So I have Jackson pro king v from 97, it's great guitar. It needed some work (Floyd rose) so I have it all set, just got the intonation set. But now for some reason and I've never had this happen my low e string shows in tune and shows the intonation in tune but when I go to play its out of tune and I have to tune down like a half step for it sound and play in tune. I have no clue what is going on here and it never did this before. Can anyone h lo with this situation?
You're probably plucking the strings very hard, making them go sharp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I know this and I'm light plucking. I've been playing for years. On the tuner it's showing in tune and when it's played it out of tune. It was until the intonation was "corrected"
Setting the intonation at the 12th fret is only a compromise as no guitar can perfectly intonate. does the guitar play in tune at the 12th, but flat/sharp in other places?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
When you say "out of tune" what is out of tune relative to what else?
- Is it the open string compared to other open strings, or recorded songs?
- Is it only fretted notes, does it get worse higher up the neck
- Is it just reading "wrong" on your tuner

Do some tests:
1) does your tuner work.
- Find a pitch fork or youtube "tuning notes" - is that reading right?
- Do other strings stay in tune?
- When did oyu last change the batteries?
2) are you tuning to the right note? (sounds stupid but worth checking)
If you're tuning half a step down, make sure you've got your settings right - an F on a small LCD screen can look a lot like a E particularly if it's old or one of the "bars" is missing
3) is your intonation right?
- the 12th fret harmonic should sound pretty similar to the 12th fret fretted note - if they're way off then your intonation is wrong.
4) Is it out of tune instantly or steadily slipping?
- check your spring tension.
- go for a re-string, your string might be dodgy/about to snap
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jan 22, 2015,
Quote by VK66
I know this and I'm light plucking. I've been playing for years. On the tuner it's showing in tune and when it's played it out of tune. It was until the intonation was "corrected"

Obviously your intonation is off. Compare the harmonic at the 12th fret and the fretted note at the same spot. If they're not the same, you're not correctly intonated. More imporantly, the fretted note at the 12th fret and the open note should BOTH show "in tune" on the tuner. If not, you're not correctly intonated.

Are your strings new or old?

How high is your action?
Is your Floyd correctly installed?
What work did your Floyd need done, and by whom was it done?