Hello, guys! I don't know if I've chosen the right forum section for this... anyway...

My frets became very flat after 6 years of playing. So I decided to take my guitar to our local guitar shop to polish the frets. But after that was done, I noticed during recording with my DI interface that the level of input is now 1.5-2 times quieter than it was before the procedure.

How can this be related with polishing the guitar? Or they could have done something to my guitar while doing the procedure? I mean, who's to blame?

My guitar is Cort EVL-Z4.

Thanx for any advice!
that is an issue with the electronics not the frets
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ Yes, the tech may have loosened or moved a wire while doing the fretwork.

That or maybe lowered the pickups. If I'm levelling frets, I like to lower then tape over the pickups to stop the file hitting them and filings getting into the pickups.
Quote by glormond
Hello, guys! I don't know if I've chosen the right forum section for this... anyway...

My frets became very flat after 6 years of playing. So I decided to take my guitar to our local guitar shop to polish the frets. But after that was done, I noticed during recording with my DI interface that the level of input is now 1.5-2 times quieter than it was before the procedure.

How can this be related with polishing the guitar? Or they could have done something to my guitar while doing the procedure? I mean, who's to blame?

My guitar is Cort EVL-Z4.

Thanx for any advice!

I would say absolutely take the guitar back to the guys that worked on it and give them a chance to make it right, before you try doing anything else. This may be time consuming and irritating, but I think it is a good idea. It sounds like a decent guitar. Let them try to figure it out because it probably had something to do with when they did their work.

Raising the pickups will probably bring the output right up again. How close to the strings are the pickups when you press down on the bottom most fret? You have to see how much you "can" raise the pickups. I usually raise the treble string side of the pickup up a little more than the bass side, noticeably more. Experiment with adjusting them to get the best sound "to your ear".
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
That or maybe lowered the pickups. If I'm levelling frets, I like to lower then tape over the pickups to stop the file hitting them and filings getting into the pickups.

I agree, the first diagnostic check should be pickup height, the tech may have lowered and forgot to raise them afterword!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by Evilnine
I agree, the first diagnostic check should be pickup height, the tech may have lowered and forgot to raise them afterword!

I guess that was it! Now I remember my bridge pick-up was pretty close up to the strings before. So I just raised it up and the sound improved much.