I am getting it used for 10k (rupees) while it's new cost is 20.7k. Should I go for it? I like listening to metal, but getting a thrashy sound at this beginner stage isn't a major priority for me.
Is it a newer one? What's your current amp?

I had the bigger version (a Bandit) and it was a pretty kickass amp until I got into tubes. They sound great and are 100% analog. The Bandit definitely has more bang, but that doesn't seem too bad of a deal.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
This is my first amp. I don't think it's very old but I'll find out. I know tube amps are great but I don't think I can find a good one in my budget. This amp is called transtube, which basically means they've done a lot of work trying to get that sound. Many reviews say they came very close.
No. Find a used bandt, they are cheap. Envoy is a small piece of shit you will outgrow very fast where bandit will take you from bedroom practice to your first band practices and keep serving as great backup for gigs.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
But as a practice amp (I don't think I'll be getting into a band very soon) is it not a good idea? I initially wasn't planning to go above 30W. I am really just interested in seeing if the tone is good. After all, this is among Peavey's best attempts at imitating tube sounds.
Envoy willwork for getting a sound out of your guitar but Bandit will work just as well for practicing and sound is much better. Bandit is also similar transtube amp. It is bigger but atleast it doesnt sound like a tinbox. I have owned Envoy and while the amp itself isnt bad the tiny crappy 8" speaker just neuters the thing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I just checked out the Bandit 112 and I have to admit it seems a far superior amp. But it's new price is a good 10k more than the Envoy 110 new and I cannot stretch my budget beyond 10k (which is the price for Envoy 110 used) have been searching for a Bandit with no results but doubt it'll be the same price...
Bandits are quite common and cheap as peanuts used, but if you cant find one the look for Peavey Vypyr 30. 30w analog modeler with a 12" speaker.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
There's no such thing as "analog modeling."

This guy lives in India, so Bandits might not be nearly as widely available. Also the Envoy has a 10" speaker. It's his first amp. It'll be just fine for his needs. If he needs/wants to upgrade it, the possibility will always be there. He could be trying to buy a Line6 Spider 3 or something.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton
There's no such thing as "analog modeling."

This guy lives in India, so Bandits might not be nearly as widely available. Also the Envoy has a 10" speaker. It's his first amp. It'll be just fine for his needs. If he needs/wants to upgrade it, the possibility will always be there. He could be trying to buy a Line6 Spider 3 or something.

Yes there is. Digital modeler is a computer, audio is converted to digital, morphed and back to analog. Vypyr mimics the amps it models in analog circuits, stompboxes and such are digital.

But you are right about the speaker. It was 10", not 8". Brainfart. But unless money or space ia an issue i would not go for small practice boxes like that. He will outgrow it fast and in the end it was money wasted.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 23, 2015,
MaaZeus you've been a great help but I don't think I value high volume the way you do. Besides in India, people don't form bands that fast, and very few people come to see amateur bands perform. But I would really like to know your feedback regarding the tone, and if other amps in this price range are better- tone wise.

P.S. Maa in Hindi is an affectionate way of calling one's mother. Lol.
I don't think I've ever mentioned the Bandit in a thread before.
It would be better but the Envoy is not too bad if it's all you can find or afford
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/peavey-envoy-110/13884

Heck I still have my first amp somewhere, a Peavey Rage 158, and I've turned out to be a normal well-adjusted member of society
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
It'll be hard to make a direct comparison since he and I have both owned the bigger, Bandit. The 12" speaker vs 10" speaker makes a noticeable difference in sound.

I loved mine a lot, it was a really flexible amp with a good sound. I liked the 100% analog signal and how it sounded like a real amp. Plenty of gain on tap for anything. Phenomenal cleans that actually could break up with heavy picking. Lots of tones to be had with all of the different voicing options available.

MaaZues will probably recommend to you the Peavey Vypyr series, which is also an excellent series of amplifiers. Depending on what you want to play with it would depend on what anything else he or myself would recommend. Peavey makes great amps for any budget, so you can't go wrong with anything Peavey, really. I can't think of anything that compares to the Transtube or Vypyr series in the same price range. The Line6 Vetta I or II might be worth checking out.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by josonmj
MaaZeus you've been a great help but I don't think I value high volume the way you do. Besides in India, people don't form bands that fast, and very few people come to see amateur bands perform. But I would really like to know your feedback regarding the tone, and if other amps in this price range are better- tone wise.

P.S. Maa in Hindi is an affectionate way of calling one's mother. Lol.

Wattage is irrelevant. Both have volume knobs. Also Envoy, just like Bandit, have a single master volume and both have touch sensitive taper, volume ramps up fast to ear piercing levels with small adjustments. But both can be played quietly too.

I didnt take into account you being an indian. Your choices are definetly more limited.

Thanks for the funfact about my username. Though it does have a different story why i use it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 23, 2015,
^ Ninjad

The thing is, if you get a loud enough amp now, you don't need to buy many amps for different purposes. The wattage doesn't really matter. A 100 watt amp can always be turned down but a 20 watt amp can't get any louder than its maximum volume (which may not be enough for band playing). Even if you are never going to play in a band, getting a powerful amp is not waste of money if it sounds good.

I would suggest getting a modeling amp like Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube or Vox VT as your first amp. It will give you a great variety of tones and allow you to play a lot of different styles. It will also give you an idea of how the real thing will sound like. Once you have found your style and tone, you know what you are after and can buy the real thing. I wouldn't really care about the wattage. When you are just starting, it doesn't really matter.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 23, 2015,
Is wattage more important than speaker diameter for volume? Because Peavey 30 is 10w less but it's speaker is 2'' more. It's cheaper than the Envoy, but the only person selling it used added a footswitch and it costs way more than my budget.

Will keep looking though.
Last edited by josonmj at Jan 24, 2015,
^ You don't really need volume right now. (My point about the wattage was that you don't need to be afraid of loud amps because you can always turn it down. You don't need a loud amp, but buying a powerful amp doesn't hurt.) But I think people are recommending amps with 12 inch speakers because they usually sound better. Vypyr would be a good idea because it has lots of different sounds in it. If you want effects, it has everything built into it. You don't need to buy any stomp boxes or anything.

Also, wattage doesn't tell everything about volume. Speaker sensitivity makes a difference. With a more efficient speaker you can make a 30 watt amp sound louder than a 60 watt amp.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I would really prefer a good tone to effects. Right now all I want is good distortion and cleans, when I want lots of effects I'll invest in a processor or pedal. I am not a fan of those digitalised effects cheap amps provide.

But if you say Vypyr has a better tone than the Envoy, will keep trying for it
For a beginner I'd recommend either playing straight off your computer with something like Peavey Revalver (the ValveKing simulation is free) and a $30 interface (or a Rocksmith cable) or the best Line6 POD you can afford and a good pair of headphones (eventually).

For quiet practice these options will sound way better.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Wow this was unexpected. I have no idea what any of those things mean.

Edit: I don't want my practise THAT quiet.
Last edited by josonmj at Jan 24, 2015,
Quote by josonmj
I would really prefer a good tone to effects. Right now all I want is good distortion and cleans, when I want lots of effects I'll invest in a processor or pedal. I am not a fan of those digitalised effects cheap amps provide.

But if you say Vypyr has a better tone than the Envoy, will keep trying for it

How do you know? Have you tried them? Usually modeling amps come with usable effects. Why it's good to have them built into your amp is because that way you don't need to pay anything extra for something you may not even use that much. A modeling amp will give you a good picture of what the different effects will do. It's pretty likely that you won't need the majority of them.

Also, tone isn't that important when you are just starting out. You want versatility. Vypyr also gets a lot of praise here so I would guess it sounds pretty good.

Modeling amps help you with finding your own tone. That's the easy way to figure out what kind of amp tones you like and what kind of effects you really need. That way when you are buying your first "real amp", you know exactly what you are after. And you also know what effects to buy (if you even need them).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
How do you know? Have you tried them? Usually modeling amps come with usable effects. Why it's good to have them built into your amp is because that way you don't need to pay anything extra for something you may not even use that much. A modeling amp will give you a good picture of what the different effects will do. It's pretty likely that you won't need the majority of them.

Also, tone isn't that important when you are just starting out. You want versatility. Vypyr also gets a lot of praise here so I would guess it sounds pretty good.

Modeling amps help you with finding your own tone. That's the easy way to figure out what kind of amp tones you like and what kind of effects you really need. That way when you are buying your first "real amp", you know exactly what you are after. And you also know what effects to buy (if you even need them).

Actually I have, but I have to admit most of them were really cheap. Have never tried a Peavey before or a Fender, so what you're saying makes sense. Besides, you're probably much better a judge of sound then I am, so I'll take your word for it.

I've only been able to find a Vypyr 15, so I'll keep looking out for the Vypyr 30, but if I can't find it, should I look for something else instead of the Envoy? Like the Orange Crush? There's a 20L in my budget. There's a Roland Cube 60 too.
Last edited by josonmj at Jan 25, 2015,
That Cube is a great amp, it'll sound perfectly fine.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Wow. What happened to that Cube?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Wow. What happened to that Cube?

They sold it in cream when he bought it. At least that's what a quick image search on "roland cube 60 cream" told me.

Thank God I am buying it when it's condition is "old and battered", a couple of years from now he'll be selling it as "vintage"

I'll ask the owner, he told me he'll call in the evening...

But is it unwise to buy something that looks this old? What are your thoughts on this amp people? Will I have to spend a lot of money on repairs?

I think I'll ask him to send me a recording of some cleans and overdrive. Then I'll upload a link to it here. I just can't judge tone. I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Special II on a Marshall MG10CF the other day and it sounded just fine to me.

Edit: This old version of the Cube 60 doesn't have all those effects the ones today have. Look at this effects panel and you'll see.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9315/cubeug.jpg

This is what they look like now:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/roland-cube-60-399382.jpg

Doesn't make much difference to me, but thought you guys could share or views on this.
Last edited by josonmj at Jan 26, 2015,
Yeah, that's the old Cube that has nothing to do with the new digital Cubes. I have heard it has a great clean channel. But I don't know about the overdrive. Many times OD channels in old solid state amps aren't that great (that could of course be fixed with a good OD pedal).

If you find a newer Cube, it's a decent amp. I started with a Roland Micro Cube and I liked it.

Avoid Marshall MG.

I would suggest getting a modeling amp because as I said, it will help you with finding your own tone. Because when you are just starting, you may not know what works for you. You may not even know what styles you are going to play.

Also, even if the effects don't sound anything special, they still give you a good picture of how the real thing will sound like. It will help you with deciding which effects you need when you are building a pedal board (and not everybody even needs a pedal board). IMO the effects on my Micro Cube were pretty decent. I didn't really use other effects than chorus, reverb and delay. But they got the job done.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by josonmj
Wow this was unexpected. I have no idea what any of those things mean.

Edit: I don't want my practise THAT quiet.

Basically the point is that there are more ways to get sound from a guitar now than a regular amp.

You can get very good amp simulations / emulations at very low costs and even free. The simulations allow you to get that cranked volume sound at whisper quiet volumes and ear hurting loud volumes.

Peavey ReValver is a computer program that simulates guitar amps, speakers, and effects. It's great for use with headphones or if you want volume just plug in your computer to speakers or even a stereo line in or mic input (or a powered PA speaker if you want LOUD). Revolver starts free and you can purchase individual amp simulations, cabinets, or effects individually or in packs.

In order to connect your guitar to a computer you need a device called an interface. For practice the easiest thing to use is the cable that comes with the Rocksmith video game - its an instrument cable with a USB connection on the other side. You probably don't want to professionally record with it but it works great for home use. You can also get an unbranded interface box off of eBay that accepts an instrument cable and has a USB cable for your computer. Either of these go for about $30 USD.

Take a look at the Recording section for tons and tons of information.

Beginners are usually on budgets so this is literally a $30 option to get you up and going. . .

The Line6 POD is a physical device that also simulates amps, speakers, and effects so no computer is needed to run it. These take normal instrument cables so no special adapters are needed. You can run the sound output into headphones or again basically any stereo that has a line in or mic input. More and more folks are using a POD with a powered PA speaker as their gig rig. You can also use the POD for it's effects combined with basically any other regular amp later on down the road. Prices range from $50 used to $600 new depending on the features.

If I was starting over for home use an actual old school amp would be pretty far down on the list. That said I'll still crank up the 5150 and try to rip the walls down from time to time!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Do you recommend a micro Cube over the Peavey Envoy 110?

And I don't know, I find this computer idea a bit weird...
The dealer finally sent me photos of the Envoy. He searched a lot but couldn't find any Vypyr 30s or even any other Cube 60s.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-0eogXImQXkUXBEczVmczZ0RDA/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-0eogXImQXkSFkzYVpkR09vdms/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-0eogXImQXkM3lXQjkzNFV2RGc/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-0eogXImQXkRkg5ZFBEcWh5WkU/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-0eogXImQXkM3hEbTJRNVQxQmc/edit?usp=docslist_api

You should be able to see a hell lot of rust in that last pic. Like, what is up with these ancient amps? The dealer says it's "Very old but working very fine" (sic). Naturally, he isn't going to say it sounds like shit. I have asked him for a sound demo.

Than you guys for helping me and sticking around for so long (you're still with me, right?)
9k is too much for that. In the states, they sell for under $100. In fact, you can get the bigger brother Bandit from that era from $75-$110 depending on condition and year.

If it was the redesign, 9k would be a pretty good deal. That doesn't mean it's a bad amp, but you should consider giving him a lower offer. Rusting is a fairly common occurrence for any metal, especially in regions near the sea. Like with any rusting metal, take caution because one day it could all fall apart.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton
9k is too much for that. In the states, they sell for under $100. In fact, you can get the bigger brother Bandit from that era from $75-$110 depending on condition and year.

If it was the redesign, 9k would be a pretty good deal. That doesn't mean it's a bad amp, but you should consider giving him a lower offer. Rusting is a fairly common occurrence for any metal, especially in regions near the sea. Like with any rusting metal, take caution because one day it could all fall apart.

It's not 9k, it's 10k (if you're talking about the Peavey). The Roland Cube 60 is 9k, but it's ancient. This may sound impulsive and random, but should I just get a Fender Mustang I 20W new? I just love the fact that I can install my favourite bands' presets on it and I can play as 24 different bands whenever I like...
My apologies, 10k is definitely a rip off for that amp.

Your decision is certainly impulsive. While you are capable of doing all that fancy stuff, you will come across certain tonal limitations. Digital modeling just doesn't sound that nice. On top of that, you're getting smaller. 20W through an 8 inch speaker is a very small sound. The 40W Envoy would absolutely blow the Mustang away.

If you want to go the digital modeling route, you should consider a Peavey Vypyr or newer Roland Cube.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band