Poll: What order?
Poll Options
View poll results: What order?
The LotR trillogy, followed by The Hobbit trillogy.
4 100%
The Hobbit trillogy, followed by The LotR trillogy
0 0%
Voters: 4.
Page 1 of 4
Hey Pit.

If you would have a friend that has never seen any movie based on Tolkiens stories, would you first show him/her The Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit?

I am kind of in dubio, because there are arguments for both orders of course. The Hobbit portrays a story of Middle Earth some 60 years before LotR, but the LotR movies are older and they give a lot of context to the Hobbit movies. The special effects of LotR can kind of dissapoint after the Hobbit, and also the more grim kind of feel of the LotR movies (the same as the LotR books are more grim than the hobbit book) kan kind of be considered to be more 'boring' after The Hobbit maybe?

Help me out guys.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
LOTR because Hobbit films are mediocre at best

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by soundgarden1986
Id tell them to watch blade runner instead

Id tell them to watch your mother instead

This is a serious question bro. The same question actually applies to the starwars saga!! What would you do??

-Peavey Bandit 112
LOTR without a second thought.

You wouldn't have someone watch the Star Wars prequels before watching the original trilogy.
Quote by unnamedplayer
Id tell them to watch your mother instead

This is a serious question bro. The same question actually applies to the starwars saga!! What would you do??

Quote by daytripper75

You wouldn't have someone watch the Star Wars prequels before watching the original trilogy.

I disagree. When I watch through the Star Wars movies, I always do them in storyline order, so I get the prequels before the original films.

Same will go for the Tolkien movies - storyline order, so I'd watch Hobbit then LOTR.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by soundgarden1986

Would you have them watch the HD remake first or the original cut?

-Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by GaryBillington
I disagree. When I watch through the Star Wars movies, I always do them in storyline order, so I get the prequels before the original films.

Same will go for the Tolkien movies - storyline order, so I'd watch Hobbit then LOTR.

Additionally, The Hobbit was written well before the Lord of the Rings. Also, in LotR, there are numerous references to the events from The Hobbit.

-Peavey Bandit 112
definitely the hobbit first but you have to show them the 77 film or 85 film
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jan 23, 2015,
both are equally shit

Quote by GaryBillington

You're doing both those franchises wrong.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by daytripper75

How about a poll?
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

The movies are pretty equal IMO, besides Desolation of Smaug which was awful. The Hobbit is easily the superior book, and the Battle of the Five Armies is my favorite out of all the middle earth movies. It's hard to say which someone should watch first, though, as both are pretty different. It also depends on whether the friend prefers a more light hearted and direct story (Hobbit) or a more complex storyline (LotR).
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti
The movies are pretty equal IMO, besides Desolation of Smaug which was awful. The Hobbit is easily the superior book, and the Battle of the Five Armies is my favorite out of all the middle earth movies. It's hard to say which someone should watch first, though, as both are pretty different. It also depends on whether the friend prefers a more light hearted and direct story (Hobbit) or a more complex storyline (LotR).

*snicker*

The Hobbit films are garbage. Peter Jackson couldn't have more effectively shat all over the source material without a helicopter and Kleen Prep.
Quote by Diemon Dave
The only thing worth watching that actually complements the book that I loved, out of all three hobbit movies, is the dwarfs singing "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates." It's the only scene I can remember that really captured the magic of the Hobbit book. I can watch it over and over.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

They are the same in quality. People that say the graphics in the hobbit suck probably are just shitting on it cause hfr. I would watch them in storyline order. Same with star wars.

Desolation of smaug is the weakest yeah. but I didn't like return of the king very much either so... Both have very good scenes though but too much ridiculous fighting. Legolas killing everyone on the mumakil and the mumakil itself? Bullshit. But then again all the elves fighting the orcs in the barrel scene was also a bit ridiculous.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 23, 2015,
Quote by GaryBillington

We're talking about people that haven't seen the movies.

It makes more sense to show them the better movies first. More so when the prequels, in both cases, aren't necessary to understanding the original movies.
Quote by daytripper75
We're talking about people that haven't seen the movies.

It makes more sense to show them the better movies first. More so when the prequels, in both cases, aren't necessary to understanding the original movies.

Why would you show the last movies and then be like "hey actually you missed three movies lets watch them now"
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by homeless-john
I'd rather sit in complete silence, staring at a friend while he read The Hobbit in its entirety before doing a marathon of all 3 films.

This. So much this.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You're doing both those franchises wrong.

this

star wars - just skip them all and watch spaceballs instead

lotr/hobbit - in this order: '77 hobbit, '85 soviet hobbit, '93 finnish lotr
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
*snicker*

The Hobbit films are garbage. Peter Jackson couldn't have more effectively shat all over the source material without a helicopter and Kleen Prep.

The Hobbit films have been decent, besides Des of Smaug. They are actually pretty close to the source material, aside from the stupid necromancer arc which wasn't necessary at all. Oh, and Tauriel was also entirely unnecessary as she served no purpose to the story.
¯\_()_/¯
The necromancer arc tied the ****ing thing together.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CaptainCanti
The Hobbit films have been decent, besides Des of Smaug. They are actually pretty close to the source material, aside from the stupid necromancer arc which wasn't necessary at all. Oh, and Tauriel was also entirely unnecessary as she served no purpose to the story.

Well done, you know precisely nothing about the Hobbit, LotR and Middle Earth.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why would you show the last movies and then be like "hey actually you missed three movies lets watch them now"

We all did that, and we turned out just fine.

It would be different if the originals made no sense without the prequels, but that isn't the case.

I'll admit that the Hobbit movies were far better prequels than the Star Wars prequels, but they still aren't as good.

Why risk turning them off of the franchise as a whole by showing them inferior movies first? More so when it isn't necessary to do it? Do you think that The Phantom Menace is more likely to get someone interested in Star Wars than A New Hope? I highly doubt it.

Not to mention you'd ruin the whole reveal in Empire Strikes Back, assuming you're showing them to someone that has no knowledge of Star Wars. That alone is enough reason not to watch the prequels first.

And yes, I know the original question was about The Hobbit vs LOTR.
Quote by unnamedplayer
Hey Pit.

If you would have a friend that has never seen any movie based on Tolkiens stories, would you first show him/her The Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit?

I am kind of in dubio, because there are arguments for both orders of course. The Hobbit portrays a story of Middle Earth some 60 years before LotR, but the LotR movies are older and they give a lot of context to the Hobbit movies. The special effects of LotR can kind of dissapoint after the Hobbit, and also the more grim kind of feel of the LotR movies (the same as the LotR books are more grim than the hobbit book) kan kind of be considered to be more 'boring' after The Hobbit maybe?

Help me out guys.

It depends, is she good looking or a complete pig?
Quote by daytripper75
We all did that, and we turned out just fine.

It would be different if the originals made no sense without the prequels, but that isn't the case.

I'll admit that the Hobbit movies were far better prequels than the Star Wars prequels, but they still aren't as good.

Why risk turning them off of the franchise as a whole by showing them inferior movies first? More so when it isn't necessary to do it? Do you think that The Phantom Menace is more likely to get someone interested in Star Wars than A New Hope? I highly doubt it.

Not to mention you'd ruin the whole reveal in Empire Strikes Back, assuming you're showing them to someone that has no knowledge of Star Wars. That alone is enough reason not to watch the prequels first.

And yes, I know the original question was about The Hobbit vs LOTR.
I honestly doubt that people would value a new hope that much in this day an age. It is too slow paced. I bet they would stop watching after 20 minutes of r2d2 and 3cpo in the desert.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I honestly doubt that people would value a new hope that much in this day an age. It is too slow paced. I bet they would stop watching after 20 minutes of r2d2 and 3cpo in the desert.

People who do that should be euthanised.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
People who do that should be euthanised.

No. People who say the hobbit movies suck should be euthanized.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
No. People who say the hobbit movies suck should be euthanized.

Yea, the truth needs to be silenced.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yea, the truth needs to be silenced.

The truth that a new hope is not as great as people make it out to be? Yes. Slow pacing, horrible acting, stormtroopers are the worst enemies ever, dead star can be blown up with one bomb from the outside etc.not to mention that awful, awful lightsaber battle.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Aren't LoTR just regarded as better because everyone who sees Bilbo now were like 12-15 or wahtever when they saw LoTR and that that was ****ign awesome. Now that it is done and you're 10 years older it's not just as interesting really.

Or are they genuinely worse? I really didn't like either of the two I saw, but I don't like the lotr movies either nowadays. Don't know if I would like LoTR more if those had been released now and Bilbo 10 years ago or wahtever it is.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Aren't LoTR just regarded as better because everyone who sees Bilbo now were like 12-15 or wahtever when they saw LoTR and that that was ****ign awesome. Now that it is done and you're 10 years older it's not just as interesting really.

Or are they genuinely worse? I really didn't like either of the two I saw, but I don't like the lotr movies either nowadays. Don't know if I would like LoTR more if those had been released now and Bilbo 10 years ago or wahtever it is.

Critically speaking, the LOTR trilogy is better received. Look at how many awards ROTK won.

I know that isn't everything of course.
Quote by Neo Evil11
The truth that a new hope is not as great as people make it out to be? Yes. Slow pacing, horrible acting, stormtroopers are the worst enemies ever, dead star can be blown up with one bomb from the outside etc.not to mention that awful, awful lightsaber battle.

Stormtroopers are way better enemies than battle droids. And the droid control ship that can be blown up by a whiny kid with a bowl cut?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 4