Im left handed and play a right handed guitar upside down restrung, and I was wondering how I could use a strap. Someone suggested to drill a hole and install another strap button on the other side, but I just want to make sure before I do it.
That's pretty much what you'll have to do.

If you don't want to drill a new hole you could attach one end of the strap to the headstock instead. On my acoustic guitar, I use a bootlace to attach one end of the strap to the headstock.
I'm assuming he means electric guitar? The strap on the head won't really work there. It will slide right down and the body will hit the floor. Acoustics are quite a bit lighter.
You could always move the button to the heel of the neck. Then it will work right or left handed.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-kLMmyVENN-57ia17ClJSKIeI_2G8TpH3Snho1gdRKV_GSTnm
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I do that to all my explorers and i've seen it on SGs. Really helps out the balance issues on those guitars, too.
Quote by ryanbwags
I do that to all my explorers and i've seen it on SGs. Really helps out the balance issues on those guitars, too.

Thanks, can I use any type of drill? Sorry for all the questions, I've never drilled into my guitar and I don't want to damage it.
Just make sure you use a brand new bit, and don't go too deep. What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by ryanbwags
Just make sure you use a brand new bit, and don't go too deep. What kind of guitar is it?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Quote by hurricane0202
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Cool. You should be ok, then.
I've used guitars with straps at the heel of the neck, works well for some. Installed one on my Takamine acoustic there.

Put some masking tape on the drill bit for a depth gauge. You only need to drill 1/2 inch at most, stop when you reach the tape. Use a drill smaller than the screw. I put the drill in front of the screw and make sure I can see threads on both sides of the drill. Drilling oversize is a very bad idea, it won't hold.

For future reference, or if you make a mistake and drill oversize, I've been using toothpicks and match sticks for 30 years. Put a dab of wood glue on the end of either, poke it into the hole and shave it flush very carefully with an exacto knife. Masking tape may help protect the finish. Curved blade works best. Put the screw in. Give it overnight for the glue to set before using it. I don't think I have a strap peg without a match stick in it any more...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jan 24, 2015,
Quote by Paleo Pete
I've used guitars with straps at the heel of the neck, works well for some. Installed one on my TakaFor future reference, or if you make a mistake and drill oversize, I've been using toothpicks and match sticks for 30 years. Put a dab of wood glue on the end of either, poke it into the hole and shave it flush very carefully with an exacto knife.

A tip I got from a video featuring John Mayer's tech (who used to be SRV's) was to use wound guitar strings as filler. I've tried it and it works pretty damn well.