So who is this guy? Some may say he's the devil. Some may say he's one of the most talented composers ever. Others may admire while still hating him.

Well if you turn on the radio it'll probably take about 30 minutes to hear one of his songs. He's written or co-written - Bang bang, problem, break free, love me harder, shake it off, blank space, dark horse, this is how we do and roar. If you ever listen to the backstreet boys, n'sync or britney spears as kid.. guess what? All the songs were written by him. Since then he's worked with Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguliera, ADam Lambert, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Bon Jovi, Celion Dion, Def Leppard, Pitbull, Enrique Inglesias, James Blunt, Aplocalyptica, Simple Plan, Carrie underwood, Kesha, Jessie J, Nicki Minaj, Usher, Justin Bieber, Will I Am, and Bryan Adams.

At age 42 over his 15 year career, he is second to only Paul McCartney and John Lennon for #1 songs written with 19, along with 59 and 51 top 10 hits in the UK and US respectively.

Number One Singles

"...Baby One More Time"
"It's Gonna Be Me"
"I Kissed a Girl"
"So What"
"My Life Would Suck Without You"
"3"
"Raise Your Glass"
"California Gurls"
"Teenage Dream"
"Hold It Against Me"
"E.T."
"Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
"Part Of Me"
"We Are Never Ever getting back together"
"One More Night"
"Roar"
"Dark Horse"
"Shake It Off"
"Blank Space"

Other Top 10 Hits

"Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (#2)
"Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" (#4)
"As Long as You Love Me" (#4)
"Do You Know (What It Takes)" (#7)
"Show Me Love" (#7)
"I Want It That Way" (#6)
"Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" (#6)
"(You Drive Me) Crazy" (#10)
"That's The Way It Is" (#6)
"Shape Of My Heart" (#9)
"Oops!... I Did It Again" (#9)
"Since U Been Gone" (#2)
"Behind These Hazel Eyes" (#6)
"Who Knew" (#9)
"U + Ur Hand" (#9)
"Hot n Cold" (#3)
"Whataya Want from Me" (#10)
"Blow" (#7)
"Dynamite" (#2)
"DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love" (#4)
"****in' Perfect" (#2)
"Loser Like Me" (#6)
"Till the World Ends" (#3)
"I Wanna Go" (#7)
"The One That Got Away" (#3)
"Domino" (#6)
"Wide Awake" (#2)
"Scream" (#9)
"I Knew You Were Trouble" (#2)
"Beauty and a Beat" (#5)
"Daylight" (#7)
"Problem" (#2)
"Bang Bang" (#3)
"Break Free" (#4)
"Love Me Harder" (#7)

Before becoming a producer Martin played guitar in a metal band that flopped hard.

So what is your opinion on this guy. Is he a genius or a complete tool? Or just a guy who's figured out the formula for writing pop songs and keeps pumping them out and probably enjoys it?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
sounds pretty brilliant to me. if not for his compositions (plenty of those are great) but for being so crazy successful and getting where he is.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
He looks really depressed. That failed metal band must be on his mind a lot.

I'd hardly call him a genius, but he's found a way to make loads of money by making crappy songs, so he's clever enough.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints

I'd hardly call him a genius, but he's found a way to make loads of money by making crappy songs, so he's clever enough.

>implying backstreets bad
Quote by soundgarden1986
>implying backstreets bad

back
street's
bad
ALL RIGHT!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by JackSaints

All Swedish people look depressed.
Nirvana was originally a Credence Clearwater Revival tribute band and we know that people ended up liking them (be they stupid or not), there's no reason this dude shouldn't write pop songs.
You can't deny the success he has had. If you are a big label, and want a good songwriter for your pop star, he's definitely a top choice. He also produces, and also has the number 2 spot for number 1 productions, behind George Martin, who produced for the Beatles. Basically, only the Beatles surpass him in success. I've actually started to study him a little, both in production style, and songwriting, because of how much success he has had.

One thing I've noticed on a lot of those songs, funnily enough, is that he tends to keep the same progression throughout the whole tune, except for the bridge. It's not like his songs are so complicated, but they are good, the production is good as well, and there are a few things I have been able to pickup from him that he likes to do, some of which I think are also common with other artists.

There are other songwriters that are behind the scenes of lots of popular artists like this, like benny blanco who has worked with Max. He co-wrote/produced Ke$ha's Tik Tok, which I find sounds quite a lot like a max martin tune, as well as a bunch of other stuff.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jan 25, 2015,
He's swedish.

bjorn ulvaeus (abba), Avicii and a few more like Max "ghost writing" for the other half of the hits in the charts.

Love em or hate em, but if you need catchy internationally accepted pop melody, these guys can do it.

For that matter Yngwie or Aeckerfeldt (Opeth) are swedish and also considered relatively one of the most melodic in their respective styles.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 25, 2015,
Sound like a mastermind to me! You can say what you want, that you don't like his music, but this guy is gifted.
Huge respect for him. He knows what he's doing and he does it well. Besides, he writes the side of pop that everybody can actually tolerate.
Max Martin is very, very, very good at what he does.

The songs are not crappy by any means. As far as pop goes, they are impeccably well crafted tunes. Judge the music on the merits of its own genre.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by LovroMirnik
i sense some disrespect for his work in your statement, but on the other hand i dont see you producing anything, be it songwise or moneywise that any of us will be reading about in the future.

It doesn't take a world famous chef to tell a world famous chef that his food tastes bad.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Paul Franklin has a more impressive resume for sure.

Also all of those songs you listed are straight up junk.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by LovroMirnik
the problem is that his food surely does not taste bad, otherwise he would not be a world famous chef

McDonalds food doesn't taste bad, but they sell more food every day than every celebrity chef combined does in a year.

Also, to quote Tim Allen from Galaxy Quest:

It doesn't take a great actor to recognise a bad one.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by LovroMirnik
i sense some disrespect for his work in your statement, but on the other hand i dont see you producing anything, be it songwise or moneywise that any of us will be reading about in the future.

If he isn't entitled to have a negative opinion on the matter because he isn't going to be stupid successful for churning out lousy pop music, then you aren't entitled to have an opinion on the matter either because you aren't going to be stupid successful churning out lousy pop music either.

Checkmate, nerd.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
writing pop music is a sin
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Alice_Swift_29
Hes done loaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaads of songs with taylor. Hes actually best friends with her

I get the impression you're a fairly big fan of the Swizzle?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
McDonalds food doesn't taste bad, but they sell more food every day than every celebrity chef combined does in a year.

Also, to quote Tim Allen from Galaxy Quest:

It doesn't take a great actor to recognise a bad one.

and producers have the goal, like mcd's, of selling a product. their success is based on the amount sold not the quality. although, which unlike most [ie. fast] food, the definition of musical quality is up for debate. so based on the circumstances he was hired, he has met and exceeded all expectation. he wasnt hired to impress you or other music nerds. with the talent he has composing, im sure he could rip an amazing guitar solo or play a soulful peice that would impress the group of musicians that dont like him, but thats not what he was hired for. and you and the people who dislike him would do the same, or be completely unsuccessful. and if you wouldn't for some bs reason like integrity you're even more idiotic because he has a net worth of $250,000,000
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Good for him....

Although, I keep pretty well up with modern pop music, and I don't recall half those songs being played on the radio in the last few years......

Longevity is not key, it would seem
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by whywefight
I get the impression you're a fairly big fan of the Swizzle?

YAAAS DEFINETLY
I want to eat Taylor Swift.
Quote by Wiegenlied
and producers have the goal, like mcd's, of selling a product. their success is based on the amount sold not the quality. although, which unlike most [ie. fast] food, the definition of musical quality is up for debate. so based on the circumstances he was hired, he has met and exceeded all expectation. he wasnt hired to impress you or other music nerds. with the talent he has composing, im sure he could rip an amazing guitar solo or play a soulful peice that would impress the group of musicians that dont like him, but thats not what he was hired for. and you and the people who dislike him would do the same, or be completely unsuccessful. and if you wouldn't for some bs reason like integrity you're even more idiotic because he has a net worth of $250,000,000

But noone's ever offered to pay me to do something badly.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Wiegenlied

I don't think he is some musical genius, that purposefully makes poor music so that lesser mortals can appreciate it. He is the measuring stick. I think that's a big feature of his ability. I think he is an incredibly talented musician/songwriter, and the music he makes is the music incredibly talented songwriters make. Obviously there are many different genres and styles, and lots of talented songwriters for all of them, but the style of music he writes lends itself well to reaching a wide variety of people listening in a wide variety of situations.

It can be suitable for clubs or on the radio, for people of all ages also. The content is far reaching as well, but I think the artists he writes for, must have a lot of input as to the content, topic-wise. He is more the production/putting those ideas to melodies etcetera kind of guy.

He often writes/produces with teams of people 3-5 kind of thing if I recall.

But I don't think it is possible to make good music without thinking it is good for yourself, and really feeling it for yourself. That's a key component.

That would be like saying one of the world's greatest chefs are making food they don't like at all.

The mcdonald's analogy is not quite right. Mcdonald's is wide reaching because it is cheap, it is cheap to produce. That hurts the quality of the food. But the chefs still manage to make something everyone likes.

The music Max Martin makes, basically spares no expense. So, the analogy of food would be if every meal was sold for the same price, and given out for free sometimes if you listen to advertising and whatnot, the chef that makes meals most enjoyed worldwide.

That would be a great chef. Idk why people think that lots of people liking something makes it worse.

Max Martin is basically the best at what he does. I don't think it's because he purposefully holds back not to be too advanced for average people. It's just he writes like that, that's what he likes, and lots of people agree.

But he is no Oscar Peterson, or Joe Pass, or even Michael Jackson. He is not a dancer or a singer, or Andy Mckee, or Van Halen, or Victor Wooten, or Carter Beauford, or Mos Def, or Ingrid Michaelson, or Alicia Keys.

He writes pop songs, and produces them, and is good at it. Other musicians are different with different strengths, that require different skills, and different knowledge and training.

I'm sure he can carry a tune on a few instruments also, but some instrumentalists are on a really high level, that takes lots of work to get there. I don't mean lots of work for theory necessarily either, although that is also true, with some genres more than others, but physically.

When you look at Guthrie Govan, that's some incredible shit. Look at how many techniques he knows, and how skilled he is with his pinky, and all the knowledge of theory and how it works, plus his gift for phrasing. But that is not "better" it's just different. It's a different experience to listen to also. And yes, fewer people like that. I don't think that's because of theory though.

Me personally, I like both. But it's not all the time that I want to listen to soloing, I like simple music as well.
Quote by theogonia777
I want to eat Taylor Swift.

What do u mean when you want to eat taylor swift?
I don't listen to a single band or artist he worked with and out of the few songs by him I know, there isn't one I like enough to ever actively seek it out. With that being said, he obviously has a talent for making catchy songs that young people love while I can't sing, play or write for shit so all the power to him I guess.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo