So im planning on picking up a Squier Affinity Tele this weekend for gigging and what not. Im also planning on spending $100 or so to make it a gig worthy guitar on the level of a CV or MIM. Want to make it sound pretty versatile, for classic covers from Led Zeppelin to ACDC.

I will probably change the pickups, bridge and electronics. I was thinking of getting GFS electronics and bridge, heard good things about their electronics but not much on their bridges. Still not sure on pickups however kinda wanted a hot bridge and mellow neck pickup so i could get a wide-ish range of tones. I might go through GFS again for pickups and do it all in one order but I am open to other p'up suggestions.

Anyone got better in mind or anything else i can do to make an affinity tele play better? I could probably stretch budget a little for the right bits. Thanks
Last edited by zach9600 at Jan 21, 2015,
I've heard lots of good things about GFS pickups. Right now I'm waiting for a set of their overwound strat pickups to put in... a squire affinity . (I imagine there's probably a quarter of a million squiers that have been renovated with GFS pups.)
Quote by transformed
I've heard lots of good things about GFS pickups. Right now I'm waiting for a set of their overwound strat pickups to put in... a squire affinity . (I imagine there's probably a quarter of a million squiers that have been renovated with GFS pups.)

If you're just looking for cheap pickups, try Warmanguitars.co.uk they are kinda gfs except less commercial. It's run by one guy, Josi Warman and I spoke to him over email and he seems like a nice enough guy. Their $30 texas strat pickups sounded great in my strat copy, as do the quadrail/hb90 I have in one of my other guitars. If I don't get gfs or fender pickups I'll go through Warman again.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the list @robbgnarley i added all those to my cart and went to check out to see how much shipping was and they wanted $40 just for those bits, making my total $190 Aussie dollars. Might have to pass for now...
Last edited by zach9600 at Jan 22, 2015,
Quote by zach9600
Thanks for the list @robbgnarley i added all those to my cart and went to check out to see how much shipping was and they wanted $40 just for those bits, making my total $190 Aussie dollars. Might have to pass for now...

If the guitar stays in tune, forget the tuners for now, the pickup is a deff get. Then you can get just full sized alpha pots for the controls and solder them in the existing tele control plate. You can get them locally for a few dollars each if you can solder (which is not hard to learn) if you have a modern 6 saddle bridge you will be just fine, if not a new modern tele bridge would be ideal. So I'd go for the pickups and upgrade the pots yourself a cheap soldering iron will not cost more than $5-$10.

or look in your local CL,Gumtree for deals on parts. you'd be surprised at the deals you can get
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If the guitar stays in tune, forget the tuners for now, the pickup is a deff get. Then you can get just full sized alpha pots for the controls and solder them in the existing tele control plate. You can get them locally for a few dollars each if you can solder (which is not hard to learn) if you have a modern 6 saddle bridge you will be just fine, if not a new modern tele bridge would be ideal. So I'd go for the pickups and upgrade the pots yourself a cheap soldering iron will not cost more than $5-$10.

or look in your local CL,Gumtree for deals on parts. you'd be surprised at the deals you can get

I've changed pickups and wired a strat before so soldering isn't new to me . So far i've bought a wilkinson brass bridge and ferrules and ill mount them, i was gonna go just the saddles but the whole brige is a POS so might as well change it all. I'll get the gfs wiring harness as well as a few other cosmetic items. That leave me left with a pickup decision.

I was going to buy a set of the GFS pro '52 ones. But then i saw the Ironstone tele set they use decent magnets and the info i can find on them looks promising. Their also a bit cheaper...
Last edited by zach9600 at Jan 23, 2015,
Is it just me or do "cheap" and "upgrade" not belong in the same sentence?
And "cosmetic items" really don't qualify as "upgrades" either, unless you're covering up holes <G>.
Quote by zach9600
I was going to buy a set of the GFS pro '52 ones. But then i saw the Ironstone tele set they use decent magnets and the info i can find on them looks promising. Their also a bit cheaper...

How do either of them compare to an OV Fender set?
The only GFS Tele pickups I have experience with are the Lil'Puncher (hot lead) in a Kit guitar I got a few Christmas ago. I think they are nice and close to a Duncan hot-rails.

Never heard of those pickups, but I would trust GFS because of my personal experiences with them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate