Page 1 of 2
I fucking love artist that show up, release a killer album/comp, and disappear without a trace. Or at least disappear.

There is something perfectly wicked about nailing it with your very first effort and immediately exit, stage left. Even if some of these projects wanted to move forward, it's sometimes for the best. But some one hitters, like Scald, could have moved forward with success in some hypothetical future. Regardless, I love a perfect discography and the easiest way to do that?

One Killer Fucking Album

Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer

Twisted and doomed Rev Biz riffs and the most drugged out tendencies of Black Sabbath are feeling really introspective on this album. On a sick horse they arrive, cross on their necks. The decaying process is drawn out as long as possible. A holy man offers you a pus infected hand shake.

Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral

This album belongs in an Australian museum. Simultaneously reminiscent of all too familiar alien landscape coupled with wrist-bleeding moments and behemoth auras. Much like Pure Holocaust, this beast has seen next to no attempts at mimicry from others. Probably for the better.

Grotesque - In The Embrace of Evil

Young Shamaatae, young At The Gates, the Swedish soil is fresh awash with that moist death they call weather. Breathe in these savage fumes. More of a compilation than an album, but I am here to break the rules. This comp has a sound I excavate hordes of forgettable releases for; That boiling mixing cauldron of intuition and primordial Death/Black/Thrash/Doom, far before preconceived notions of said tags.

Inquisitor - Walpurgis - Sabbath of Lust

I ANTICHRIST; I CAME TO FLESH

Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred

Some thrash that was killing it during the earliest glimpses of that **** awful Thrash "revival." Kreator was given a whole lot of time to think about how much their early material would kick ass once again with some extra vitriol.

Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike

Quite literally one of my favorite Metal releases from Norway. A Perfect record. Floaty, cloudy, yet aggressive melodies that intertwine with subtle Nightside Eclipse synths hypnotically. An escalation of the Norwegian formula to not often seen pinnacle. A blue wave of cold fire. The moment the guitar picks up with the synth backdrop in Ars Manifestia? Uuuuuuugh!

Legend - Fröm the Fjörds

More-so Proto Metal than anything. Some of it is regrettable, and a very few times the Drummer sounds like he needs a band that can keep up with him, but listen to this shit and tell me it doesn't feel fucking good.

Utumno - Across the Horizon

One that surprises me. Did no one notice this careering from the North when it was released? That and a combination of musician apathy makes this a favorite One Hit wonder. Riffs surface in a tempest of sudden motion only to break under its own weight and give way to an emotional escalation of Swedish DEATH and Melancholy! Motions are frantic and red eyed. Drag yourself into the rays of the sun and burn.

Talk to me about One Hit Wonders.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 22, 2015,
Fighting the chain of the living dead,
An alliance is formed to collect strength,
For battle with the Firedancer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7z43TaqdwE

I like to imagine that a box full of these was just sort of found one day in the attic of some tiny, poxy record store. As dust ridden and cobweb strewn as the rest, yet alive with the magic of other worlds, and far off places where no sword is a match for the wizardry of The Sorcerer.

Upon this box would be written a single word - RIFFS.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Quote by Fat Lard
Down - nola I

Did you forget about their other two albums or do you just lack reading comprehension?

Quote by Atomic_Assault

I like to imagine that a box full of these was just sort of found one day in the attic of some tiny, poxy record store. As dust ridden and cobweb strewn as the rest, yet alive with the magic of other worlds, and far off places where no sword is a match for the wizardry of The Sorcerer.

Upon this box would be written a single word - RIFFS.

A+

Left these guys out of my list only because I made the thread on them here. An album that only a few would "get" I imagine.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Their other two albums are too incongruent, and no, I have no lack of comprehension. I was under the impression from your context that you inferred 'album' as One Hit Wonder. A few great tracks on the others, but nothing I'd play start to finish like the first masterpiece.
I'm having a hard time thinking of bands with one coherent album and not a bunch of demos(Sadistic Intent, R U Dead, Nirvana 2002) right but one that came to mind is Gorement's The Ending Quest. Great somber swedeath and the only album they released before changing their name a buncha times with nothing of worth from their new projects.

I'll see if I can think of more when I get home.
I came to flesh. This was literally the first thing I thought of though. Was listening to it earlier today.

As well, might as well post this for people wanting to purchase a physical copy:

http://hammerheart-records.myshopify.com/collections/vendors?q=Inquisitor

Demilich's Nespithe is another good one. Not really a one-hit wonder, but the demos can't touch this album and they've done nothing since except for rare gigs every now and then. Nothing quite as monumental in their works as Nespithe was, and they've been riding on that success for the past 20 some years. It is one of THE MOST GODLIKE albums to exist.

Caarcrinolas - The Egg is probably more suited to this thread though, since they're not too well-known but they've got some oddly composed songs and make some really interesting death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya9e81_qdI

Are Stone Dagger too obvious? Talk of the town and haven't heard about them since.
Weakling and Munn.

The former is a Burzum parody (Brett Stevens' words not mine)((paraphrased)) and the latter is a drone "metal" masterpiece. Both of which I listen to very rarely, but I hold both in high regard. Weakling has the theatrical qualities that I love the shit out of with big booming dynamic riffs. Hmm.

Munn aren't really all that interesting to me anymore, but they have cult status now because of Joris' suicide. I do enjoy the music, whenever it's present, quite a bit though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Their other two albums are too incongruent, and no, I have no lack of comprehension. I was under the impression from your context that you inferred 'album' as One Hit Wonder.

Yes, album as a one hit wonder. A bunch of demos are ok and does not disqualify an album from being a One Hit Wonder. Other albums, regardless of quality, do disqualify them from this arbitrary definition. Apologies for the miscommunication.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'm having a hard time thinking of bands with one coherent album and not a bunch of demos(Sadistic Intent, R U Dead, Nirvana 2002)

Demos before or after are fine. Just not albums.

Great additions, Severed! Dead As Dreams fits right into this threads' definition.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Stone Dagger are not quite a one-hit wonder yet, as they are most assuredly active! Lord Ryür on the other hand...
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
SV was made for this thread!

As much as I hate those drums, it fits the bill.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I'll add a few more since I've got a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPTq5ouiBFo

So much cult status, which sucks because it really is a solid album. It's unique, and not in a "let's add a banjo" way. My favourite part about this album is that isn't ass, and that's good enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VehrEy_n928

Really glad this picked up recognition over the years and actually got re-released.

One more, and it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmgNRxGS4Sg

trvest ov heavy metuhl

Just listen to the end of March of the Deads. Bring any heavy metal fan to his/her knees.

Quote by VampireGoldfish
Stone Dagger are not quite a one-hit wonder yet, as they are most assuredly active! Lord Ryür on the other hand...

Just a joke, I really hope they put out more though. Too good to die.

Quote by progbass
I'll agree with SV if you don't count the Ildjarn - Nidhogg colabs.

Nah, don't count them in with it. Sort Vokter was its own project deserving of its own recognition. Rad album though.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jan 22, 2015,
Demilich, although from what I've heard of the demos those are good songs too.
Room of reunion... Join with the departed,
Souls trapped in a timeless sanctuary of darkness.
... Witness the secret places which shall not be perceived by man.
Talisman strung in remembrance of the dead,
Resurrect visions kept in capsules of existence.
Perception enhanced by smoke and hypnosis,
Subconscious prayers for entreaty.
... Come to call, reappear in form!
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Some well known, some not so well known. For whatever reason this was common practice if you played NWOBHM or USPM in the 80s.

The Night Vision song sounds remastered, because I know for a fact that it is not that clear on the original recording.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Infester are the only band that really come to mind. The others I think of, like Terrorizer, Desultory, Nazxul, etc. should have remained one-hit wonders.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Infester is most definitely a one hit wonder. Gawd I love that album.

Would Timeghoul count?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Not sure if Morriah would count, they only released one demo to my knowledge, "Let the Sword Descend", and then became Nile.

I've actually only ever heard 3 of the 5 tracks from the demo. They are uploaded to reverbnation by then-drummer Pete Hammoura. http://www.reverbnation.com/petehammoura/album/29100-morriah-let-the-sword-descend

If anyone knows where to find the rest of the demo I'd be grateful to know.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Tholus - Constant
Thormenthor - Abstract Divinity
Payne's Grey - Kadath Decoded
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Silence - Vision

^Destruction System was a demo, apparently. Though most of these bands probably had some demos and maybe an EP, too. Ripping Corpse's unreleased album is pretty dope.

Also, +1 on Aspid.
Last edited by Sanitarium91 at Jan 24, 2015,
How about ANUBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLBn5gKeNM

I have to thank VG in particular for bringing awareness of this wonderful enigma to the forum. I've had the Anubi thread stickied since it was bumped one day what, five years ago? Spare an hour sometime soon to listen in it's entirety if you haven't already!
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Shoutouts to Excoriate and that KILLER tone. It's so damn beastly.

I think Stormvold is a release worth mentioning but Blod-Draum I like more. Re-issue was kind of ass though. Took away the cover and made the music too clean, but I can understand it considering how harsh it was to listen to. Carved by Raven Claws and Along the Misty Morass are personal favourites.

That Stormtrooper release is so fresh though, one of the best USPM albums. First heard about when Aesop Dekker had the Cosmic Hearse still going and he fawned over it constantly. Eventually it seeps in and it's a really rad album.

Not enough black metal releases in this thread:

Last edited by severed-metal at Jan 24, 2015,
Ah, forgot about Necronaut. Well said then, my bad. Great albums though, the pair of them. Can't go wrong with Helmkampf.
Last edited by chvgjcxj at Feb 1, 2015,
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Page 1 of 2