Hi there,

I'm in the process of putting together a new pedalboard, and wanted some input from those more knowledgeable and up to date with stompboxes. I've just sold my Line 6 M13, and so am not really in the loop with gear. Is there anything awesome, exciting or new people can recommend to me?

I've got a budget of about 800 bucks (AU), but I'm pretty flexible with it.

I do already own some basic stuff, which I will post below:
- Boss DD-7
- Vox Wah (v845 from memory?)
- an ancient Boss Metalzone (pure filth)
- a Line 6 expression pedal

I play a MIM Tele and a 2014 LPJ into a 12" Vox AC4.

What would nicely compliment some/all of these, for a well rounded board?
I play your average rock/blues and a bit of metal, and there are a few pedals I'm interested in if anyone has any advice/experience with them?
- Strymon blueSky
- DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun
- Whammy DT
- those whacky TC Polytuners

I realise this is somewhat vague, but having played multi-FX for a while now, I want to hear about cool stuff - verbs, fuzzes, flangers, choruses, drives... whatever you like!

Thanks
Last edited by Jiqunos at Jan 23, 2015,
thanks mate, it's good to be back

this looks awesome - the square wave and reverse trems are sweet

I'm a big fan of the EHX stuff, and they always look so damn good
I just got my DBA Fuzz Gun, but alas, have not had a chance to let 'er rip. But I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think it was damn good from the demos I've seen.

Brads you should check out:

EHX- The Super Pulsar is just the latest in a long line of nifty products. They've been on a roll the past 18 months or so, introducing 2 piano/keyboard/organ simulators, killer guitar synths, and combo pedals like the Epitome.

Earthquaker Devices- a lot of high-quality fuzzes, choruses and randomizers. I just got an Arpanoid, and the Rainbow Machine to add some weird to my tone.

Catalinbread- killer moderately priced pedals like the Echorec and Pegasus are high on my list of must-haves.

Red Witch- pricey but powerful pedals. They often combine multiple functions or a broad array of one kind of function within one housing.

T-Rex- slightly off-kilter takes on all kinds of stuff, and well made.

Visual Sound- mid-priced pedals that combine 2 effects in one tough housing are what this company does. I love my Jekyll & Hyde V2 OD/distortion for all kinds of classic rock and early metal tones.

Besides those, I have stuff from Blackout Effectors, Wampler, Dr Scientist, Walrus, TWA, Möbius, WMD, Black Arts Toneworks and soooo many others on my list.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 23, 2015,
Oh yeah- just got one of these fun boxes:

http://ohnoho.com/#!/~/product/category=0&id=23246347
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Strymon el capistan
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
oh man, these are gnarly

I think something Strymon could definitely be on the cards, not only because they're wicked, but because they're actually available here in AU.

I've got some serious envy for these brands, the Catalinbread and VS especially.
They're probably shippable, if I heard enough good news, I'd probably just pull the trigger and buy them haha

Let me know how you go with the DBA, I'm really interested to hear how it all sounds
has anyone had much success with the TC electronics stuff?

It's not exactly boutique haha, but I like the look of their flangers and verbs
(and again, seemingly pretty available here)
Quote by Jiqunos
has anyone had much success with the TC electronics stuff?

It's not exactly boutique haha, but I like the look of their flangers and verbs
(and again, seemingly pretty available here)

yeh grab the vortex for a simple yet pretty cool flanger.

theyre like $130 down here.
mojostompboxes.com
Some of the main pedals I see missing are an OD and a tuner. My guess is a noise gate isn't needed if you don't play much metal, and you've already got wah and delay sorted which is good. other than that, a reverb and fuzz as others suggested is what i'd shoot for with your budget.

I'm not that clued up on gear, but from my knowledge, these would be ideas

OD: OCD/soul food
tuner: TC/pitchblack/TU-2
Reverb: EXH Cathedral/Hall of Fame
Fuzz: Rat/Fuzzface/Big muff

All those shouldn't break the bank either, esp if you go used.
Also if you wanted another delay, I wouldn't hesitate buying a TC Flashback, I like the idea of having a looper on it.
Last edited by ambler3 at Jan 23, 2015,
this is all good stuff, thanks folks

Quote by greeny23
yeh grab the vortex for a simple yet pretty cool flanger.

theyre like $130 down here.

I used the M13's flangers like nobody's business, so definitely considering this one - it's even Chappers endorsed

Quote by ambler3
Some of the main pedals I see missing are an OD and a tuner. My guess is a noise gate isn't needed if you don't play much metal, and you've already got wah and delay sorted which is good. other than that, a reverb and fuzz as others suggested is what i'd shoot for with your budget.

I'm not that clued up on gear, but from my knowledge, these would be ideas

OD: OCD/soul food
tuner: TC/pitchblack/TU-2
Reverb: EXH Cathedral/Hall of Fame
Fuzz: Rat/Fuzzface/Big muff

All those shouldn't break the bank either, esp if you go used.
Also if you wanted another delay, I wouldn't hesitate buying a TC Flashback, I like the idea of having a looper on it.

A noise gate isn't a bad idea at all actually. I don't play a huge amount of ultra-high gain, but any gain with the tele's pickups gets noisy.
The VS jekyll/hyde dannyalcatraz mentioned has one built in apparently - could bundle and save there

I'd like to spend equally on both fuzz and an OD if possible. I'd be willing to fork out a little more for something like the DBA fuzz gun or the Soul food you mentioned if they're really worthwhile - anything will be an improvement on a metalzone though
The faithful DD7 does have a limited looper in it, but more can never hurt, as can't extra delay.
It could be a bit of a tossup between the flashback, el capistan and maybe a memory man or something similar

EDIT: the el capistan doesn't have a looper, ahem
Quote by ambler3
Of course, the MT-2 is more of a 'fizz' than a fuzz or distortion pedal

Good point, haha - the only reason I've held onto it is because it's older than I am!

There seems to be an abundance of dirt cheap 2nd hand RAT2s around, I might see if I can try one...
Quote by Jiqunos
Good point, haha - the only reason I've held onto it is because it's older than I am!

There seems to be an abundance of 2nd hand RAT2s around, I might see if I can try one...

I seem to remember someone here recently saying that older Rats are much better?

And yeah, if i want a really lo-fi sound, i've got my MT-2 for it...but most of the reason it's not gone is because I'd struggle to get £10 for it
Quote by ambler3
I seem to remember someone here recently saying that older Rats are much better?

And yeah, if i want a really lo-fi sound, i've got my MT-2 for it...but most of the reason it's not gone is because I'd struggle to get £10 for it

I'd take your word for it. My friend swears by his rusty old RAT. I could be wrong, but the originals seem to actually be appreciating (also the optimistic, vain hope behind holding onto my ancient MT-2)
You could check out some Joyo or Caline stuff. They're great if you want to try out different effects or play certain songs without having to break the bank on the original pedals. I've got a Joyo phase 90 and Caline delay in the post at the moment, $60-$70 is a lot better than $300-$400 for pedals I won't use very often.
i'm out for now. but swing me an email if you have an OD or fuzz idea and i can probs hook you up.

mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Jiqunos
The faithful DD7 does have a limited looper in it, but more can never hurt, as can't extra delay.
It could be a bit of a tossup between the flashback, el capistan and maybe a memory man or something similar

EDIT: the el capistan doesn't have a looper, ahem

Actually it does. Not a traditional looper but it can do a ton of stuff. And every pas of the loops runs it back through the tape, so it degrades over time. But just a quick overview. You can manipulate the loops with all the tone controls on the pedal, you can bring the loop to double/half speed, and you can move to a regular delay mode DURING a loop, causing weird stutter and glitchy effects and then go BACK to the looper and the glitches and stutters are now recorded into the loop.

Anyway, no it's not a traditional looper, but it is really cool.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by greeny23
i'm out for now. but swing me an email if you have an OD or fuzz idea and i can probs hook you up.

sweet, thanks for all the suggestions mate. I might even pop over to Pedal Empire this afternoon and check out some of the Toyroom effects

Quote by ibanezguitars44
Actually it does. Not a traditional looper but it can do a ton of stuff. And every pas of the loops runs it back through the tape, so it degrades over time. But just a quick overview. You can manipulate the loops with all the tone controls on the pedal, you can bring the loop to double/half speed, and you can move to a regular delay mode DURING a loop, causing weird stutter and glitchy effects and then go BACK to the looper and the glitches and stutters are now recorded into the loop.

Anyway, no it's not a traditional looper, but it is really cool.

ah right, sorry, I don't know much about them.
I just watched a video, and all the features look immense. it's only slightly pricier than a memory man hazarai or the like, so for something a bit more unique, I'm on board

thanks again, people, I'd forgotten how great these forums are
Quote by Jiqunos
sweet, thanks for all the suggestions mate. I might even pop over to Pedal Empire this afternoon and check out some of the Toyroom effects

good choice. i hear that place is pimp in person!
mojostompboxes.com
Would you be interested in a Pitch changing pedal?
If so, the Digitech Whammy 5 is great. And not too expensive.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Yeah the Whammy 5 is would probably be my pick, just given that they're so ubiquitous (saw one in JB Hi-Fi the other day ).
That Morpheus Bomber is definitely competition though, given that it's barely half the price, and I do like the novelty of owning something slightly different to everyone else haha

It might be a little pricier to pick one up here, but I'll take a look online and see what I find
Quote by Jiqunos
Yeah the Whammy 5 is would probably be my pick, just given that they're so ubiquitous (saw one in JB Hi-Fi the other day ).
That Morpheus Bomber is definitely competition though, given that it's barely half the price, and I do like the novelty of owning something slightly different to everyone else haha

It might be a little pricier to pick one up here, but I'll take a look online and see what I find

Morpheus stuff doesn't compare to Digitech. IMO it would be better to play it safe and go for the Digitech. Anyway, your choice, man.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by nathan:-)
You could check out some Joyo or Caline stuff. They're great if you want to try out different effects or play certain songs without having to break the bank on the original pedals. I've got a Joyo phase 90 and Caline delay in the post at the moment, $60-$70 is a lot better than $300-$400 for pedals I won't use very often.

I only just spotted this - I've heard the Joyo stuff is great value. I like the look of their little green overdrive, as well as the Caline PureSky.

For the price of a DBA or EHX pedal I could pick up 5 or 6 of these little guys - quite tempting, really, I'll read up on some reviews
Quote by Jiqunos
I only just spotted this - I've heard the Joyo stuff is great value. I like the look of their little green overdrive, as well as the Caline PureSky.

For the price of a DBA or EHX pedal I could pick up 5 or 6 of these little guys - quite tempting, really, I'll read up on some reviews

visit the joyo thread here for plenty of opinions.

some love them, some hate them. i've had 3 come through and they've been rusty and broken inside on arrival from dealers. seen some inside though that look great so it's really a lucky dip.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
visit the joyo thread here for plenty of opinions.

some love them, some hate them. i've had 3 come through and they've been rusty and broken inside on arrival from dealers. seen some inside though that look great so it's really a lucky dip.

oh man, yeah that's a bit of a risk.
if there's anything amiss, I could always get out the ol' soldering iron and give it a poke - probably won't fix anything, but man is it fun

apologies to be a pain, but where is said Joyo thread? I can't seem to find it
I've got the Joyo Tremolo currently, there's a slight volume increase but it doesn't bother me. I've heard mixed reviews about lots of Joyo stuff, but for the price you can't really complain. Those places that sell them on eBay or Amazon are huge and rely on good feedback to sell products, so I think if you get a genuinely faulty one they'll be happy to replace or refund it.

I hope JB Hi-Fi expand their range of musical gear, there's not many big guitar stores around nowadays!
I've got the Joyo Tremolo currently, there's a slight volume increase but it doesn't bother me. I've heard mixed reviews about lots of Joyo stuff, but for the price you can't really complain. Those places that sell them on eBay or Amazon are huge and rely on good feedback to sell products, so I think if you get a genuinely faulty one they'll be happy to replace or refund it.

I hope JB Hi-Fi expand their range of musical gear, there's not many big guitar stores around nowadays!

ah good to hear, I reckon I might just grab one and go for it. I think you're right about the easy returns too.

yeah me too, I was gutted when Allans/Billy Hyde went out of business here in QLD. they were like the bunnings of music stores, it was fantastic
Quote by Jiqunos
ah good to hear, I reckon I might just grab one and go for it. I think you're right about the easy returns too.

yeah me too, I was gutted when Allans/Billy Hyde went out of business here in QLD. they were like the bunnings of music stores, it was fantastic

They're great when you want the effect but don't want to pay for the 'proper' pedal haha.
I know it sucks! I'm in Brisbane to, the only reason I ever went into Queen Street was to go to Allans and Egg Records, both of which aren't there any more
They're great when you want the effect but don't want to pay for the 'proper' pedal haha.
I know it sucks! I'm in Brisbane to, the only reason I ever went into Queen Street was to go to Allans and Egg Records, both of which aren't there any more

hey, nice! it is a bit depressing, but I guess it's probably giving the few small music stores more business, wherever they are

well I'm going to put together a bit of a tentative list out of the stuff I like the most so far, and get an idea of how over budget I am
alright, I think I've got a bit of a list going, if anyone is still interested

it's all heading well above the original budget, but that's not of primary concern right at this moment haha. this is definitely a longer term investment program, not an instant gratification build

I guess the most important/therefore expensive pedals are the reverb (I've got a very dry amp), and maybe the fuzz

verb
- Strymon BlueSky OR
- digitech supernatural

drive/distortion
- Joyo vintage overdrive and or ultimate drive OR
- something a little pricier - an EHX soul food or something - maybe even a lovepedal staxmaster or jekyl/hyde

fuzz
- any of the Toyroom norfleet/78 SD/MFZ-1 OR
- DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun - I really love the oscillation on this one

extras
- whammy 5
- TC vortex
- a tremolo (maybe the joyo?) - I'd like something that can square-wave, preferably
- wonderful, luscious delays

thanks!