Im looking to buy a new amp, I prefer combo but could do head and cab
budget: 800$
style: mostly led zep and hard rock ( gnr appetite for destruction)
Im near Montreal, used or new, tubes is my first choice
I play in my basement in my house so soundwise I can play louder than bedroom level and I play with a loud drummer every week

right now im looking at peavey classic 30, to get a more agressive sound ill use a pedal like a maxon od9 in front
Orange dual terror is tempting too, I dont want something too high gain, I rather have a warm overdriven sound and work with pedal if I need

so what do you guys suggest ?

by the way I play an old ibanez rg model I bought at a pawn shop for 150$ which to my surprise sounds better than the epiphone les paul custom I had which I paid 400$ that I thought would take me closer to page/slash sound... oh well
Find a used RM50/80/100 and shove one of these in it. It's pushing over limit budgetwise but if you want the Zep studio sound in a live setting, it's the way to go. Throw a Mash-all+ in it as well down the track to grab the live and later tones as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 22, 2015,
Orange is good. No fx loop though. Look at their other heads, Rockerverb if you can afford it.
Classic 30 also good, a bit more generic sounding though.
Look at Traynor blue series as well, Marshall dsl40, Crate Palomino (Classic 30 knockoff), AC30 (the original after which they knocked off the Classic 30), Carvin Tweed series.
Dual terror will sound too "modern" if ya ask me.

I'd go for a DSL401 or a blackheart BH15 (possibly BH100 if you find a good deal) or a JCA50.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A 22 watt Jet City head(The name escapes me) and some cab or the combo version of that.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
A 22 watt Jet City head(The name escapes me) and some cab or the combo version of that.
That would be the JCA22H, which is a 2ch 20w head.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Vox Night Train is very versatile and sounds good, should be plenty loud for live drummer, any 30 to 50 watt Marshall tube combo should do the job, any tube amp for that matter...the Peavey Classic 30 is a good little amp, a couple of minor modifications make it sound a whole lot better (needs more bass) but it's tedious to work on because the circuit board is folded into the chassis. Took me 30 minutes just to pull one apart, 10 minutes to do the soldering, another half hour to put it back together...I can have my Champ or Super Reverb out of the case and on the table in well under 5 minutes.

Page used several amps in the studio, including some Fenders and an old 60's Supro. Some of his leads were done by simply plugging into the mixer board too, and a lot of the time he put a mic in front and a mic in back of the amp as well. Usually combo amps. So it's not as cut and dried as what amp will get a Page type sound, but in general, any tube amp will do it. I can plug a Les Paul or Strat into my Champ and get really close to a lot of the stuff Page recorded. If you're familiar with "In My Time of Dying" my 1966 Harmony and a slide bar will nail it through the Champ...So will the Super Reverb but I have to use the overdrive pedal...

Anyway, moral of the story is, any tube amp will do the trick. I'd be willing to bet Page could pick up any Les Paul at your local music store, plug it into any tube amp sitting there, and sound like Page. I know I can pick up any guitar, plug into any tube amp, and sound like me. Same goes for any player actually. David Gilmour made that comment in an interview, plug a strat into a tube amp and hand it to Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Joe Walsh, virtually anybody, he'll sound like himself, and all on the same guitar and amp. That's because a lot of your sound is in your fingers...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
New Traynor's can actually come close to Page sounds. Both studio and live. They're certainly marshall-voiced.

I just recently got a Traynor YGL-2 for $400 on boxing day, and it's really versatile with any kind of guitar you put in it. It's got a US/UK switch, bright switch, vintage/modern switch, 2 channels, etc.

Definitely check them out if they have them in the shop!
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec