Hi there,

Looking for some opinions regarding this amp. Is it worth to get? The big turn off is the 8 inch speaker...

Anyway this guy wants my AVTX-20 Marshall (AVTX are made in england) for his Champ XD. Yay or nay? I kinda like the AVTX being "more metal" than my Blues Deluxe. It gives me another palet. Also it's portable and 10'.

Edit: I also like the AVTX20 because it is loud enough for practice with a band. I'm afraid the little 5watter will have a hard time keeping up and not being too crunchy.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jan 24, 2015,
IMO keep it. You said you like the AVT being "Metal" and without an overdrive i don't think the Superchamp will be capable. Plus the AVT has a bigger speaker.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 25, 2015,
I wouldn't buy an amp with an 8" speaker.

Not being 8' I would do it right away. But yeah...

You said you like the AVT being "Metal"

On the other hand, it's not the best metal amp... and I could use a "bedroom" amp.

I'll try it later this week. Just wanted some opinions beforehand. Thanks both!
Quote by Taz9
Not being 8' I would do it right away. But yeah...

On the other hand, it's not the best metal amp... and I could use a "bedroom" amp.

I'll try it later this week. Just wanted some opinions beforehand. Thanks both!

The AVT might not be the best metal amp, but it's certainly better than that VibroChamp.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I think it sounds really good with plenty of tones. It does the fender ones particularly well obviously. Doesnt take pedals too well in my opinion and for 5 watts it keeps up with my band for pretty good (use it only for rehearsal). If you want the versatility and the good sounds, its not a bad choice but the superchamp is probably the way to go despite the extra cost
Vibro Champ XD- Excellent bedroom practice amp for everything but Metal. Does not take pedals well and not enough juice to gig IMO. The 8" is perfect for BR practice or recording.

Super Champ XD- Excellent grab & go amp for band practice and some gig capability for anything but Metal. It does take pedals well on the clean channel. Enough tones in there so you may not need to even bring a pedal board though. I love this little thing and gigged with it last Saturday at a race track blues jam. Many compliments on the guitar tone that night.

If you need convincing Metal shred tone, look at Peavey Vypyr instead.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 27, 2015,
Doesnt take pedals too well in my opinion and for 5 watts it keeps up with my band for pretty good

Good to know thanks!

If you need convincing Metal shred tone, look at Peavey Vypyr instead.

Should I mention that I sold my vypyr and then bought this AVTX with the money? The vypyr has better metal tones I agree. I prefer the AVTX rock overdrivy tones however so I swapped.
I have a Vibro Champ XD, it's actually a pretty cool little amp. Not sure how anyone would use it with a band, it's not very loud...

I use it mostly as a practice amp and it has a surprisingly wide amount of tones for that. It can actually get pretty heavy and the built in effects are pretty cool for just setting up a quick tone; I wish there were more options to blend certain effects, but it's a cheap 5w amp, what do you expect?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, I saw that there are no "blend" knob or tap tempo whatsoever.

MatrixClaw can you get a nice breakup sound if you push the clean?
Quote by Taz9

Turning the gain up it does a pretty convincing Fender Bassman OD tone, Vox AC30 OD, and Plexi OD. The heavier stuff like MkV and SLO voices didn't work for me though. It is a simple cheap amp for bedroom or recording that happens to sound pretty sweet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Taz9

Sure, I suppose. Not as good as the 60's Fender Champ I had, but for the price, not bad
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like the Fender Super Champ XD/2 better, with an Eminence "Ragin' Cajun" speaker in it. I have one and it is an awesome amp.

You will find a much greater selection of replacement/upgrade speaker for the XD/2 as well.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have a Vibro Champ XD, it's actually a pretty cool little amp. Not sure how anyone would use it with a band, it's not very loud...

I use it mostly as a practice amp and it has a surprisingly wide amount of tones for that. It can actually get pretty heavy and the built in effects are pretty cool for just setting up a quick tone; I wish there were more options to blend certain effects, but it's a cheap 5w amp, what do you expect?

The SCXD is actually a 15 (or possibly 20) watt amp.

When you put in an Eminence "Ragin' Cajun" super sensitive speaker the amp is about twice as loud as stock. You get a gain of about 4dB with the "Ragin' Cajun" compared to the cheap stock speaker.

Ask someone that has done this speaker swap. Experience teaches us things we didn't know. Most will agree that the RC gives it a lot more loudness. I have jammed with a loud drummer and had him waving me down.

I dig Voice 8. I think it may be the Hot Rod Deluxe voice, but I'm not sure.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Ok great thanks all! Very usefull information as always. NAD
Quote by DuffB

I dig Voice 8. I think it may be the Hot Rod Deluxe voice, but I'm not sure.

It's 15w just like the Blues Jr. Voice 8 on mine is Plexi.

Quote by DuffB

Whoops, missed the SCXD part before that

Still not sure I'd want to gig with a 15w amp. My 30w Bogner is probably as low as I'd go, anything smaller has a hard time getting over a loud drummer, but if it works for your playing styles, go for it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's 15w just like the Blues Jr. Voice 8 on mine is Plexi.

Evidently, as stated elsewhere, when some dudes actually put the amp on their testing equipment that it scoped out at closer to twenty watts than fifteen. It could have been after a tube change, but evidently there is some variance in the actual output of an amp and the advertised wattage value assigned to the amp in the model number and promotional material.

I have some bigger amps for when I want to be able to get loud enough to eliminate the worry of a drummer telling me to, "Get a real amp!". I have a Marshall DSL100H head and an Avatar vintage style two by twelve cab loaded with twin Eminence "Swamp Thang" speakers. These speakers are very sensitive and make the Marshall even louder than normal.

I also have a lacquered tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with a Jensen alnico speaker - P12n.

I have a loud Deluxe Reverb RI, a loud AC15c1, and a combo Peavey 6505Plus that is a$$ kicking loud and super high gain. I also have some more amps like my Crate two twelve V32 cream/gold Palomino. So I have powerful amps, but the SCXD, the way mine is set up, is louder than you might think and very portable. I wouldn't bring it to a gig where I was trying to impress a bevy of babes though. You need to have some ostentatious stuff in order to do that, unless you can float thru on your own merit - in which case you could have a cheap junk guitar and an unplugged amp. Ha ha. But is this the truth?
Yep, tube amps when pushed often read more peak watts than their rated output and my stock SCXD is just right for the blues jam or smaller gigs. I wouldn't use it to cover Van Halen or Metallica but it does a nice job on Gilmour, SRV, Petty, Clapton, Santana stuff. I had thought about adding the Rajin Cajun for more output but so far it's loud enough for my uses. When I need more loud I bring the Mesa or Super Reverb.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, tube amps when pushed often read more peak watts than their rated output and my stock SCXD is just right for the blues jam or smaller gigs. I wouldn't use it to cover Van Halen or Metallica but it does a nice job on Gilmour, SRV, Petty, Clapton, Santana stuff. I had thought about adding the Rajin Cajun for more output but so far it's loud enough for my uses. When I need more loud I bring the Mesa or Super Reverb.

True. Well voice 8 on mine would be the same as yours. Plexi makes sense. I like that voice a lot, it is loud, very full, and has a natural overdriven sound without turning up the gain. I dig it a lot. I like some of the other voices and the more I play it the more I like additional voices. The amp needs a lot of adjusting to get the most out of each voice. It is a very cool amp.
One of the things I like best about the SCXD is that it has just enough good OD, tonal variety and effects that I don't need to bring my pedalboard. Grab the amp and my Tele and I am ready to go. It will not replace my Mesa but is a nice compliment when I want to travel light but still bring an amp with some balls.

One of the things I like best about the SCXD is that it has just enough good OD, tonal variety and effects that I don't need to bring my pedalboard. Grab the amp and my Tele and I am ready to go. It will not replace my Mesa but is a nice compliment when I want to travel light but still bring an amp with some balls.

I don't know how the VC compare to the SC, but turns out this amp is quite nice. Its transportability and versatility is great for sure.

Verdict if it's of interest for anyone:
Metal tone 2/10
British OD - 6/10
American od 7/10
Clean - 8/10

The 8' speaker dosen't feel that bad.

The AVTX had good lead tones thought. The vypyr would win metal tones over all three.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jan 29, 2015,