Hey I'm saving for a real interface to replace the DJ/RCA interface+Microphone preamp I'm using, and I'm planning to purchase a whole sheabang type of deal so I can get more gear. I'm definitely getting the 2i4 and I'm thinking this package would do the job as far as adding on to the gear I have:2i4 BX5 Package

So what can people tell me about the products in this? It comes with:

All the cord stuff to hook this ditty up plus a mic stand.
A pair of M-Audio BX5's.
One MXL 990

I was also considering this package: 2i4 MXL 990

It's the same except that it has the gear and stuff to hook up Alesis Elevate 3's instead of the pair of M-Audio's.

I guess the biggest question is whether or not the M-Audio BX5's are worth an extra $130?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I'd much rather get a mackie onyx blackjack, a steinberg UR22 or a roland duo capture EX than a focustire 2i4, each and any of the three sound a lot better if ya ask me.

Also the mackie has more pre gain, which mean you can power more mics properly.
With a 2i4 for example you couldn't use an SM7B for shit.

The BX5 d2 are nice for the money, definitely better than the elevate 3's.
Though a pair of JBL LSR305 would be a lot better, and they go for as much as the BX2 d2 IIRC.

The MXL990 is mediocre at best and now they make them with PCB components so you can't even mod it to sound decent, don't get it and save your money for something like an NT-1A.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've got a lot of time to think about what I actually want because I'm saving in a cash fund, so I'm also considering buying an interface with more inputs, preferably XLR/1/4'' for versatility but after that. The number one option I've found for that is the PreSonus Audiobox

I'm also curious if there's any way I could utilize a larger interface with my computer as a mixing board in live situations?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about the 2i4, the preamps are some of the best and the interface doesn't suffer clipping unlike the audiobox or ur22. The Mackie is the best of the bunch, while the Roland has pretty poor preamps.

Most of this information I got from three independent music shops, who all said basically the same thing and gearslutz.

I've read a few times the ur22 and audio box suffer clipping on hot inputs.The 2i4 has a pad that gets around this, the roland has this feature too.
Last edited by AgelessStranger at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by AgelessStranger
I've heard nothing but good reviews about the 2i4, the preamps are some of the best and the interface doesn't suffer clipping unlike the audiobox or ur22. The Mackie is the best of the bunch, while the Roland has pretty poor preamps.

Most of this information I got from three independent music shops, who all said basically the same thing and gearslutz.

I've read a few times the ur22 and audiobix suffer clipping on hot inputs.The 2i4 has a pad that gets around this, the Roland has this feature too.

Yeah I know that the 2i4 and the Focusrite AI line in general is top of the line, which is why it's my number one choice, but looking at what will have value over a longer period of time, a larger interface that is more multi-functional would be awesome.

Edit: I'm comparing the PreSonus 1818vsl to the Focusrite 18i20, I've seen multiple reviews saying that the PreSonus's latency is so low it's utilizable in live situations, which is quite possibly what I would be using one of these devices the most right now would be to replace using in-house mixers when I travel to work with a country band that hires me. I haven't heard anything about Focusrite 18i20's ability to operate in a live context, but if it is able to work like that, the A/D conversion quality is worth an extra whatever, 70 bucks?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by AgelessStranger
I've heard nothing but good reviews about the 2i4
Just 'cause I can't be bothered writing any.
Quote by AgelessStranger
the preamps are some of the best
Now go and listen to them in person.
Quote by AgelessStranger
while the Roland has pretty poor preamps.
Same thing as before - go and listen to them in person.

I would take the roland over the focusrite anyday for any application.
Quote by AgelessStranger
You though should listen to stuff yourself so the opinion is yours instead of somebody else's.
If the opinion is not yours you might as well link another website or such and let TS read what others think about stuff.
Quote by snappedstrings6
I'm comparing the PreSonus 1818vsl to the Focusrite 18i20, I've seen multiple reviews saying that the PreSonus's latency is so low it's utilizable in live situations
If your computer's powerful enough the latency's gonna be just about the same.
Quote by snappedstrings6
which is quite possibly what I would be using one of these devices the most right now would be to replace using in-house mixers when I travel to work with a country band that hires me.
It's highly unpractical though.
First of all unless you've got a mac or a linux you shouldn't do that 'cause of the stability issues, then 8 inputs aren't much (say you have to mic up a drum kit), also you'd ideally want something that is sturdy and practical and that you can easily tweak, which is not really a computer.

If you want something for live mixing, it'd be ideal to get a mixer and be done with it.
Quote by snappedstrings6
I haven't heard anything about Focusrite 18i20's ability to operate in a live context, but if it is able to work like that, the A/D conversion quality is worth an extra whatever, 70 bucks?
The 1818 has little input headroom as much as the 22, so you'll likely overload the inputs if you run high-z signals through them.
The two sound just about the same.

If you want something bigger, get an onyx blackbird or an octa-capture or a UR824, they sound better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 25, 2015,
the scarletts are just fine.

i've used a 2i2 and bought a 18i20 recently.
they are nice, i think the pre-amps are pretty good but that is just a subjective thing.
i've had clipping problems with the 2i2 when Recording guitar because of the lack of a pad button
the 2i4 and bigger have pad buttons though.

But the truth is that you should try a couple of interfaces yourself before you buy one...

i really like the scarlett but others dislike them.
The only thing i hate about the scarlett is that Focusrite keeps F@cking up the drivers once in a while, but that happens i guess

Goodluck with your hunt
Quote by Spambot_2
Same thing as before - go and listen to them in person.

I have and I like them, a lot.

Quote by jaspervdv
But the truth is that you should try a couple of interfaces yourself before you buy one...

How would one do that?

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna look at the Onyx Blackbird, the Octa-capture and the UR824
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by snappedstrings6

How would one do that?

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna look at the Onyx Blackbird, the Octa-capture and the UR824

The bigger music stores have some demo interfaces and you can try your own mic and headphones on them. (i guess that would be easier than taking your monitors with you, but i think you can do that to if you want)

Oh, and the onyx blackbird is a firewire interface right? So keep that in mind.
I would go and try the UR824 if you dislike the scarlett, because the Octa-capture has a input volume thing (auto sense i believe) that had a mind of its own when trying to record something dynamic.
Quote by jaspervdv
The bigger music stores have some demo interfaces and you can try your own mic and headphones on them. (i guess that would be easier than taking your monitors with you, but i think you can do that to if you want)

Oh, and the onyx blackbird is a firewire interface right? So keep that in mind.
I would go and try the UR824 if you dislike the scarlett, because the Octa-capture has a input volume thing (auto sense i believe) that had a mind of its own when trying to record something dynamic.

Awesome I guess I'll go see if my local B and M will let me test drive some.

And thanks for the reminder about firewire.

I'm still really liking the presonus for its features as a whole but I'm gonna need to actually go and listen as you suggested so I might be taking a road trip to find a store that carries presonus.

Does anyone here mix with PreSonus studio one and how is it? From what i can tell the 1818VSL comes with a full license for it.

Update: Still saving up for this gear and my boss is giving me numerous hours so money is drooling in at a nice rate. Still looking into the 1818VSL, I haven't gotten to a B+M with this interface and my CPU is out for repairs, so not much to do about actually hearing the thing. My current plan is to get the 1818VSL and this ditty:

http://www.amazon.com/SKB-1skb19-rsf2u-Studio-Laptop-Handle/dp/B0041QR4AS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

To mount it in and transport my laptop with and eventually add an additional 8 XLR (/mic preamp section) with this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-DigiMax-Eight-Channel-Preamp-Output/dp/B0012Z4OBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424719562&sr=8-3&keywords=microphone+8+channel+preamp

Advice?
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

Last edited by snappedstrings6 at Feb 23, 2015,