can't know the tuning of individual strings if you just say you are tuned to F#m9. But as ouchies said, naming it may help you remember it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You already asked this same question and got the same answer from me over a week ago. Did you already forget?
Quote by Jet Penguin

But calling it F#m9 doesn't actually mean much...

Yes, we know what notes are included in the tuning. And? It tells us nothing else, like which strings are tuned to what, etc. Saying "My tuning is F#, A, C#, F#, G#, e" is a lot more useful than saying "M tuning is F#m9".
F#m9 tuning isn't neccesarily as an aid, as it is a reference point. It depends upon what you know. If I saw the tuning, I could divine what chord it's tuned to. That's useful

I could use that information to determine the chord forms of other chords that I wished to make.

For example, I see that a single finger changes it to dominant, from minor,

2 fingers changes it to a major 7th. It really depends upon what you know, to start with.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
F#m9 tuning isn't neccesarily as an aid, as it is a reference point. It depends upon what you know. If I saw the tuning, I could divine what chord it's tuned to. That's useful

I could use that information to determine the chord forms of other chords that I wished to make.

For example, I see that a single finger changes it to dominant, from minor,

2 fingers changes it to a major 7th. It really depends upon what you know, to start with.

Best,

Sean

I think this is a really good point. I didn't even think of that but if I were playing in that tuning or any alternate tuning, I would definitely think this way.
Quote by ouchies
Yeah well now you only have 5 notes to choose from instead of 12.

That is the combination of notes that form the tuning is 15,625 instead of 2,985,984. A 99.47% decrease.

Quote by ouchies
Yeah well now you only have 5 notes to choose from instead of 12.

That is the combination of notes that form the tuning is 15,625 instead of 2,985,984. A 99.47% decrease.

Pardon?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
+10000 to ouchies and Sean

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
math2death

Quote by Jimjambanx
You already asked this same question and got the same answer from me over a week ago. Did you already forget?

Not at all. You told me to ask under a different thread, so I did to double check.
Quote by DirtyHeadKevin
Not at all. You told me to ask under a different thread, so I did to double check.

I told you that this question belonged in a different thread, but I still gave you the answer, and provided proof by listing all the intervals. A 2 second google search would have shown you that those intervals create that chord. You don't have to take everything so literally mate.