So I'm in college living in a dorm and I'm finally able to ship my guitar from home out to school. However, there is no room (and Im not willing to pay 500 bucks lol) for me to ship my amp from home here. So what are some decent amps from the 100-200 dollar range that would be suitable for dorm life? I play mostly metal and hard rock.
A Line 6 Pod and a pair of headphones.
Something like the Bean shaped one or the best used one you can find for the money you have.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 22, 2015,
Yeah, either a used POD XT bean + a pair of decent headphones (AKG K-240 mkII or ATH-M50), or you get an unbranded guitar link and you go with amp sims.

There are a couple of stickies about that in the recording section, have a look at them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 on the amp sims. BTW, Luca, do you know of any amp sims that model Orange amps?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
do you know of any amp sims that model Orange amps?

Amplitube has all the official models of orange amps.

Either download 'Amplitube Orange' from your chosen appstore or get the free custom shop download for your computer and buy sims from their store.
Quote by Fryderyczek
BTW, Luca, do you know of any amp sims that model Orange amps?
Yeah, amplitube has oranges, revalver has oranges, guitar rig has oranges, and podfarm/the POD's have oranges.

I really don't like orange amps in general so my judgement's clouded a bit, though in my opinion the best one is the one in revalver, then the one in the POD HD series.

Don't even bother with the ones in guitar rig and amplitube.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, amplitube has oranges, revalver has oranges, guitar rig has oranges, and podfarm/the POD's have oranges.

I really don't like orange amps in general so my judgement's clouded a bit, though in my opinion the best one is the one in revalver, then the one in the POD HD series.

Don't even bother with the ones in guitar rig and amplitube.

Ok, thanks. How about a nice Roland JC amp sim?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek

Would you please stop threadjacking other people's threads?

This thread belongs to otfaiola68

otfaiola68 - I suggest some flavor of Peavey Vypyr if you want a real amp with a speaker in addition to headphone capabilities.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

otfaiola68 - I suggest some flavor of Peavey Vypyr if you want a real amp with a speaker in addition to headphone capabilities.

Sorry.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Roland amp sims sound about as good as good as amplitube's to me, and the floor boards are much better for fx than amps sims.

Next time if you have a question of this kind just ask in the quick questions thread, it's the reason why it's been put there.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I suggest some flavor of Peavey Vypyr if you want a real amp with a speaker in addition to headphone capabilities.
Up for this.

Though IIRC the headphones output leaves quite a lot to be desired.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah for metal and hard rock, you are probably better off getting a simulator.

On the other hand, if you wanted to play alternative and jazz stuff, I suggest the Bugera V5.
Good thing about going the POD route is when ya get back home you can use it with your current amp
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

ahahahahaha truer words have never been spoken! Anyway's yea, I was thinking about getting a Vypyr. I actually used to own the 75 watt model from when they first came out. When I was looking on musicians friend/ guitar center I saw that they came out with newer models. Do they work just as well?
I have not played the VIPs yet but I hear they are just as good with the added funcionality of being able to play bass and acoustic guitar through them as well.

I think the Pods are a great idea for situation and will sound better with headphones but like I said, if you want an actual amp the Vypyrs are hard to beat. I personally could not handle using only headphones all of the time.

Spambot - correct, the headphones only grab the preamp portion of the amp. There is no power section or cab emulation.