Hi guys girls
Just got an engl e530 preamp and like most metalheads i want to switch between hi gain lead channel (for full throttle rhythm) and lo gain clean channel (for lovely clean with no dirt at all).
However looking at the manual online it seems to me that I can't??? Seems I can select either hi/lo gain OR clean/lead channel depending on whether I use a mono or stereo jack in the appropriate input. The other footswitch input is to either activate the contour or preamp defeat functions.
I've tried setting the channels so I stick to either lo or high gain (so I could just choose to channel select) but the lead channel simply doesn't sound as fat and chunky on lo gain and the clean channel always seems to have a bit of dirt if using hi gain so this doesn't seem to be an option.
At the moment I'm simply pressing the 2 function buttons on the amp simultanously with my fingers but it's not ideal for gigs.
I'm hoping this is just me mis-reading things and being a bit thick but if not this seems a bit naff for a high quality preamp?
Your wisdom as always is appreciated!
Im pretty sure the e530 uses the non-midi foot controllers (though both connect via trs cables). Check out the manual for what they suggest. I've also seen some switch doctor pedals on eBay that are supposed to work.

I've been eyeballing one of these. How is the tone? What power amp and speakers are you running with it?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Yes you're correct about it uses non midi footswitches, the official pedal is a 2 button z4 but I did find an australian company who make a replacement 2 button f/s for a lot less. However I don't think it's the footswitch which is the problem here but the connections on the amp itself. I assumed button 1 on the footswitch would be to change channel (which it will do) but i assumed the other button would be to change between hi and lo gain, in other words by stomping on both buttons simultaneously I could change between full throttle high gain lead and low gain clean but this doesn't seem to be possible?

As for the preamp itself well....
I'm a die hard peavey fan and compared this with both a 5150 II and a Rockmaster preamp. I love peavey's because they sound bright, with an edge and seem to smash everything else like a hammer, they'll cut through any mix. However our jaws hit the floor when we tried this out, couldn't believe it could make those 2 sound dull and muddy in comparison. Had both mid eqs almost on full (hence the unbelievable sonic punch) but amazingly it didn't sound middy, still metal but very bright and crisp but with nice bit of bass swell. And this is going through a Peavey CS200X ss power amp, what on earth it could sound like through a tube power amp with a seperate prescence control is beyond me???
Haven't tried any DI recording using the cab simulated outputs yet so can't tell you anything there?
I think you should be able to do that with a 2-button footswitch but you'd probably have to kick both footswitches at once (I have no experience with the engl rack gear but that's how the heads would work).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I reread this and did some digging - second from the bottom post on the link http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/431756-can-i-do-engl-e530.html

You basically have to move the wire in the footswitch from the second switch to a single switch so pressing the one switch changes both simultaneously.

There are also MIDI controller options if you need the extra flexibility.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
FOOTSWITCH: CLEAN/LEAD; GAIN LO/HI 1/4" stereo jack for connecting a dual footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-11) or a MIDI- switching system (e.g. ENGL Z-11). The following functions can be executed: 1.Channel switching Clean - Lead (mono terminal) 2.Gain Lo - Hi (stereo terminal)

If I'm reading this right, the easiest would just get a two button footswitch and hitting both buttons at once. Or you could do the rewiring thing.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
This is the problem, the 2 button footswitch doesn't work like that (like you and I think it should!!) You've got the relevant part of the manual there my friend however....
The rear of the preamp has 2 jack inputs for the footswitch. Input 1 is for selecting EITHER hi and lo gain OR changing channel between lead and clean depending on whether you use a mono cable or a stereo cable (at least thats how I read/interpret it?)You have to choose!!!
Input 2 if for switching on/off the contour function OR the preamp defeat function (again depending on using mono or stereo cable).
I've no idea whether you can re-wire the original Z4 footswitch to do the job right but I'm no electronics expert and I've no intention of paying £80 for one to accidentally bugger it up to sort a problem that really shouldn't be there in the first place! And as for paying for an expensive midi footswitch just to properly change channel you can .... off!
Think I'll have to contact Engl direct and see if they can clarify....?
I interpret it as you can use a 2 button footswitch with a stereo cable to select the channel and low/high gain or a 1 button footswitch with a mono cable to select the channel only.

From what I can tell the Z-4 is just a generic 2 button footswitch with a stereo cable. Same setup as my Peavey 5150 and Randall RG.

I'd be curious to see what Engl will tell you other than to buy their expensive midi switcher and controller.

You could also rig up a piece of metal or wood that presses both buttons at the same time.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Whilst thats not the way I interpret it I'm hoping that I'm wrong and what you suggest is correct, that would be the logical answer, trouble is unless ENGL (or anyone else???) get back to me with a definative answer I don't know if I'm willing to shell out extra pennies for a footswitch (official Z4 or otherwise) that may or may not be useful to me?
I'll post any replies I get from ENGL when they come?
Just out of curiosity I'd love to try your 'generic 2 button footswitch' theory by trying a valveking/6505/5150 f/s just to see what (if anything) happens?!
Last edited by chrislanie at Jan 27, 2015,
From what I'm finding the Z-4 is just a generic 2 button footswitch.

Check out http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963226/posts/2040332-help-engl-z-4-footswitch

Here's something to try:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-28/1620525-

Basically this above post is connecting the TRS on the cable to "different" connections on the E530 side and doing what you want - changing both at the same time.

Everything I find points to the Z-4 being just a normal 2 button footswitch. However the Z-5 is midi based but with TRS cables. . . .

Google Engl Z-4 Switch Schematic and a whole bunch of pictures come up. There's not a logic board in there from what I'm seeing.

Also from the E530 Manual Tip 6 reads:

All functions that can be accessed via footswitch can also be switched via the ENGL MIDI Switcher Z- 11. Simply connect the two 1/4" stereo jacks (22) and (23) to the stereo inputs of the Switcher via two cables equipped with 1/4" stereo plugs. You can control switching functions via the buttons on the Switcher. The respective functions (e, g. Lead, Hi -Gain, Contour active, Defeat off) are saved to the desired MIDI program locations. The ENGL MIDI Footswitch Z-12 is ideal for activating MIDI programs. When used in conjunction with the ENGL MIDI Switcher Z-11, this durable footswitch does not require a separate AC power pack. The requisite power is routed via the MIDI cable.

So I interpret the above to say that Engl will sell you their Midi Switcher (Z-11) (to control the non Midi switching) and their Midi Controller (Z-12) to provide the Midi Signal to the Z-11 to switch multiple switches simultaneously. You could also use any other gear that uses Midi to control "normal" switches at the same time like Behringer, Voodoo Labs, Boss, etc.

It looks like the sleeve is ground/neutral, ring is one switch, the tip is the other. Pretty straight forward.

Here's straight from the E530 manual:

22 FOOTSWITCH:
CLEAN/LEAD; GAIN LO/HI
1/4" stereo jack for connecting a dual footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-11) or a MIDI- switching system (e.g. ENGL Z-11).
The following functions can be executed: 1.Channel switching Clean - Lead
(mono terminal)
2.Gain Lo - Hi (stereo terminal).

23 FOOTSWITCH:
PREAMP DEFEAT; CONTOUR
1/4" stereo jack for connecting a dual footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-11) or a MIDI- switching system (e.g. ENGL Z-11).
The following functions can be executed: 1.Preamp Defeat / Bypass
(mono terminal).
2.Contour switching (stereo terminal).

There are a bunch of typos in their manual (probably from the German translation) but that first Z-11 should be a Z-4 for both entries. You may get better luck with your question by calling out the discrepancy in the manual and ask if you can run a Z-4 or any other 2 button footswitch?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Again, I'm not going to do anything until I've heard back from ENGL but your point is persuasive, I'm slowly being convinced you're right and I'm wrong (which is what I wanted!)
Hi guys, just to let you know-
A- engl never replied back to me (shame on you) and so
B- following your wise advice I took a punt on a cheap generic 2 button footswitch on ebay and it works perfectly!!!
£80 for an official engl z4 or £16 for a cheap generic version that does the same job?
No questions here...
Thanks for the excellent advice as always guys!
^ Glad you got it sorted. I figured a generic one would work but I didn't want to say for sure, just in case it didn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?