Hello, Long time i haven't posted here, haha think i was 16-17 when i used to post here.

Me and my old high school band got back together and we are alot more serious about it then we were say 4 years ago. I dropped the guitar and will concentrate on vocals from now on, but im still trying to find my style.

I've always been very interested in high pitch scratchy singing. Jack white does it often or RATM on songs like bulls on parade. almost like its sung in an old 50s radio broadcast microphone, or almost like singing over a fuzz pedal.

I heard once from unreliable source that this is achieved by singing in an harmonica microphone. can anyone confirm? or orient towards something that would achieve this effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vykb03GLs
this is jack white doing it on im shaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUdVZetaFE
A little less evident buts its there from De la Rocha on bulls on parade <3

if you have better example id be happy to eddit them in.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Distortion and a high pass filter.

You can do that with every mic in post processing, or you can run whatever mic through a guitar amp if you wanna keep things simple.
Just keep the mids very high and the distortion low.

No mic is gonna sound like that by itself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Haha. I have a mic that pretty much sounds like that by itself.

It's an AKG D50 or D80 or something. I'm pretty sure it's broken.

I keep it when I want that "Lo fi " sound.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Spambot_2

You can do that with every mic in post processing, or you can run whatever mic through a guitar amp if you wanna keep things simple.

Although mostly true, I believe there are some copper mics that do sound like that by themselves. They advertise in the back of Tape Op, and apparently Jack White has used them (although I doubt he's used them much, it only takes once to make the claim haha).

http://www.placidaudio.com/products/copperphone/
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Spambot_2

well did some research, i was more looking for a live solution and ive sung trough guitar amp before it doesnt exactly deliver the effect that i want, Did some research and found out the claim was true the sound is usually achieved by using a harmonica mic. they have hi impendence so they cant be run trought pa you have to run them trough an amp of some sort, or i think thats what i understood.
Fun fact. the copperphone looks like a harmonica mic itself.
Dunno if you remember in it might get loud Jack White has a guitar made with a hole in it where he store is second mic. i think that second mic is an harmonica microphone.

settings are very helpful when we get to recording, there we can work it just right but for live i think ill check for a cheap harmonica mic.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by ModestAxis

Dunno if you remember in it might get loud Jack White has a guitar made with a hole in it where he store is second mic. i think that second mic is an harmonica microphone.

It was, and he ran it through distortion. Harmonica mics aren't going to overload, your voice isn't more powerful than a harmonica. You will still need distortion after whatever mic you choose.

Besides, if this is for live, why did you post in recordings?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
It was, and he ran it through distortion. Harmonica mics aren't going to overload, your voice isn't more powerful than a harmonica. You will still need distortion after whatever mic you choose.

Besides, if this is for live, why did you post in recordings?

becuz im ******ed and in my ******ed brain it seemed the best place to get the info i wanted... im sorry.
so if i run an harmonica mic trough digital distortion of say... a guitar amp it should do what im looking for? or do i misunderstand?
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by ModestAxis
becuz im ******ed and in my ******ed brain it seemed the best place to get the info i wanted... im sorry.
so if i run an harmonica mic trough digital distortion of say... a guitar amp it should do what im looking for? or do i misunderstand?

It'll work though distortion, but at that rate ANY mic will do. Harp mics are VERY expensive. If you want a lo-fi distorted sound, just get a cheap Shure PG series mic and run it through any distortion pedal or amp distortion. Spend some time with the EQ and you'll get where you want to go
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
It'll work though distortion, but at that rate ANY mic will do. Harp mics are VERY expensive. If you want a lo-fi distorted sound, just get a cheap Shure PG series mic and run it through any distortion pedal or amp distortion. Spend some time with the EQ and you'll get where you want to go

well i found one peavey for 100 bucks new. guess at that price its probably shit. what if i plug my sm58 in a guitar or bass amp and run it trough a boss OD-X1 overdrive pedal, would that do what i want or is the sm58 too good its going to feedback like crazy? would i be able to run some ttest to see if i like it enough to invest more money in the tone?
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by axemanchris
Haha. I have a mic that pretty much sounds like that by itself.

It's an AKG D50 or D80 or something. I'm pretty sure it's broken.
Didn't think of that.

Get a cheap dynamic mic and break it TS, it's gonna sound like heaven.
If you're lucky and you break it right, that is...
Quote by ModestAxis
they have hi impendence so they cant be run trought pa you have to run them trough an amp of some sort, or i think thats what i understood.
Not all mics have high output impedance, not even all harmonica mics.

You need a pre of some sort, for example one you would find in a mixer, and you can most likely run whatever you want into a PA system.
Quote by ModestAxis
what if i plug my sm58 in a guitar or bass amp and run it trough a boss OD-X1 overdrive pedal, would that do what i want or is the sm58 too good its going to feedback like crazy?
It's likely going to create a lot of feedback 'cause the OD-X1 isn't gonna be able to distort your signal little enough, though mine's just a supposition based on experience and I have never tried an OD-X1 personally.

So by any means try this.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
This is the sound I use to get when I started recording in the 70's using the cheapo mics that came with cassette recorders and cheap reel to reel machines. I have run from this sound for 40 years. Can't imagine paying $250.00 for a mic that sounds like the throw away mics I gladly discarded all those years ago.
Quote by ModestAxis
well i found one peavey for 100 bucks new. guess at that price its probably shit. what if i plug my sm58 in a guitar or bass amp and run it trough a boss OD-X1 overdrive pedal, would that do what i want or is the sm58 too good its going to feedback like crazy? would i be able to run some ttest to see if i like it enough to invest more money in the tone?

If you already have all of those things, then rig them up and see how it sounds. No reason not to experiment with your equipment if you have it all right there.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Wait...did I say broken?

What I meant was "I have the AKG D50 with the axeman mod."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i tried runing the sm 58 to a Boss Distortion runed trough a bass amp. it didint feed too too bad but its not exactly the sound im looking for either maybe ill fiddle with it some more with different setting next band practice.
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112