Hi, I'm getting a ne set of pickups next week, and I'm wondering about the wiring for them. they're both dimarzio and the guitar is HSH. currently the switching system is kinda standard for that pickup configuration (position 1-bridge, 2-split bridge and middle, 3-middle, 4-middle and split neck, 5-neck), but I was thinking of changing it round a bit (I'm not sure if position 1 and 5 are the correct way round, but if the switch being down is position one, that's right). the system I want is so position one plays bridge, two plays split or tapped bridge and neck, three plays middle, four plays both neck and bridge and five plays neck. I would like to know if this is possible and if anyone could show me a diagram or give a description, that would be amazing.
Cheers, Chris
this should help, a bit of insight before we start though. If it wasn't necessary I wouldn't mention it. This wiring features the auto-tap mod used in both pickups. If you don't want to tap a certain pickup like the neck you don't have to. I suggest this mod with a guitar with two volumes myself instead of a tone if you never use the tone knob. Then you'd get 7 distinct sounds instead of just 5.

this diagram uses a USA switch which accentuates on each pole in the selector. Import ones are inline.

on a selector we have 4 contacts per pole on basic 5 way blade switches.
0 - common

so on an import 5 way selector the contacts layout is

so what do the numbers represent? easy, lets put it into realistic application though.
position 1 - just contact 1
position 2 - contact 1 /3
position 3 - just 3
position 4 - 3/5
position 5 - just 5

so why am I not mentioning common (0), well this is actually good news for guys wiring up guitars. Common activates a pole (one half of the selector so 0135). So this is why on the seymour duncan diagram one half is blue and one half is red on the USA selectors. Makes sense right?

anyways lets get to the guitar pickups
remember seymour duncan color code is different. but it will work. They look like single coils but 4 wire pickups are 4 wire pickups so same principal applies. This is actually how an Ibanez RG350 is wired.

black on the left hand side of the poles is your red wire for dimarzio
green and bare are the ground to your volume pot
solder the black/white wire together and then put it where the red/white wires are on the diagram.

here's the diagram
Thanks, this really helps, but a couple of questions, is the auto tap thing necisary, and where can you get them from? also, on the diagram, the switch has 2 lots of 4, rather than 8 in a row, so would you just move the soldering places on the right left into the right to make 8 in a row?
So with auto tap the easiest way to describe it is, well lets focus on the bridge first.
position 1 is bridge full power
position 2 is bridge (coiltapped) and the middle pickup selected
however if you wire the two 'coiltap" wires in the wrong positions and have two volumes you can get all sorts of unique sounds. It's complete overkill though.
this would do both pickups

and as assurance autotap is a modifications name. So you require nothing special.

with the switches in all the Ibanez guitars I worked on the contacts are 8 inline. So it follows the same order but is just more compact. So like before
1 - bridge pickups hot lead
3 - middle pickups hot lead
5 - neck hot lead
0 - common to your volumes hot lead (left contact in this diagram)
0 - nothing
1 - coiltap wires (bridge)
3 - ground on the back of the volume pot
5 - coiltap wires (neck) - this one is optional
personally I like coiltapping just the neck but it's up to you. As long as you're happy

where as on a USA switch like Seymour Duncan mentions the ones on the left are still going to the same place and the ones on the right are going to the same places.

another option is
push pull potentiometers on ebay. They replace your regular volume knob. You pull up and get single coil sounds. They are around 5$ american on ebay. They are a lot easier to wire than we think. Any questions regarding them send me a private message on here.

this is designed for humbuckers. You can use this as a volume or in place of a tone knob
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Guitar-Push-Pull-Pot-Guitar-Control-Pot-Potentiometer-B500K-/320920858023?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ab85fada7