My girlfriend is going to get me a guitar for my birthday since my current one's knobs are kind of wonky (under $200 price range) I have always wanted to play bass though. Maybe since I was in a band and was the rhythm guitarist,I was never the one doing the solos and stuff.

But I've found out that tuning a bass a lot causes damage to the truss rod and can damage the bass. So I would probably get one for Standard E and maybe D, and then another for C.

But I can't decide if I should just get a new electric guitar or start playing bass. I listen to alot of metal bands like Megadeth, Amon Amarth, Testament, Lamb of God, etc and I feel like the bass parts that these bands use are 95% similar to the guitar tab.

I really can't make up my mind. When I imagine me playing bass, and when I have at guitar center, I feel they are more flexible when covering songs meaning I can do little things here and there that create a new "feel" to the song whereas the guitar is more precise and sounds odd if you start "grooving on it" if that makes any sense at all.

Opinions? Oh and I would have to get a bass amp too.

EDIT: I think bass might be fun, but at the same time feel a regular guitar can do (just about) anything a bass can but with a little more options too. That's why I don't know if getting a bass AND a new amp is worth it because it's very similar to the guitar parts PLUS I would need another bass for playing down tuned songs.
Last edited by Androxine Vorte at Jan 23, 2015,
To be honest, if you start playing bass you'll only need one and a practice bass amp. But if your guitar is in bad shape I'd buy a new guitar.
No
Well; the bass would certainly open up a new musical world for you. A lot of guitarists pick up a bass and think it will be little more than a baritone guitar, only to be pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a very different instrument that is a blast to play.

Many of the "Shred Metal" bands do have the bass play little more than a shadow of the guitar's rhythm parts, but once you really get into bass and learn how to listen for it in a song (or just look at a professionally written tab of the song), you learn that the bass is doing a great deal more than you originally thought.

"Groove" is a term that is hopelessly overused by bassists. It comes from the fact that the electric bass came into its own in certain types of music: Jazz, Funk, Motown, etc. These types of music usually do, in fact, "groove" in their rhythms, but no Shred Metal or Prog Rock tune is going to have a "groove." It simply would not fit into the genre. In these genres, the bass is a rhythm instrument, and much more.

In short, I'd go with the bass. And if you do, then allow me to be the first to say it:

"Welcome to the Low End, my friend!"
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley