Hi everyone. I'm a new poster to this forum. Long time lurker.

I'm going to be redoing an old Yamaha Pacifica junker I acquired from the early 90s with some spare parts and would like some guidance.

The pacifica neck and body seem to be great.

I will be completely refinishing the body, maybe do some reshaping of the headstock, and redoing the electronics.

I have a Big Dipper for the neck, a Texas Special for the middle, and will likely put in some sort of Seymour Duncan HB in the bridge that is laying around.

This is purely a project for enjoyment and will not be selling the guitar in the future.

My question is what you recommend for re-wiring and for pots, capacitors, switch, output jack, etc?

In the end this will only cost me the price of redoing the electronics.

If anyone's interested I could also do a build thread.
bournes or CTS potentiometers are the standard. One if you plan to try lots of various pickups is the seymour duncan liberator. It's around 20 american dollars and you use screw in terminals to put the pickups in, instead of soldering. It's made in partnership with bournes so it's great.

B250k all across the board. Volumes and tones.
switch wise I'll get back to you. You can go with a schaller megaswitch if you're brave, if not ones around the 15-20$ american range I'd suggest
capacitors is a matter of taste. Paper in oil malory ones I like myself (0.022uf value for strats with 3 single coils)
output jack perhaps a switchcraft
wire is wire so don't worry
copper shielding the inside of the guitar doesn't hurt.

super 5 way switches you can do anything with but are they ever difficult to wire at first. Mods and so forth though you can do a lot with strats. The 7 way mod, you can use hum cancelling pickups with 4 wires and throw one out of phase or you can put a 2 band EQ on the guitar. Coiltaps to killswitches.
Quote by Tallwood13
bournes or CTS potentiometers are the standard. One if you plan to try lots of various pickups is the seymour duncan liberator. It's around 20 american dollars and you use screw in terminals to put the pickups in, instead of soldering. It's made in partnership with bournes so it's great.

B250k all across the board. Volumes and tones.
switch wise I'll get back to you. You can go with a schaller megaswitch if you're brave, if not ones around the 15-20$ american range I'd suggest
capacitors is a matter of taste. Paper in oil malory ones I like myself (0.022uf value for strats with 3 single coils)
output jack perhaps a switchcraft
wire is wire so don't worry
copper shielding the inside of the guitar doesn't hurt.

super 5 way switches you can do anything with but are they ever difficult to wire at first. Mods and so forth though you can do a lot with strats. The 7 way mod, you can use hum cancelling pickups with 4 wires and throw one out of phase or you can put a 2 band EQ on the guitar. Coiltaps to killswitches.

Thanks. These all seem like great suggestions. I never really though about EQ or tapping the HB.
I think I might upgrade the trem as well. The trem does not seem to be the original trem on the guitar and doesn't seem very good. Any suggestions for this as well? Planning on going all gold hardware.
take some photos and I'll let you know. The best thing to do is send me a private message on my profile though just in case I forget to reply as I'm pretty involved on here when I have time between guitar projects.

For the two band EQ pretty much this is how I do it. You need a 4.7k resistor and a 0.1uf capacitor which you can get at radio shack or tayada2009 for about 2-3$ american.

here's the schematic I prefer on strats. This does the following.
*master volume
*a regular tone knob - this controls all 3 pickups
*the 2nd tone knob is the fender greasebucket mod , it's hard to describe but to a certain degree it does the opposite of what a tone knob does. This is also a master knob that controls all 3 pickups.
*the 5 way blade is normal

but now here's the best part, so in the diagram I've got a push pull potentiometer. What this does is simple. I can activate the say neck pickup in any position so you get 2 extra sounds. Bridge / neck or all 3 pickups. It just depends on where you have the selector. I got the idea from David Gilmours black strat as well as the youtube video "how to beef up your strat".

anyways this is the diagram. Very similar to strat wiring, you can ignore the push pull if you would want. I do custom wiring diagrams for people and luckily I'm not bad with photoshop.
Thanks. I have included a pic of the body.
Last edited by ChazSm at Jan 26, 2015,