I bought a used hd500 effetcs pedal a few months ago and at first it seemed descent and it seemed like with a little work I could get some good tones out of it however after these few months of screwing around with it I simply cant squeeze anything that doesnt sound entirely digital out of it. Am I just doing it wrong or does this pedal just suck balls. The signal chain is Gibson Les Paul -> HD500 4 cable method -> Crate Stealth head.
I'd try going straight into the HD500 and then into the FX return of the amp, bypassing the preamp of the Stealth completely. I find 4 cable method with the HD500 causes a lot of tone suck for some reason.

Give this guide a read: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I'd try going straight into the HD500 and then into the FX return of the amp, bypassing the preamp of the Stealth completely. I find 4 cable method with the HD500 causes a lot of tone suck for some reason.

Give this guide a read: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

That's the thing I actually really like the Crate's tone it's one of the older ones and after replacing the tubes it sounds killer, so all I want to use the pod for is effects none of that amp modeling bs so bypassing the crates preamp is the opposite of what I want to do.
Okay then turn off the preamp in the POD. I thought you meant you couldn't get a good modelled sound. What effects do you want to use?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Okay then turn off the preamp in the POD. I thought you meant you couldn't get a good modelled sound. What effects do you want to use?

So how do you turn off the preamp? And all I want to use are the noise gate, overdrive, and delay
Just scroll to the top of the amps list. You won't be able to put an effect in that spot, but you can scroll to the beginning of the list and hit the "amp disabled" selection.

If you want to use it strictly for those 3 things I would say 1) just sell the POD and buy those 3 pedals or 2) Run guitar into the POD then out of the POD into the input of your amp. A noise gate and delay can work in front of the amp, but not to their full potential. Trying to put an overdirve in the FX loop just straight up doesn't work.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Just scroll to the top of the amps list. You won't be able to put an effect in that spot, but you can scroll to the beginning of the list and hit the "amp disabled" selection.

If you want to use it strictly for those 3 things I would say 1) just sell the POD and buy those 3 pedals or 2) Run guitar into the POD then out of the POD into the input of your amp. A noise gate and delay can work in front of the amp, but not to their full potential. Trying to put an overdirve in the FX loop just straight up doesn't work.

Yeah I've been considering selling it but I figured I would see if it was just that I was doing it wrong or if I just hate the tones it has, at this point I'm pretty sure it's the second but thanks for the help anyway.
Quote by tmaxb
Yeah I've been considering selling it but I figured I would see if it was just that I was doing it wrong or if I just hate the tones it has, at this point I'm pretty sure it's the second but thanks for the help anyway.

You obviously have no clue what you're doing with it, so I think it may be a bit of both. In any case, you probably should get rid of it and get something much, MUCH simpler.
Quote by dspellman
You obviously have no clue what you're doing with it, so I think it may be a bit of both. In any case, you probably should get rid of it and get something much, MUCH simpler.

Yeah that's a good idea and yes I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Been playing for 8 years but haven't had any money to buy effects or anything until recently so I'm just now figuring out pedals, tube amps etc. so sorry for the dumb questions. In any case I'm just going to buy an overdrive and wah until I find that I need something like the Pod.
Get rid of it. Simple. I owned one for a couple of months. Spend more time on your knees messing with it trying to get a sound. Think you got a good sound then next time you turn it on it sounds shite. I've been using multi effects for 20 odd years and this was the most useless I have ever owned and sold it on. Only thing it was any use for was switching variax settings from the floor but it sounded crap with the variax too.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
^ Multi-fx boards are built to be versatile and worked with, so they require you to spend time messing with it and learning it. I've heard wondrous tones from PODS, and just a few single patches that I've come across make the board worth the price.

Doesn't the POD series have a massive library of downloadable patches? Just find the one(s) you like and download them. You won't have to do any work besides switching the presets c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 24, 2015,
Quote by crackerjack123
Get rid of it. Simple. I owned one for a couple of months. Spend more time on your knees messing with it trying to get a sound. Think you got a good sound then next time you turn it on it sounds shite. I've been using multi effects for 20 odd years and this was the most useless I have ever owned and sold it on. Only thing it was any use for was switching variax settings from the floor but it sounded crap with the variax too.

I've been using Pods for about as long as the TS has been playing, and my fourth Variax should be arriving within the next few days. A lot of professionals really love them, some folks never figure them out.
I have the hd500 and It does suck tone from your amp I have done a lot of setup guides that do help but not totally , You can get some nice tones from the hd500 4 cable method but if you have got a good sounding amp you still might feel its changing or sucking that tone from your amp . There are plenty of reasons to have the hd500 and one its not to replace a few pedals that you might use .
You should be able to do well with 4 cable method but have to dig in the manual so you know what works.
My suggestion would be to save a blank patch with everything disabled and the amp set as to where you like it, then bring in an effect at a time and save as new patches.
From what I know from ymy GT-10 you have to disable amp simulation and output emulation.
Quote by dazzzer30
I have the hd500 and It does suck tone from your amp I have done a lot of setup guides that do help but not totally , You can get some nice tones from the hd500 4 cable method but if you have got a good sounding amp you still might feel its changing or sucking that tone from your amp . There are plenty of reasons to have the hd500 and one its not to replace a few pedals that you might use .

Excuse my ignorance, I've only delved into the PODs lightly. Aren't the PODS meant to go directly to a system anyways?
Quote by diabolical
You should be able to do well with 4 cable method but have to dig in the manual so you know what works.
My suggestion would be to save a blank patch with everything disabled and the amp set as to where you like it, then bring in an effect at a time and save as new patches.
From what I know from my GT-10 you have to disable amp simulation and output emulation.
+1. Amp sims in front of a stand-alone, good sounding amp (tubes especially) sound not-so-good. They might sound better in an FX loop.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Excuse my ignorance, I've only delved into the PODs lightly. Aren't the PODS meant to go directly to a system anyways?
+1. Amp sims in front of a stand-alone, good sounding amp (tubes especially) sound not-so-good. They might sound better in an FX loop.

POD's at least the HD line can be used as either full sims with amp and cab modeling or as just an effects processor with no amp or cab modeling.

And yes Amp modeling usually sounds bad when run through the front end of a guitar amp.