I'm having a little difficulty to get the bass tracks to "gel" with the guitars, the bass simply sounds too "separated" from the guitar tracks no matter what I do.

https://m.soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/prog-in-f-6

This is the track in question. Any idea how I can get the bass to meld with the guitars better?
First: that's a cool riff.

I don't know what you mean by "gel," but it sounds to me that your bass is really muddy. Adjust the volume (down). If you cranked up the EQ on the bass channel to boost the low end, bring that a little closer to normal. Also, instead of cranking the part of the EQ you want to boost, try lowering the other parts instead.

One of the things that might help is compressing the bass channel. A limiter might help too. But I would start with volume and EQ to get rid of the mud.
^^^Correct. The bass is distinct but the notes seem to be missing definition. Experiment with cutting the volume and low frequencies. If you like the low end tones, try cutting mids out a bit, or if you're trying to make the bass more prominent and dynamic, maybe try adding more mid to the bass instead.
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
Quote by Yenko38
First: that's a cool riff.

I don't know what you mean by "gel," but it sounds to me that your bass is really muddy. Adjust the volume (down). If you cranked up the EQ on the bass channel to boost the low end, bring that a little closer to normal. Also, instead of cranking the part of the EQ you want to boost, try lowering the other parts instead.

One of the things that might help is compressing the bass channel. A limiter might help too. But I would start with volume and EQ to get rid of the mud.

Glad you liked it

What I had in mind was the bass adding some sag to the palm mutes, a bit of force, think Nevermore and you get the idea.

Kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHvveTdhEQ

I've used a multi band comp to compress between 20 and 40hz, any suggestions as to how I can use it more effectively? Song's in F# standard, bass an octave below the guitars.

Quote by thief_of_fire
^^^Correct. The bass is distinct but the notes seem to be missing definition. Experiment with cutting the volume and low frequencies. If you like the low end tones, try cutting mids out a bit, or if you're trying to make the bass more prominent and dynamic, maybe try adding more mid to the bass instead.

Well, on the bass amp sim, i've boosted bass and mids and cut most of the treble. I'm looking for a bass tone that adds rumble, fills up the tone, but isn't prominent on it's own. The video I linked above is almost exactly the kind of tone I am after. Bass wise only, I have no interest in the guitar tone.
You probably have some frequency stacking going on. Not sure what you know about recording but if you have too many frequencies landing in the same spot they begin to almost cancel each other out.

For example a kick drum lives mostly around 50h - with the beater up around 2900ish.. So if your bass guitar starts down near 50 or below you are killing your kick. Better to low cut the bass below 55ish and have it peak up in the 50-100 range (again with the attack living in the high range). Then it should scoop down to make room for the guitar. Same with the guitar - low shelf that sucker and take out all the bass below 125-200ish (leaving room for the kick and bass).

All of this is just to explain that you need sonic spaces for each of your frequencies to sit in. Make sense?

Its all about eq, compression and maybe a bit of overdrive.
I double my bass, so copy on 2nd track.
I use amp Sims (Ampeq or Baseman Amplitube) on one and a compressor with dirt, is analog tube compressor Sim, or overdrive Sim with compression after it, I also eq lows out of the overdriven track, so roll off at 120hz down. Camel phat is one plugin I really like for this.
Then I submix both to a separate bus which I hit with limiter plugin.
Quote by jerrycasemusic
You probably have some frequency stacking going on. Not sure what you know about recording but if you have too many frequencies landing in the same spot they begin to almost cancel each other out.

For example a kick drum lives mostly around 50h - with the beater up around 2900ish.. So if your bass guitar starts down near 50 or below you are killing your kick. Better to low cut the bass below 55ish and have it peak up in the 50-100 range (again with the attack living in the high range). Then it should scoop down to make room for the guitar. Same with the guitar - low shelf that sucker and take out all the bass below 125-200ish (leaving room for the kick and bass).

All of this is just to explain that you need sonic spaces for each of your frequencies to sit in. Make sense?

It does. Thing is, the bass is tuned to f#0, that's 23hz off the top of my head, so I'm really not sure where I should cut and where I should boost to be honest.

Quote by diabolical
Its all about eq, compression and maybe a bit of overdrive.
I double my bass, so copy on 2nd track.
I use amp Sims (Ampeq or Baseman Amplitube) on one and a compressor with dirt, is analog tube compressor Sim, or overdrive Sim with compression after it, I also eq lows out of the overdriven track, so roll off at 120hz down. Camel phat is one plugin I really like for this.
Then I submix both to a separate bus which I hit with limiter plugin.

What settings do you use on Ampeg? I have a copy, would love some suggestions on how to eq.
Have you looked at each instrument solo'd with a frequency analyzer? Search the net for some good free plug-in if you don't have one. What I would do is go track by track with a piece of paper and I would write down where the major spikes are in each instrument. And then check to see if there is any major overlap. And if so start pushing things into their own Sonic space. Again brother I have no idea your experience in this area so I need no disrespect if you've already tried these things- food for thought.

It's also a good idea to run that tune you like and look at it on the analyzer. It may help,you see where everything lives.

Most sounds below 40 hz. are just rumble that few can hear and few speakers can reproduce. Those low frequencies below 60 hz. also suck a lot of power from your audio system. I agree with the posts saying to shelve other instruments like guitar, keys and vocals with a filter to remove anything less than 40-50 hz. This will leave a nice space for kick and bass. While tones lower than 40 can be reproduced they don't add much to the fundamental sounds of the bass which is what we really hear and most systems will struggle trying to reproduce it. This article is pretty good and covers it fairly well.
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/123.html
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 3, 2015,
GS LEAD 5 maybe post some raw tracks for us...

I mix the Ampeg with the rest so I don't think it would apply in your case, but if you want I can possibly mix something for you and see how you like it, then we can discuss eq, technique, etc.