Hey what's up everybody, I wanted to ask you something. All my life I have thought that V guitars, warlocks, and explorers were the coolest looking guitars. I already have a warlock (warbeast actually) and I'm very happy with it. But I'm wondering if purchasing other guitars is worth it. I'm not really doing it for tone, just looks. And i don't really see myself doing this other than a hobby. I don't want to waste money since it's so tight right now.

What are your thoughts on guitar collections?
(I feel like I'm betraying my warbeast if I buy other guitars lol)
Own as many guitars as you can safely keep and buy. I have 9
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
20+ for me, and more to come, no doubt.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
People should be free to collect as many as they like. Guitars aren't just tools.

My family owns 10.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 23, 2015,
Quality counts over quantity but why not have some variety? Your guitar isn't gonna be pissed you're cheating on it. Its good to have at least an electric and an acoustic. Plus, my HH Cort does things my Mustang can't do, neither does gritty punch like my P90 loaded LP Special knock-off. And everyone should own some sorta tele.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to one guitar but there's also nothing wrong with buying every guitar you come across if you like it, have the money and want to.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I got 4 - two are high end and no 3 is a PRS SE and the 4th a Taylor Acoustic 100 series. If I had the money I'd round out my collection with a Custom Shop Principal Skinner in VOS. IMO there's nothing wrong with owning as many as you can afford as lng as the bills are paid and the family isn't hurting or held back because of it.
Moving on.....
Are you crazy? I want a new guitar just to put some of them A# strings on one. Plus, you can get one with Floyd rose to try it out. Tons of endless options
Having various guitars in various tunings is one very good reason to have more than one guitar. So is having a fixed bridge, a Kahler, and a Floyd. But so is looks. I have ordered a Warlock, and I want a Kerry King V. And a Warrior to replace my current Warrior...and a King V or a Demmelition...and a 7-string...and a customized guitar...

Sure you can survive with one guitar, but if you don't have to, why would you?
My personal philosophy is that you should buy as many guitars as you want, as long as they're different enough to warrant purchasing it. I wouldn't have 6 Strats all in standard tuning, because they're all the same and essentially a waste. I would however have 2 Strats (one in standard, one a half step down), an SG, a LP, a Tele, an SG with P-90's, a hollowbody, an acoustic, a 12-string acoustic, and another electric in an open tuning, because they're all different from each other and serve different purposes.

However, if you have the money, buy whatever you want. I'm a bedroom player and a uni student, so if I buy a guitar I have to actually need it first.
I have 4 main ones a Gibson acoustic an Ibanez Artist and a Gretsch Jet and a Fender Stratocaster. All sound and play pretty different so i can get a greater variety of sound when i record. Right now my home is small so I probably won't get much more.
Quote by Androxine Vorte
I'm wondering if purchasing other guitars is worth it. I'm not really doing it for tone, just looks. And i don't really see myself doing this other than a hobby. I don't want to waste money since it's so tight right now

I think you answered your own question ...... I have 14 total and could see have a few more
You may not be doing it for tone, but if you shop around and buy another one or two, I think you'll find they're going to have different characteristics and nuances. Unless all you're doing is buying the same guitar in a different color. Is it worth the money? Ehh.... that really depends on you and how oyu perceive the differences. It's a personal taste/personal enjoyment kind of thing.
Have 31 guitars around the house and more to come.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If I ever have enough money to complete my G.A.S. list (as it currently stands), I will be able to record a version of "99 Problems" with slightly altered- but TRUE- lyrics.

"If you're havin' axe problems, I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 guitars but a V ain't one..."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 24, 2015,
im in the ~20 mark. 7 gibsons, 3 ibanez prestiges, 3 higher end american teles, two USA wolfgangs, a, MIM strat, a fender showmaster, a USA peavey horizon II, washburn dime, a custom, and a few others i don't remember

and don't forget the squier in minnesota.

20 ellectrics.

i also have 5 classicals. all vintage yamaha nippon gakki
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Absolutely nothing wrong with owning tons of guitars. I intend to collect a bunch, one at a time, as money allows. Personally, I would avoid having multiple guitars that fill that same purpose (like, multiples with similar pickups, kept in the same tuning, with similar look and feel), unless I was gigging hard and had them as backups. Ultimately, I'd like to have three hardtail 6-strings, for standard, Robert Fripp's new standard, and some drop tuning, another three in the same tunings, with floyds, at least two 7-stringers, with and without floyd, and then finally, money allowing, a couple nice and classy fenders or gibsons, just for collection's sake.
I love Fripp's NST...

There's no such thing as too many guitars.

I had 9 a couple of years ago, 6 now and a couple that need repairs, 5 amps, 2 saxes, a flute, 2 xylophones, a Wurlitzer electric piano...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I love Fripp's NST...

I've only messed with it a little bit, and it was quite interesting. Almost immediately came up with some cool chord voicings. Playing lead seemed like it was going to take a little bit to wrap my head around. I intend to really start working with it once I get a guitar that doesn't have a floyd, so my main can stay in D standard for the groups I play with.
About half of my guitars are in NST. It is the only alternative tuning I have thoroughly explored.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
About half of my guitars are in NST. It is the only alternative tuning I have thoroughly explored.

Nice. Once I get a guitar I can leave in it indefinitely, I'm gonna familiarize myself with it by learning King Crimson songs.
I'm aware people have tabbed their stuff- as well as that of related acts like California Guitar Trio, Tony Gebale and the League of Crafty Guitarists- but AFAIK, none of it exists as true sheet music.

Also, if you go that route with an acoustic, DO consider an Ovation.

I'm here. I have Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric guitar, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric guitar, DeRosa acoustic-electric guitar and Everfun cutaway acoustic guitar.

What I don't play anymore is an Everfun one because it's little until I got the original size of DeRosa one.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Some questions:

1 - Can you afford it?
2 - Is there enough space where you live?
3 - Do you live either alone or with people who will accept the used space and money?

If the answer to all three of those is "yes" then go ahead. Anyone who would criticise you without having direct stake in your livelihood and living space is irrelevant.

Incidentally... I have about 9-10 guitars. Currently live with people who don't care and soon will be moving in with my partner who also plays guitar so that's all good too.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
After reading this thread, the only option for me it to buy more guitars.

Just the other day, my wife was shopping for a new purse, then the topic came up about why she needed a new purse. She looked at me and patiently said: How many guns and guitars do you have???

Well, I counted 4 times more guns than guitars so I guess need more guitars to balance it out.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Some questions:

1 - Can you afford it?
2 - Is there enough space where you live?

3 - Do you live either alone or with people who will accept the used space and money?

If the answer to all three of those is "yes" then go ahead. Anyone who would criticise you without having direct stake in your livelihood and living space is irrelevant.

Incidentally... I have about 9-10 guitars. Currently live with people who don't care and soon will be moving in with my partner who also plays guitar so that's all good too.

you should see my house. i have guitars spread accross four rooms. 10+ all tube amps, and two hybrid, and a randall SS.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Owning multiple electric guitars a waste?

Probably, but it's fun.
With one exception; if you're going to play professionally, you'll want to have at least one backup.

I can't help you with "looks" as a reason for buying more guitars, but you should probably start with a Variax if you're looking to have a lot of different guitar tones/sounds.
I have twelve with different pickups, different shapes, different tunings and different bridge styles, string thru, stop tail , several Floyd's, even a Kahler ( which is damn nice)

I don't need them all and they all spend their fair share of time in cases but they also get amp time as well.

I don't plan to stop collecting but I have for sure slowed down.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 26, 2015,