Has anyone had any experience playing both? I've seen a lot of positive reviews for the 2550 but basically nothing for the 3770. One thing I noticed is that the 3770 has a maple top and mahogany back opposed to basswood. I also really like the look of the 3770 but it's $600 more and hard to find so I probably wouldn't get to test it out before buying it.
i haven't tried either specific model, but unless ibanez has changed (and it might, i haven't tried any new prestiges for several years), normally once you hit the prestige range the quality is more or less the same across the board, just as you said, you get more expensive woods for the body and better pickups as the price goes up (EDIT: apparently ibanez has started using "real" dimarzios on the 2550 now as well so in this case the pickups are the same). So if you don't like basswood and/or really like mahogany/maple then it might be worth it. If you like basswood and don't need the cosmetics of the maple top then the 2550 is a lot cheaper. The 655 might be worth a look too, it has an original edge instead of the edge zero. Not sure how its price compares to the 2550, i'm guessing similar but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Since you're an RG fan I shall inform you the RG Prestige 655 is now available with either a rosewood fretboard or a maple fretboard.

I don't know what your budget is. I'm not sure if you're willing to spend $1200 for a new RG Prestige.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Bridge
Edge-Zero bridge w/ZPS3
Pickup
DiMarzio® Air Norton™
2nd Pickup
True Velvet™
3rd Pickup
The Tone Zone®

Super Wizard neck
Titanium Trussrod.
Mahogany body capped with Marple top.

Colours: Transparent Red or Transparent Blue.

But, it's a bit expensive!!!

I STILL WANT ONE, THOUGH... :P
Quote by ninjabunny2020

Mahogany body capped with Marple top.

Bit of a weird choice for the guitar's top, no? Unless we're going by the hello kitty metal guitar paradox...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry... I'm writing this via my cell phone. I did mean to write... 'Mahogany body with a Maple top!' :P I'm sorry for the mistake... I'll make sure I read it first before I post further comments. Loved the Miss. Marple pic - God, she was so HOT, wasn't she!? :P
Last edited by ninjabunny2020 at Mar 20, 2015,
Miss Marple wouldn't provide a very good long lasting choice of top. She'd be far too delicate, her skin too prone to tears, scratches, scrapes & stretching... She would, however, offer some degree of waterproofing. Thankfully, She could be stained or sprayed with lacquer & similar varnishes. A little moisturiser may help on occasion... but, only on an unvarnished body. :P
Last edited by ninjabunny2020 at Mar 21, 2015,
^ haha

(don't worry about checking what you write, i just thought it was funny it always seems to be that everytime you make a typo, it ends up being funny. happens to me too )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a 3550mz, 2570evsl and a 1570. i paid under $700 for the 3550mz, it was nos at GC. i paid $380 for the 2570esl (both me and the seller thought it was a 1570) so i saved a bit. and the 1570 i got form GC online for $480. i like them all, but the 1570 isn't as nice as the others.

the 3550mz came stock with dimarzios. the 2570evsl came with dimarzio/ibs, and i put a crunch lab and liquifire in, and the 1570 is going to get a pair of d-activators. the stock pickups in the latter two really sucked IMO. so i would plan on a pickups swap.

as far as the wood goes, i honestly don't know, but the basswood in the prestiges i have still has pretty good sustain, and is nice and lively. i spend a lot of time with them and they are great.

also, i have only seen one prestige in GC, that was the one i bought. they have had one since and i ask every time i go in. they are nice guitars, i wouldn't worry aboud buying blindly as long as described accurately. i have had problems with GC's used site. twice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
(EDIT: apparently ibanez has started using "real" dimarzios on the 2550 now as well so in this case the pickups are the same). So if you don't like basswood and/or really like mahogany/maple then it might be worth it. If you like basswood and don't need the cosmetics of the maple top then the 2550 is a lot cheaper. The 655 might be worth a look too, it has an original edge instead of the edge zero. Not sure how its price compares to the 2550, i'm guessing similar but

The current RG2550Z lists these pickups.

neck pickup DiMarzio® Air Norton™ (H) neck pickup (Passive/Alnico)
middle pickup DiMarzio® True Velvet™ (S) mid pickup (Passive/Alnico)
bridge pickup DiMarzio® The Tone Zone® (H) bridge pickup (Passive/Alnico)

and the RG3770FZ lists the same ones (so does the RG655M)

So yes, you get the same pickups. The RG2550Z & the RG3770FZ both have the "Edge-Zero tremolo bridge w/ZPS3" which makes them very comparable. However the RG655M has the original "Edge tremolo bridge".

I see these prices (in Aussie dollars) online on the prestige line:

RG3770FZ : $2,474.00 AUD
RG2550Z : $1,577.00 AUD ( $879 less than the RG3770 )
RG655: $1,499.00 AUD ( $78 less than the 2550 )

I've been tying to choose which one to buy as the guitar will be used for studio work. Frankly I am more fond of the look of the RG2550Z Mystic Night Metallic, than I am of the transparent red on the RG2550Z (I don;t normally get red guitars). However I'm not that fond of the "Wedge sharktooth inlay" on the RG2550 neck. The 655 has dots instead of sharktooth but it lacks the "Edge-Zero tremolo bridge". I want the zero edge tremolo, and I could get use to 'sharktooth' on the neck for $879 less.
Last edited by barleysinger at Nov 18, 2015,
nice goin.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have the RG2550z..a good guitar all around. The inlays never bothered me. I think you're gonna end up with a very similar playing experience and sound with both guitars, for a big price difference. I'd use that extra money to buy a Strat as well...
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
I have the RG2550z..a good guitar all around. The inlays never bothered me. I think you're gonna end up with a very similar playing experience and sound with both guitars, for a big price difference. I'd use that extra money to buy a Strat as well...

That $900 difference can be used elsewhere, though i was going to put it toward 'part' of the cost of a good acoustic with the LR Baggs StagePro Anthem Pickup System with TRU MIC (the coil and mic system) in it (and have a pro fit the thing, as I'm not carving a big hole in the side of my own guitar)
i haven't tried any of the newer ibanezes but considering the 655 is the cheapest and has the original edge bridge (which is the sought-after, time-tested one, and made by gotoh too), I'd probably go with that. But maybe you have some reason for wanting the edge zero instead, which is fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a 3550mz, 2570evsl and a 1570. i paid under $700 for the 3550mz, it was nos at GC. i paid $380 for the 2570esl (both me and the seller thought it was a 1570) so i saved a bit. and the 1570 i got form GC online for $480. i like them all, but the 1570 isn't as nice as the others.

the 3550mz came stock with dimarzios. the 2570evsl came with dimarzio/ibs, and i put a crunch lab and liquifire in, and the 1570 is going to get a pair of d-activators. the stock pickups in the latter two really sucked IMO. so i would plan on a pickups swap.

I also own a 1570, 2550e, 2570 & 3570z and out of all of them my 1570 is by far the best playing out of all of them. Does it have fancy fret board markings or binding? Nope! Cool finish? Black, so nope! But with a pickup swap (painkiller bridge + liquifire neck and removed the mid pickup), it will hold its own against any of my guitars. With all the humidity & temp changes we have here in the fall, it never goes out of tune. Ever.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
I also own a 1570, 2550e, 2570 & 3570z and out of all of them my 1570 is by far the best playing out of all of them. Does it have fancy fret board markings or binding? Nope! Cool finish? Black, so nope! But with a pickup swap (painkiller bridge + liquifire neck and removed the mid pickup), it will hold its own against any of my guitars. With all the humidity & temp changes we have here in the fall, it never goes out of tune. Ever.

i bought 2550gbk a few weeks ago but I can't open it until Christmas. I paid for it all, but the wifey is making me wait. My 2570evsl is my favorite of the bunch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/