Hey fellas,

Lately I've been wanting to get a second amp for a variety of reasons. I've been wanting to expand my tonal options in the direction of better cleans + better low to mid-gain tones. My current rig has all the high-gain and volume I could ever need. I'm not getting rid of it any time soon.

I also want something smaller/lighter and simpler. I was originally after a mini tube head, but I can't find one used for less than $300. My plan was to get a Valveking II micro 20-watt head. I still may end up with one at some point. But they're relatively new and I can't find a really good deal on one.

So I got to thinking, why rule-out solid state/modeling amps for the time being?

I tried a Vypyr 30 combo yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. That thing sounded GREAT at low volumes. It did not sound like a solid state amp at all. That is also a huge plus, as I have an infant at home and it would be nice to be able to play late into the night and still get good tone. Additionally, it had some great clean and crunch models. I'm thinking of getting the head, because I still have the 112 cab I made from my 6505+ 112 combo (I converted the other half into a head.) My thinking is that with the 112 cab (which is HUGE for a 112 cab), I'd get a bigger sound than I would by getting the Vypyr combo.

My biggest question is this: The Vypyr 30 head is 8 ohm, but the speaker in my 112 cab is 16 ohm. Would that be a problem, considering it is a solid state amp? Otherwise, I'd have to buy an 8 ohm speaker.
Regarding the ohms, no. You only lose wattage when you go above minimum ohms (and therefore loss of headroom and such) but no issues otherwise. Only thing to worry with SS power amps is to not go below minimum load where it tries to push more watts than its capable of and then fries.

Vypyr 30 head is something i wanted a lot couple of years back but it seems it was never widely sold here in europe. Never found one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Your in the USA right?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Because your wanting something that can do late night jamming it would be an OK choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KailM
^^Yep. I've found them as low as $100 on GC.

If it's that cheap, sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to shift it if you don't want it any longer, and wouldn't make too much of a loss either.
If you dig the tones of it, go for it.
Bear in mind, if you wanna run a dual amp rig, you'd probably want to grab a Radial line switcher too..
Quote by ambler3
If it's that cheap, sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to shift it if you don't want it any longer, and wouldn't make too much of a loss either.
If you dig the tones of it, go for it.
Bear in mind, if you wanna run a dual amp rig, you'd probably want to grab a Radial line switcher too..

At $100 who cares if it is hard to move or not, $100 is not that much money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by KailM
^^It is when you survive on a teacher's salary in a state that ranks 49th in terms of teachers' salaries...

You want me to feel sorry for you because you get 3 months off a year, ain't gonna happen. You picked that job now have fun with it

Where are you, Gary, Indiana?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^Nah I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I actually love my job, I just wish the pay was better. And I put in a hell of a lot more than 40 hours per week, let me tell you that. Plus, I don't really get the summers off. I have to bust my butt landscaping to make up for my low teacher's salary, lol. But anyway, $100 is $100, I have to make it count. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat...