I posted this on that purple audio forum, but figured I'd throw it here as well in case any of you guys have experience with the monitors I'm considering...

My monitors are currently the weakest part of my setup, and I'm about to finish pre-production on my band's next LP. I am on a tight budget ($1200 total - this includes mastering and duplication) so I can only swing $4-500 on monitors if I upgrade them.

Currently running Rokit 5 monitors in a treated home studio (dedicated second bedroom). I'm very comfortable with the Rokits, I've been using them for about 3 or 4 years, so I'd like to have as little of a re-learning curve as possible with new monitors so I can get the LP done by fall.

My current though is the VXT4 - there's a sweetwater deal for $500 with mo-pads (I already have those) and a few ebay sellers that come in below that.

Pros:
- I figure they'll be similar-ish to the rokits and will have a shorter adjustment period
- Our music style is folky/surfy/americana/classic pop, so there's no edm bass going on - just a fender mustang bass with flats. I don't need crazy sub frequency response.
- Price

Cons:
- Still low on the totem pole, may not be a big enough jump from rokits - another brand may have a better monitor for the same price
- ??? you tell me!

Thoughts? Any alternatives I should consider?

Bonus question: There are a pair of Mackie hr824 (mk1 I think) in a closet at my office. I can try to borrow or purchase them from my company, but will they be a significant upgrade?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I figure they'll be similar-ish to the rokits and will have a shorter adjustment period
In the sense that they'll still sound bad yes, they're similar.

Not as bad as the rp5's but still bad, for whatever price.
Quote by Sid McCall
Still low on the totem pole, may not be a big enough jump from rokits - another brand may have a better monitor for the same price
Find yourself a pair of used HS8's and be done with it.

Or a pair of LSR308 if you can't get yourself to spend that money on the yamy's.
Quote by Sid McCall
Thoughts? Any alternatives I should consider?
Only bad sounding monitors have a "learning curve", it's inherent of their bad sound, so if you get nice sounding monitors you'll spend a lot less time getting used to them.
Quote by Sid McCall
There are a pair of Mackie hr824 (mk1 I think) in a closet at my office. I can try to borrow or purchase them from my company, but will they be a significant upgrade?
No mackie monitor speaker sounds much good and they won't be a worthwhile upgrade for sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Soooo...which of any of those have you personally used?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
HS8's, rp5's, LSR308's and MR824mk2.
Not all in a treated room though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
HS8 or HS80M. There will be a learning curve, for the better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
A switch in monitors can take up to 6 months to adjust.....depending on how big a gap you jump. I went from Rockits to A7X's and it took me a solid 6 months to learn how they translate and really hear the difference in my end product.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
A switch in monitors can take up to 6 months to adjust.....depending on how big a gap you jump. I went from Rockits to A7X's and it took me a solid 6 months to learn how they translate and really hear the difference in my end product.

Agreed.

Depends on what you're switching to, though. The Rokits are completely different in response to the A7Xs, so I could see why there would be a huge learning curve.

For me, switching from Adam S2As to my Yamaha HS80Ms was a super quick transition. Took me a matter of days to start getting better mixes out of them, but they are more similar in response.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Update: been working with the Mackies for a week or two now, took a few nights but I'm starting to get the hang of them. The bass response is outstanding, I thought I would find out that my bass guitars were too loud based on the Rokits, turns out they were WAY too quiet! I tweaked them a bit and cleared up a ton of mud. Really looking forward to tracking on them this weekend.

Once I have to return them to my office, I'll probably spring for Yamahas - used pairs are a great value, and the reviews are all outstanding. We'll see what happens.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Update 2: Had to return the Mackies after I finished pre-production demos. Ordered a pair of Yamaha MSP7 monitors, should be here this week.

Of course that blew half of our LP budget and now we're going to do the whole thing at home instead of paying for a studio to track rhythm parts - at least I was able to go into this knowing that in advance, so I bought the nicest monitors I could afford.

Can't wait to get started! Step one? Finding out how much of our demos can be salvaged for the master cuts!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass