Hello everybody. I have a problem, and really need expert advice.
I own a Kerry King Signature Marshall top, which is a couple of years old. While using it i noticed a kinda burned smell, looked behind it and saw one of my tubes was kinda blue'ish. That means the tube is done for it right? So my question(s)-
Where should I buy a fairly cheap tube, and do I have to replace all 4? Or can i only replace one of Them? And do i need to pay for a recalibration of the amplifier?

Thank you very much.
Joho90
As far as I know I don't think tubes are supposed to make a burning smell. I'd have it checked by a tech to make sure nothing fried on you.

If it is just a tube issue you will need to replace the tube, yes. And chances are if it's a couple years old without a retube the others are right behind that one. Tubes are sold as matched pairs and quads so they bias evenly. You should definitely replace all 4 power tubes.

Tube depot, eurotubes and doug's tubes are all reputable dealers that will give you a fair price. Buy tubes from them and take the amp to a tech for biasing and a once-over. You could bias it yourself, but as I said before best to check nothing else is wrong.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The blue color is completely normal.

It could be dust burning off the tubes if you don't keep it covered.
Did you notice any drop in volume or a change in your tone?

If you buy a set of power-tubes, buy a matched set of 4 and get it re-biased for the best results. But I don't think you need to change tubes for what your describing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I sometimes forget to put the cover on, and it definately smelled like burnt dust.
But are you guys sure that blue'ish color is alright? I always Think its a little lower volume after I've been playing a while..
The only bad tube color is red. Orange blue and purple are all good to go.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Joho90
I sometimes forget to put the cover on, and it definately smelled like burnt dust.
But are you guys sure that blue'ish color is alright? I always Think its a little lower volume after I've been playing a while..

Yes blue is 100% normal and is just impurities in the actual tube.

Now you did say the amp is a few years old and you can sometimes hear what seems like a volume drop. You may have a dying powertube or tubes if you are truly experiencing volume drops and a new set of tubes would not be bad to have on hand.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
The only bad tube color is red. Orange blue and purple are all good to go.

when a tube blows white it is also bad.

i actually just had a tube go white on me a little while ago, i had never seen it before. it must have been pretty messed up.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae