Just picked the guitar back up for the first time in 30 years,starting from the beginning again.really struggling to hold an a chord I've been at it for three weeks.is this normal ,will it just take time.
just a matter of time, it'll take a bit longer to get it fluently
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I was at the same place about 3 years ago. I found a good low priced electric (Epiphone SG 300) that had low action. The allowed me to play the chords easily and progress from there. Good luck with your comeback!
I'm assuming that's a barre chord you're talking about? - you should be able to hold an open chord with no trouble. It does help if you have a low action electric rather than a high action acoustic. If desperate you can try a capo on, say the second fret, tune the guitar down a tone, to make the action lower and reduce string tension. For barre chords remember that you only have to hold down the strings that the other fingers are not.

Or maybe it is the A major? if so try a different fingering: swap forefinger for middle finger, many people can't easily do the three in a row. I'm sure Justin shows this somewhere.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jan 21, 2015,
Tune down a whole step (D instead of E) for a while until you develop your hands and finger strength better. Next string change move to a lighter set.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the replays changed finger positions much better.patience and practice!
Well what fingering are you using? You can hold it with your pointer on the d string your middle on g and your ring finger on b but you could switch your middle finger and your ring or you could just barre it, so we really need to know how your fingering it.
Just switched to your first example much easier,was using middle index and little fingers.I've only been back playing for a bout a month,fingers still sore and aching,I don't think that helps.
Quote by DavidLiles
Just picked the guitar back up for the first time in 30 years,starting from the beginning again.really struggling to hold an a chord I've been at it for three weeks.is this normal ,will it just take time.

same here , bought an acoustic fender cd 60 , nice guitar but struggling with switching between chords …time and patience yes…any good info you can pass on?
Real novice here really, I think we have just got to practice practice practice.