Do you often crank it up and play on high volume? I do because it's more fun and it feels better. Maybe it's stupid because I already have tinnitus.
Wear protection.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I never play past 3-5.

And yeah, protect your ears, because it would suck if you could no longer hear how well or badly you play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
No, never. There's no need to. I don't want to **** my ears up. I've had my bouts with tinnitus. So no.
Love your ears (and neighbors) more and tone it down! It's more worth it to hear (and be able to hear) other parts (if you're in a band) than self-indulging.
I play loud, always have and I don't wear ear protection. I have better hearing than most people still after doing this 20+ years.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I play loud, always have and I don't wear ear protection. I have better hearing than most people still after doing this 20+ years.

You're very fortunate. Be grateful. ( I don't want to imply that you aren't. I'm just a bit jealous )
Quote by Robbgnarly

Mutant!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by jekylhyde
You're very fortunate. Be grateful. ( I don't want to imply that you aren't. I'm just a bit jealous )

I guess it is just genetics. I tried playing with ear-plugs and I hated them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not for practicing or recording. My tube amp has a powersponge so I can keep reasonably good tone for practicing without blowing out my apartment.

At gigs or jamming, blast it.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I turn my amp up loud enough to start to push some air. Occasionally I'll crank it for a few minutes to hear it in all its glory -- but never more than a few minutes. I've read somewhere that the amount of time exposed to extreme volume is a more important consideration than absolute volume -- but I could be mistaken.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I actually feel really comfortable when wearing earplugs. It's like being in the eye of the storm.
I never play loud at home. I might set it semi loud at time, but even thats pretty rare. I can still hear my guitar while playing most of the time.

Its a different thing at practice tho. We have to compete with a pretty agressive drummer, so yes, its loud. It wasnt as bad in my previous band, and i didnt have any hearing problems after 3 years of playing. But with the current band, i managed to get tinitus inside 3 months. I've been wearing earplugs all the time since then, and it has actually gotten better, to the point where i have to concentrate to notice it sometimes. But yeah, playing loud without protection is a very bad thing.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Not like I used to. I've been playing for 27 years and use to play insanely loud at times. I still like to put the hammer down here and there. I'm honestly not sure if I've suffered hearing damage or not. If I have, it's not bad yet.
At home I practice with a Fender Champ, cranked wide open it's not really that loud, but I normally keep it around 6 or so.

With the band I'm in now we play venues where we have to keep the volume down, the Champ actually works for a lead amp, last weekend I had it on 8. I use the Super Reverb for cleans, volume around 3 or so, same at home if I practice with it.

Years ago I played in some loud bands. I've had the Super Reverb cranked to 10 and had trouble hearing it...Also played with a 130 watt Peavey MX, never found a band that could make me turn it past 7 or so...and at that volume it's freakin LOUD...

My favorite guitar sound is a tube amp dimed, but I don't get to hear it often these days, even the Champ is loud enough to bother my mother next door...so I play pretty quiet these days most of the time.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I play loud as much as I can ... fortunate enough not to have neighbors complain or close by ..... But hey , you got to know how to adjust your tone at performance levels before you get on stage and not know how to dial it in at the sound level , things change at volume
You rocktease!

I never do. I don't want to bother the neighborhood and I don't want to kill my ears. Being around older families has me concerned about my hearing. They never went to concerts, never used in-ear headphones, never played instruments and due to age have a hard time hearing. Ear doctors and makers of hearing-aides are looking to make a ton on money once my and younger generations get older.
I'm living in a flat, so I have t fine tune the master to somewhere between 2 or 3% to keep the 50w amp at household noise levels
Quote by Zerpent93
Do you often crank it up and play on high volume? I do because it's more fun and it feels better. Maybe it's stupid because I already have tinnitus.

Yup. Stupid.
Crank it up if you like but wear hearing protection. You can make your tinnitus worse and you can increase your hearing damage. I know at least one long-time arena rocker who has seriously cut back stage volume of late (he has tinnitus as well). In his case, a contributing factor was the fact that he's ridden extremely loud Harleys most of his life. Losing your hearing is not fun and will not feel better.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Pete Townshend probably felt the same way when he was standing in front of blasting stacks in the 80s. Now he has trouble playing because he can’t always hear himself over the tinnitus.
I'm always wearing earplugs at rehearsal level. How you get through standing in the same room as a drummer without intense pain otherwise, I have never understood. At home, I don't play louder than I would listening to music in general (a level which you can talk over).

Even wearing earplugs is sometimes not enough. They only remove a certain decibel level, and while they're always better than nothing, there could be instances where the sound-level is so high that it's still harmful with earplugs if you're exposed to it for a long time. This situation does not happen on stage, but it could well do in a rehearsal room with a loud drummer.

I'm using those typical plugs everyone has at festivals, rubber with a lace tied to them, but I sometimes have my ears ringing after long sessions despite the fact that they fit as they should. I know of a drummer who had tinnitus, got very expensive custom molded musician plugs - and ended up with career ending hearing damage because they didn't protect enough.

Those earmuffs you're using while moving the lawn isn't going to let you hear what you're playing well, but your ears will love them.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
When I go to concerts, I use rifleman's plugs. They have a metal core with a removable, cleanable silicone sleeve. You can hear what is going on around you, but the major decibels are kept out.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
When I go to concerts, I use rifleman's plugs.

On a related note, gun shows and shops are a great place to get custom earplugs at a good price. In the USA your health insurance might even cover part of the cost of custom earplugs—they’d rather pay for that than an audiologist.
well when I lived at the family farm I could crank it up cuz no neighbors to piss off. never played stupid loud though. live in apt now so have to keep it down. while playing loud can be fun I don't play any louder than I would if playing in band. no reason to turn the amp up to 11.
i thought i permanently damaged mine at this shithole bar when there were two 5150 fullstacks dimed in a tiny space. my ears rang for weeks. couldn't hear vocals bass nothing just dimed 5150's. and i play in bars often and go to a lot of concerts. i play loud all the time.

11 years in, i go to the audiologist, and my hearing tests PERFECT. i am so happy. i am going to get attenuating ear plugs at some point in time.

i haven't wrecked it yet, and i really don't want to.

but i do practice loud even at night, the wifey learned to ignore it after a year. so
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/