I'm learning all the beginner chords and right now I'm working on the C chord. Any tips on how to place my hands that may have worked for you guys?
I usually arch my fingers into a claw shape and press straight down on to the frets. But I find that other strings get muted often or I'm not pressing down hard enough and it causes my strings to make this buzzing sound :/
Could it be the quality of this really cheap off brand guitar I'm using that makes it a bit harder then it usually is?
I don't believe it is the guitar making it that much harder you may just need to practice more and build up strength in your hand and fingers. A common way of finguring the chord C ( I am assuming C major) is 1st finger on first fret of the B string, 2nd finger on the second fret of the D string and then the third finger on the third fret of the A string.

You may want to move this to another part of the forum because it is in the wrong section.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Last edited by NougatOfficial at Jan 24, 2015,
your fretting hand will get stronger with time and then it will be easier to keep your fingers arched in a way where you aren't muting the open strings. just takes a lot of playing time but you'll see results as long as you keep it up

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Start with easy chords A...d...E..e minor a minor and work your way up to g chord then c chord.
Justin guitar has great lessons and great starter songs he is my teacher lol
Also do google to find chords it will show u pictures on how to do chords
Last edited by Tazz3 at Jan 24, 2015,
+1 for Justinguitar. Another newbie here and his website and videos have been very helpful.
I wrote this a second ago for another thread, I guess it's relevant here too:
See original thread: www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1668136
If you play this chord at the 8th fret you have C Major.

When barring chords close to the nut (okay lets use F Major), remember that the notes on the A, D and G strings are being fretted by your other 3 fingers. So as you lay your index finger across those 3 strings, take advantage of that fact, so you can relax the (index finger) pressure off those 3 strings a little.

With practice you'll find this comes naturally and most of the pressure will be isolated to the Thick E String (using the top of your index finger) and the 2 thinnest strings (for me it's just above my index finger's 2nd knuckle). In essence you are slightly curving your index finger to release the pressure from the A, D and G strings (as previously mentioned).

BIG TIP: Remember, the closer to the fret wires that you can hold the strings required for each chord, the easier (less finger pressure needed) and clearer sounding the chords will be.

weak
e ||1--|---|---|-
B ||1--|---|---|-
G ||---|2--|---|-
D ||---|---|3--|-
A ||---|---|3--|-
E ||1--|---|---|-

Okay!
e ||-1-|---|---|-
B ||-1-|---|---|-
G ||---|-2-|---|-
D ||---|---|-3-|-
A ||---|---|-3-|-
E ||-1-|---|---|-

BETTER!!
e ||--1|---|---|-
B ||--1|---|---|-
G ||---|--2|---|-
D ||---|---|--3|-
A ||---|---|--3|-
E ||--1|---|---|-
Hope it helps!
... and I just said this in the same thread, which is just as applicable!:

Frequently the problem is down to poor thumb position. Your thumb should be somewhere between the first two fingers, not pointing sideways way up where the nut is.