Anyone recommend some good strings to play in D tuning? I forget what the strings i have on here now are, but everytime i bend they end up hitting other strings and making them sound off. It's annoying as ****. Any tips? thanks
You need to know what strings you're using now, then go one gauge heavier. I normally play .009 strings, I use .010 with no trouble on the guitar I tune down to D. (1966 Harmony Bobkat)

I bend strings all the time until I'm hitting another string, sometimes two. If it's affecting the sound of the string you're bending, you're doing something wrong.Occasionally I'll accidentally fret both and get two notes, but usually I end up underneath the other string or muting it. If your action is really low you might try raising it a little, I Play pretty high action because I also play slide and never have any trouble unless I play on someone's guitar with really low action. If you want to keep the low action, I'm not sure how to tell you how to get around fretting two notes...I've never had to deal with it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
You need to know what strings you're using now, then go one gauge heavier. I normally play .009 strings, I use .010 with no trouble on the guitar I tune down to D. (1966 Harmony Bobkat)

I bend strings all the time until I'm hitting another string, sometimes two. If it's affecting the sound of the string you're bending, you're doing something wrong.Occasionally I'll accidentally fret both and get two notes, but usually I end up underneath the other string or muting it. If your action is really low you might try raising it a little, I Play pretty high action because I also play slide and never have any trouble unless I play on someone's guitar with really low action. If you want to keep the low action, I'm not sure how to tell you how to get around fretting two notes...I've never had to deal with it.

why would i get a heavier gauge if my strings are so tight that when i bend and hit a string is bounces back with the string i was bending. so that means they are tight and my other strings dont have room to bend right? im bending correctly, just my strings are messed up.
It taps the other strings that are hitting it. So those other strings sound out. is that making sense?
That's an issue with your bending technique and not the strings.

String tension has nothing to do with how strings ring out if they are tapped. When you bend, strings shouldn't come in contact with other strings. In fact, heavier stings would make it harder to bend into other strings because the tension would increase and it would become painful to bend that far.

That being said, when you say D tuning is that Drop D, Open D or D standard? For the first two I'd use 10-52s and for D standard I'd say 11-56s.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
That's an issue with your bending technique and not the strings.

String tension has nothing to do with how strings ring out if they are tapped. When you bend, strings shouldn't come in contact with other strings. In fact, heavier stings would make it harder to bend into other strings because the tension would increase and it would become painful to bend that far.

That being said, when you say D tuning is that Drop D, Open D or D standard? For the first two I'd use 10-52s and for D standard I'd say 11-56s.

How am i not bending correctly? I've been playing guitar long enough to know how to bend and i've never had this problem before until i got my guitar setup at guitar center a few months back. I'm telling you when i bend the strings that bend into start ringing out openly as i pull back my bend. There's no way around that. d standard.
What kind of guitar is it? Does it have a tremolo?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
What kind of guitar is it? Does it have a tremolo?

Schecter omen series 6 or whatever the piece of shit is called. Something along those lines. But when i bend say the high E string, once my bend hits the G or D string it will sound one of those strings off. It's really annoying, because i can't bend up two frets or do double bends. Whatever they are called. I think it's because the strings are too tight because the tension is causing them to not go well with the bend. I dont know its just really frustrating because i've had so many issues with this guitar.

When i tune down to c standard tuning i dont get this problem though, i am able to bend and the other strings bend with the string im bending. there is no extra vibration because it is smooth and is easy.
Last edited by 75mm at Jan 24, 2015,
Get shot of the guitar.it just doesn't work for you.sometimes it happens certain models or body types just don't suit/work for the person using it.
Do you know what gauges are on the guitar now? If you decreased your tuning (tension) and the problem went away, then going down a gauge in your current tuning should basically achieve the same results.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
10-46 is usually used for that. But if you want a bit more chunk I suggest 10-52.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by 75mm
Schecter omen series 6 or whatever the piece of shit is called. Something along those lines. But when i bend say the high E string, once my bend hits the G or D
string it will sound one of those strings off.

This isn't the guitars fault. You need to mute those strings, with both your picking and fretting hand. You should also be moving your finger as perpendicular to the fretboard as possible, so that your finger pushes the other strings out of the way without clipping underneath/over.

As for gauges, 10-52.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 24, 2015,
Quote by 75mm
Schecter omen series 6 or whatever the piece of shit is called. Something along those lines. But when i bend say the high E string, once my bend hits the G or D string it will sound one of those strings off. It's really annoying, because i can't bend up two frets or do double bends. Whatever they are called. I think it's because the strings are too tight because the tension is causing them to not go well with the bend. I dont know its just really frustrating because i've had so many issues with this guitar.

When i tune down to c standard tuning i dont get this problem though, i am able to bend and the other strings bend with the string im bending. there is no extra vibration because it is smooth and is easy.

Yeah, like others have said, that's not the strings' fault. You need to improve your bending technique, so that you mute the other strings you run into. It's easier with less string tension, yes, but no amount of string tension should make it impossible. As long as you can bend the string far enough to hit another one, you should be able to mute the other one you hit.
Don't blame your gear for bad technique. Some people use 11s in standard, others use 11s in C# standard. It's all about preference.

Maybe when they set up your guitar, they changed the action or something. Maybe that set up is not the right set up for you. This is why you should learn to set up your own guitars because only you know what kind of set up will work for you. So fix your technique, because like it or not, it is causing the problem.

Strings don't just automatically start ringing. If they do, you have a bad muting technique.

As I said, to me it seems like you are just not used to the way your guitar feels because the guys at Guitar Center set it up differently. Either set it up to your liking or learn to play with the current set up. It may also be that you aren't used to the strings you have in your guitar. Maybe they are too heavy for you. But you can't really figure it out, unless you know what string gauge you are using.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115