So I've got a Blackstar HT5-R and been wondering what distortion pedal to get the right tone.
my guitar has Seymour Duncan Blackouts so the pedals i tried so far gave me a really sludgy and disturbing tone
I usually play Opeth Dream Theater and such, some people adviced me the Ibanez Jemini but I can't be sure since I've never tried it
Do any of you have the same or similar combo ?
An overdrive like a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Don't, and I repeat don't get a distortion pedal. They should be illegal.
Work with your amps distortion and use the overdrive to boost it a bit more. Oh, and look into an MXR 6/10 band EQ, since JP's Mark V's have them. That's all you really need.

There is a video on youtube how he sets the EQ, so just set it like he does and work with your amp.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I kinda ruled out the overdriver pedals since the amp itself has overdrive do they stack
You just need a boost overdrive along with the crunch of the amp. The on-board distortion sounds pretty good, so just use the OD to thicken it up.

Your active pups should be doing essentially the same thing as a boost, so work with your amp a bit more. Use the on-board distortion, then allow the actives to boost the amp to a satisfying tone.

The (arguably) best way to get a great metal sound is to have your amp producing a mildly heavy crunch with the on-board effects, then utilize a boost for full saturation and punch.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 24, 2015,
What Will said. Since you have actives set a light crunch on the amp, and then a light crunch on the OD, and you will achieve a very nice sounds. Petrucci's tone is full of mids, so don't scoop them.
Fly on, fly on
is there any specific pedals you might suggest so far i kinda liked t.c mojomojo
^I'd just get a Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive. It's a lot cheaper and does essentially the same thing. The Electro-Harmonix Soul Food is also a good choice, as it has more clean boost potential and headroom (which you'll want, considering your active pups).
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 24, 2015,
Do you have any other guitars?

The Bad Monkey is the best choice for cheap. Whilst the Maxon OD-8 or whatever it's called is supposedly the best(Very early on Maxon produced Tubescreamers for Ibanez, so it's like they made them first).There are shitloads of TS clones, pick the one you like best and roll with that.
Fly on, fly on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY

As the other said, a Tubescreamer OD of some sort. Whatever EQ settingsyou decide on boost the mids a bit.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY

As the other said, a Tubescreamer OD of some sort. Whatever EQ settingsyou decide on boost the mids a bit.

+infinity.

I wonder how I can listen to thrash metal without cringing at the tone.
Fly on, fly on