Hello everyone I wasn't completely sure where to put this so hopefully it doesn't get moved(I tend to find the people in the electric guitar forum helpful). But the issue I am having is that my band has been playing sort of indie type rock stuff, but the other guitarist(who is also the lead singer) has been doing some things that have been making it hard for me to enjoy being in the band(we started it together but he has become kinda dominant). Sometimes he seems like he is making an effort to let me do what I want, but other times it seems like he doesn't want me writing my own stuff(a while ago he admitted that he wanted to be the frontman-but he also just goes into solos non-stop).

So the issue is either how do I make this work, or should I be branching off a bit-I had wanted to get an acoustic amp at some point so that when I have written more songs I could play coffee shops or similar type stuff but instead got an old peavey encore 65 to play with the band more. I prefer playing electric most of the time, and I like playing with the full band but people like dallas green(city and color) kinda make me think that focusing on song writing may be the most important thing. I am just a bit frustrated because I am starting to lose my friendship with the other guitarist, and also I have some serious issues with chronic fatigue that make it nearly impossible for me to do anything other than music so I am kinda forced to take this seriously. Thanks for any and all help and sorry for the long question-it could have been much longer though
Do what makes you happy, because at some point it might drive you nuts.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Two questions:

Is the main issue that the other guitarist is soloing over everything?
How is the other guitarist stopping you from doing what you want to do, rather than the entire band stopping you (assuming that it's more than just you two)?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Two questions:

Is the main issue that the other guitarist is soloing over everything?
How is the other guitarist stopping you from doing what you want to do, rather than the entire band stopping you (assuming that it's more than just you two)?

Well a part of it is that the other guitarist has told me that the style I write in is more for acoustic style stuff-which is true a lot of the time, but he has become more controlling and he never even doubts whether or not we will play WHATEVER he writes. And it irritates me that he is singing and soloing during almost every gap, he gives me solos but I don't like being in a band that really only plays what he writes-and is lead by him.
Sounds like you should join a different band - this one is no fun.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Mainly it sounds like you two need to talk.

It is difficult to be in a band, the image in your head is of four people (or whatever) striving together with a common dream against the rest of the world. The reality is lumpy, touchy humanity muddling through each trying to get as much as they can out of the experience. Much like the rest of life.

No band will ever give you all of what you want, and if it did it would be at the expense of the other band members giving up what they want at least to some extent. Lots of people can't handle giving up any of their autonomy or more likely strike a rock when they discover something they have to have that the rest of the band hate. If your band is to have any success you all need to give way sometimes.

On the plus side each band is a learning experience and will let you explore a part of your musical personality you'd miss out on if there were never any pressure to compromise. A bit of creative tension is also a spur to raise your game.

So go and talk to your mate, find out if he can compromise. He may want to be the frontman but that doesn't mean he has to be bandleader and musical director too, or that he has a right to be frontman. It's difficult enough to get anyone to front a band, if you've got two people who can do the job that makes the band more interesting potentially but it takes a very confident person to share the position.

Most of the things you mention are things you should discuss as a band, which are the better songs, where solos should go, how much space you leave in songs, whose voice suits a song best and so on, you've got to learn to discuss these things without egos getting in the way.

It's absolutely reasonable for you to expect to have a say in the band's direction and to expect it to be a vehicle for your songs. Having two song writers should be brilliant, not a problem as should two contrasting guitar styles and two singers, so find out if he can share. Work out a way of choosing songs. Find out if you can work together and don't let it fester, just calmly decide what needs to be resolved and start the discussion. If there isn't going to be enough in it for you then fine, walk away but talk it through first.
I would like to listen to your composition and his.

But from this point of view, I can say...

You better off forming another band but don't keep secret.
Keep it casual but still playing in the old band of yours.

You want it serious while the other member, it's just hobby for them.
So, treat it as a business.
No hard feeling or whatsoever.

So when the time for you to unleashed your own musical style, you go with the other band.
When it comes to play with your beloved friend, go back to the old one.

For myself, I branch out solo but under a new band identity.
I don't sell myself solo.
My idea is that I can recruit any new secessionist as band member and they will feel at home.
But when they started to step on your head, remind them they're just a CREW.

Again, I reply from a "business" point of view since you're saying that you want to get serious in this music industry.