so i stopped making NPDs for a while, because i just went through way too much gear. but i haven't bought that much recently, and i'm pretty happy with these two new pedals, so i feel that warrants a thread.

morley maverick and boss frv-1.

maverick:

my first wah ever was a bad horsie. after owning a shit-tone of wahs like crybaby, rmc, wilson, amt, and a few others, i've come full circle back to morley. after downsizing my PT pro to a 2, and selling my last wah, i programmed an autowah patch on my mobius, and left it at that. but i missed having a manual wah more than i thought i would. so i cleared some space and managed to squeeze on the maverick.

it sounds like my bad horsie did. full-range and deep. amazing for high-gain stuff. pretty good on cleans. the sweep wasn't quite where i wanted it out of the box, so i fiddled around inside and now it's great. also, i was pleasantly surprised to find the wah-off delay trimpot inside. happy to have a wah back on the board.

frv-1:

so it all started when i bought the randall rm. it doesn't have a reverb on board. and though i didn't play much with reverb, i kinda missed it. i always liked a touch of spring reverb in the background, so i looked long and hard for a compact pedal with a spring reverb model that worked in the rm's line level effects loop, and ended up with the hardwire rv-7. it was excellent, though the spring was a bit tame. before long i wanted something that was a bit more outrageous. still couldn't find any spring reverb that could handle line level that wasn't TC, strymon, or an actual spring unit. so i managed to dial a short room reverb out of my dd-20 to have on all the time (just to fill out the sound), and resolved to run a spring reverb out the front for surf tonez. so without further ado...

this is boss's COSM take on the fender 63 spring tank. it's flipping amazing. apparently a lot of dudes who are used to gigging with outboard spring units are happy gigging with this pedal. it gives a bit of grit and gnarl to your signal at higher settings, which i really like. splash for dayz, and yeah, just nails the surf vibe. the mix control is great, you can really dial it in or out, and it doesn't go fully wet. a lot of guys complain about the reverb being harsh. they should listen to more surf, and realise that surf reverb is harsh #justTGPthings. plus if you turn the tone all the way down, you get a nice warm non-spring ambience. so overall, super happy with this one.

i might post clips later if i can be bothered.

edit: clips. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23087951/Wah%20Reverb.m4a
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jan 25, 2015,
sweet

i was half-thinking of the maverick for a while (but it was hard to find here for some reason, at least at a half-sensible price). I went off the idea, but it wouldn't take much to tempt me back into it.

that's interesting about the boss too. I didn't realise it was so sought-after. admittedly, while i really like spring reverb, i like other types of reverb too so my hardwire is handy for that. but that's pretty sweet if it nails the fender-style spring reverb.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice score! Been looking at a reverb pedal and the boss one seems super cool.

HNPD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
so because this thread was such a roaring success, i've updated it with a quick clip of the wah and reverb. man they sound good.

(i haven't used a wah in ages, don't judge me)

edit: also one thing i don't like about the frv-1: it does reverse tails. so when you click it off, it cuts off the tails, but when you click it on, it adds in the tails of what you were just playing, as if the signal was going through the pedal the whole time. which come to think of it, it was not by any means a dealbreaker, though. still ****ing awesome.
Mavericks are cool, aint they?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah man, so glad i got one. shit thing is, bought one new, and then a week later one pops up on melband for $60 less.

oh man, this has happened to me more times than I care to keep count of
HNPD!

Out of interest, how does the frv-1 sound in front of the amp?
I may have to track one down sometime to A/B with my outboard unit.
i'm running it in front of the amp. sounds delish. in the clip it's going into the blackface module. it sounds pretty nuts in front of the 1086 unless i turn the gain down, and it's completely unusable in front of the grailplate.

edit: i can't run this in the loop, by the way. not enough headroom.
That's a very splashy splash, HNPD! I know what ya mean bout wanting a wah for random occasions. I recently picked up a basic Morley wah, its fun to screw around with but I'm pretty horrible at using it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
yeah wah is one of those effects that i don't use very often, but really miss when i take it off my board. i guess i'm just so used to having one - a morley bad horsie was my first proper pedal, after all.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i'm running it in front of the amp. sounds delish. in the clip it's going into the blackface module. it sounds pretty nuts in front of the 1086 unless i turn the gain down, and it's completely unusable in front of the grailplate.

edit: i can't run this in the loop, by the way. not enough headroom.

ah cool, I thought that might have been the case. Oh well, its traditionally meant to be in front anyway right?! Would probably be tasty into some sort of bassman module as well..

Funny about wahs. I have always loved them and thought I was good at using one tastefully, always good fun at practoce / jams etc, until I tried using one at a gig... I rocked it back and forth maybe 4 times before thinking wtf am I doing??
The maverick seems to have a decent buffer too. I run it up front of everything.
But the best part of them is the action. When I go back to my PWA, it feels gargantuan. The throw on the Maverick is just nice. I prefer it to the pedal on the GT-100 too. It's just nicer to use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice clip
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?