hey guys, i am looking for a heavy metal guitar. since i am a big fan of explorers, i looked on the web and found 2 pretty cool guitars : an epiphone explorer 1984 and a gibson blackout. i know the epiphone got emgs and the gibson dirty fingers. is there somebody out there that can help me with the differences between thoses pickups. since theres 1000$ between thoses 2 guitars, i am looking for advices and help! thanks!
Well the EMG's are active pickups and the dirty fingers are passive. I think in this case the emgs have more output than the dirty fingers. People also say they sound sterile or whatever, but i like them just fine. The dirty fingers are suposed to have better cleans and a more chuncky distortion, but im just going on from random stuff i read online. If you dont have a decent amp, you wont really be able to tell the difference.

Anyway, the difference in price is not because of the pickups, they seem to be in the same price range anyway. Its because the gibson has better quality wood, and generaly better craftmanship and build quality, better hardware, electronics... You also pay for the brand name. But even with that, the Gibson would be the better guitar of the two. If you can affort the blackout, go for it. Just make sure to try it out first. I have played a few epiphone explorers, and even owned one for a while, and none of them seemed like good guitars to me, but that might just be my prefrences.

You might also want to look at other explorer style guitars, for example the EX series from ESP or the Kelly from jackson. They are not exact replicas, but you might even like them better.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.