I posted a thread a while back asking why my growling (if you could even call it that) sounded like the cookie monster.
What i didn't realize was that i wasn't even using my false chords, so I kinda had no chance at getting a half decent sound.

I don't get to practice much because my parents are usually around, so most of my time is spent gathering information for when i do practice, thus this thread. I just want tips and advice, maybe tell me how YOU learned to use your false chords, or give me advice you wish you had received. Thanks.
Quote by merriman44
If you have the time, read the screaming/growling thread (at least 10 pages or so). This question has been answered a thousand times.

Alright, I'll try that, I was just a bit put off by the 240 page length but i can try reading at least 10-15 of them. Thanks.
If you have more time to learn than to practice the thread will be invaluable to you. You can skim through 10's of pages pretty quickly as the posts are usually pretty short. There you will find a database of folks coming as beginners and will be able to read as they struggled. When I did it, I found it very interesting.

What I took away the most was how much dedication it takes to learn this stuff. At least for most folks.

The other thing you need to know is that reading is probably not going to help you near as much as just doing it once you get the basic idea. Time and effort are required and if you don't have that right now because of your living situation you are going to have issues.

Is there anything that you can do to increase the amount of time you can practice? That's much more important than hearing other's experiences.
Quote by merriman44
If you have more time to learn than to practice the thread will be invaluable to you. You can skim through 10's of pages pretty quickly as the posts are usually pretty short. There you will find a database of folks coming as beginners and will be able to read as they struggled. When I did it, I found it very interesting.

What I took away the most was how much dedication it takes to learn this stuff. At least for most folks.

The other thing you need to know is that reading is probably not going to help you near as much as just doing it once you get the basic idea. Time and effort are required and if you don't have that right now because of your living situation you are going to have issues.

Is there anything that you can do to increase the amount of time you can practice? That's much more important than hearing other's experiences.

Fortunately on at least 2-3 days of the week my mother will be out of the house for a few hours at a time. That should allow me to practice a decent amount.

I actually have another question. Did you ever feel like an idiot when you were starting out? Because even when I do have time to practice, half the time I end up stopping because I feel ridiculous. Any tips for getting over being loud/ sounding weird etc?
Quote by merriman44
Just repeatedly doing it. I was self conscious as well until I decided that to sound good, I first had to sound like a dying horse.

Should it tickle around my mouth/nose region? Because I somehow did that accidentally earlier. Also can the feeling of actual growling be in any way compared to the feeling of burping?
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by merriman44
Cheeseshark, I've replied to your thread in the screaming forum. Try to keep this type of question there from now on .

These pretty singing folk get antsy about double posting schtuff.

P.S- I kid, I kid

Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow that didn't really cross my mind. But I've started posting my questions there and have made slight progress since posting this thanks to your soundcloud account.