Please tell me what the weird technique often used in metal called. The one where it's like a muted finger slide and what not, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, usually done at the beginnings of passages for extra dramatic effect. Ola does it in the KR100 video at ~0:42, really fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENxEHx5WELI

Also, there's this fast single note rhythm at the very beginning of this song (yeah, I know it's anime, but the song itself is actually pretty damn epic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-a4hxniZ-U

It also uses the finger slide at ~0:09, right before the second time the E power chord comes on, which is the chord that's played with the rhythm I am looking for. The reason I am asking this, is that all the tabs I found are wrong in terms of the rhythm guitar, and nobody on YouTube bothers to get the rhythm guitar right either. Note: I can achieve a little bit faster speeds than this, but not this exact rhythm.

So yeah, long story short, I need help learning these two techniques. What bugs me is that I actually had to make a forum post asking what these are called, as both that little intro rhythm and the finger slide are incredibly common, yet I can never find anyone actually mentioning either or how to do it. Sorry for taking people's time with the above wall of text.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Jan 25, 2015,
You posted the same video twice.

The Ola video is just sliding across the string quickly, nothing more is going on. Before starting the new bar coming up he is doing an ascending and descending slide on the lowest string.

EDIT: The Anime one is gallop picking, if i understand what section you mean. It's grouping 3 notes togeth to sound like a horse galloping. It contains one eight note and then 2 sixteenth notes. That section is mixed in with some single notes inbetween, but much of it is galloping.

Otherwise it is the scratches i mentioned with the pick.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by Sickz
You posted the same video twice.

The Ola video is just sliding across the string quickly, nothing more is going on. Before starting the new bar coming up he is doing an ascending and descending slide on the lowest string.

Fixed the vid. And also, no, he actually strums the string before doing it, I've seen it done (I kid you not) hundreds of times. It does the cool effect at ~0:11 of the anime vid. Thanks for the reply though, man.

Quote by Offworld92
I also know how to do scratches pretty well, if I may be not - so humble. It is not one, I know that for a fact, which is EXACTLY what is ticking me off. Hundreds of uses EVERYWHERE, not a single mention. How?..

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by 2Crosser
Fixed the vid. And also, no, he actually strums the string before doing it, I've seen it done (I kid you not) hundreds of times. It does the cool effect at ~0:11 of the anime vid. Thanks for the reply though, man.

I didn't say he did a hammer on from nowhere, so my statement would assume he picked the string.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I didn't say he did a hammer on from nowhere, so my statement would assume he picked the string.

Ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. My question is on HOW to do that Strum the string and slide without fretting? Tried it too many times over the past few weeks, both on natural harmonic spots and randomly. I do NOT get that sound. Why?..

EDIT: about that gallop, it is the fast rhythm right before it, I can gallop fairly well too My #1 problem is that I am not helpful to myself in any way, I figured it out

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by 2Crosser at Jan 25, 2015,
I just call that fretslide, haven't seen an "official" term for it. What do you mean about the 2nd what's the rhythm called? It's a (reverse) gallop, palm muted. It's 2x16ths + an 8th (two in this case) then a chord strike. People also call it just chugging when playing various PM rhythms on the low string
2 16ths an 8ths twice and a full chord strum? Hmm... that might just be it, lemme try it. And also, how do I do the fretslide? Been playing metal for about 8 months now, still know jack shit all, as it seems.

Quote by Offworld92
Just tried it, nope, it is not 2 16ths and 8th twice and a full chord strum, but it is VERY close. You have awesome hearing man! Or, I've just got horrid guitar skills (an I call myself a rhythm guitarist )...

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by 2Crosser
Ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. My question is on HOW to do that Strum the string and slide without fretting? Tried it too many times over the past few weeks, both on natural harmonic spots and randomly. I do NOT get that sound. Why?..

slide while fretting. stay relaxed, you don't need to fret hard. i also believe that doing it with confidence and attitude makes it sound at least 1000% better.

you still probably won't be super happy about how close you sound to the recording though. the biggest problem with trying to learn metal from recordings is that all the distortion and double/triple/quad-tracking means that your perception of the guitars in the recording may actually be quite different from what each individual guitar track might have sounded like alone.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Thanks for the reply. The tracking COULD explain the little rhythm section, although I do believe that it's still doable on one guitar as in that it's two or four identical tracks, not guitars tracked a little out of time. The slide I have seen done live, so it isn't a thing of recording. I will try fretting then sliding tomorrow, as I'm off to bed.

Quote by Offworld92
I cannot do the slide still, even fretting, any idea on HOW it is done? Not much pressure on the strings, the scratch noise is nowhere near loud enough. Fretting a bit harder, and it is just a regular legato slide.

Quote by Offworld92
the slide thing is literally just a legato slide on the bottom two strings, forming the inverted powerchord.

if you want a searing scratch sound, look up what a pick slide is. people usually do a pick slide, and then transition into the legato slide. however, that's not what your examples here involve.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Alrighties, thanks for the slide advice, it looks like what I need is constant practice. How about a pick scratch, how long does that go for? I mean, I do not put much pressure and put the rounded bit between the bottom strings, but I need to know where to start and where to stop, say for like, Korpiklaani's Ievan's Polka. Also, any advice on songwriting using these two techniques would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for being a bother

Quote by Offworld92