So Ive been playing on and off for 11 years and my line 6 single cab is not cutting it. I play a lot of metal/core music and Im looking for something that I can get a pretty decent tone out of, but i want some versatility as well, if say i wanted to play softer rock or even indie or something out of it. I dont need good clean tones or any built in effects, my room mate has a fender 69 reverb im buying off him for cleans and any effects i need i can get through a pedal.

Ive read plenty of threads saying to try and score a used 5150 or mesa something, but it seems most people are looking for really high gain, almost more of a thrashy tone when going that route. I want something that would be ideal for a 7 string, but would really pull through if i threw in a bar chord or something without totally diluting it in distortion. I also want to buy new and keep it for a while

heres a short list of requirements, i dont think im asking for the moon or anything here so this shouldnt be too hard.
combo amp (not looking for a stack, i have no room)
tubes
versatility
good distortion without help from pedals
reliability is a must
good for playing live, possibly without a mic's help
good for downtuning/ 7 string playing, but not lacking in mids
must be currently in production, like i said im not buying used
less than 1000 us

any suggestions? thanks a lot. sorry i know a lot of people make threads like this, im just looking for something slightly out of the ordinary
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Any of the Mesas will do a good job. Especially those with multiple channels. Mesas are known for good high gain sound, but they can also achieve a good clean sound. They make combo amps starting around 20 watts I think.

Peavey Classic 50 is a great amp. Good cleans, I'm not sure but I think it has a good distortion channel too. It's the amp Van Wilks is using here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkFl11TorKw

The 5150 can also do a good job of cleans, even though most people like it for the high gain channels. If I remember correctly it's a 3 channel amp, and the clean channel does quite well. I think it's available as a combo too.

Fender...Fender invented cleans, I've never seen one that didn't work well with pedals. I prefer pedals to any high gain channel I've ever played except a friend's Mesa I tinkered around with a while back. Never used it onstage, but he uses 3 Mesa amps. A 20 watter, a combo and a half stack. Good cleans with all of them.

I don't know much about other amps, I've seen some of the pros using Matchless, Bogner, Fender, Marshall and Music Man, every one of them seems to be able to get a good clean sound. My pick is a good Fender, the Super Reverb I'm playing now is my all time favorite amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Peavey Classic 50 is a great amp. Good cleans, I'm not sure but I think it has a good distortion channel too.
Defnitely not for metalcore.
Quote by Paleo Pete
Fender...Fender invented cleans, I've never seen one that didn't work well with pedals.
Fender didn't really invented anything even though they innovated guitar amps a lot.

Also the twin I tried I really didn't like, though to each his own.
Quote by Paleo Pete
I don't know much about other amps, I've seen some of the pros using Matchless, Bogner, Fender, Marshall and Music Man, every one of them seems to be able to get a good clean sound. My pick is a good Fender, the Super Reverb I'm playing now is my all time favorite amp.
TS wrote he has his cleans covered and he wants a good amp for metalcore.

TS get a 6505+ combo already and swap the speaker(s) with v30's.
Then get a tube screamer type pedal, say a bad monkey, and there you have THE metalcore sound.

And no amp is good for playing un-mic'd, unless you're playing for max 30 people or so.
It's not a matter of volume, it's a matter of sounds balance and dispertion patterns.
You may play with a 5w amp through a 4x12" if you didn't care for cleans if it was for the volume, though in such a situation most of the audience won't hear any good sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.