Hey there! As the title says, I have some questions about guitar strings and the floyd rose tremolo. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Guitar Gear & Accessories section, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

First of all, if you have 9-42 strings on a floyd rose and change to 10-46, do you need to adjust intonation? Or is adjusting the springs enough? Since it's only a gauge up, probably the intonation will be fine, but I'm not sure...

I don't know if this matters for my first question, but I tune my strings a half step down.

Are 2 springs enough for 10-46 or do I need an extra spring for that gauge?

My third question is, do 10-46 strings wear the knife edges faster than 9-42 or there isn't any difference?

Lastly, are the D'addario EKXL strings worth it? It says that they are made for tremolo systems because they stay in tune better since they can handle higher tensions. Is this true or will I be fine with the regular EXL and save some money?

I think that's all!
Check the intonation after its in tune and the bridge is balanced. If it needs adjusting, adjust away.

How many springs you need depends on how far screwed in the claw is. I'd put a third spring in there anyway, just because it doesn't do any harm to back the claw off.

The difference in knife edge wear is negligible. I wouldn't worry about that.

The only difference D'addario EKXL's have from regular strings is that the ball ends are reinforced to help prevent the ball end from unravelling. But such a difference doesn't apply to Floyd Rose bridges because you cut off the ball end when you string it anyway.

Or if you're cool, you string the ball ends through the tuners. Which again, doesn't make any difference.

Stick with regular strings and save some money. They'll perform just as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Check the intonation after its in tune and the bridge is balanced. If it needs adjusting, adjust away.

How many springs you need depends on how far screwed in the claw is. I'd put a third spring in there anyway, just because it doesn't do any harm to back the claw off.

The difference in knife edge wear is negligible. I wouldn't worry about that.

The only difference D'addario EKXL's have from regular strings is that the ball ends are reinforced to help prevent the ball end from unravelling. But such a difference doesn't apply to Floyd Rose bridges because you cut off the ball end when you string it anyway.

Or if you're cool, you string the ball ends through the tuners. Which again, doesn't make any difference.

Stick with regular strings and save some money. They'll perform just as well.

Awesome answer man! Thank you very much