Hello!

A couple of months ago I installed the solderless Zakk Wylde 81/85 (1 Vol / 1 Tone) set in my Schecter Omen 6 and it has been working like a charm until yesterday.

As I was playing I felt that it started to lack power so I thought the battery was running low on power.
After that I had charged the battery and thrown it back in there but there was no difference, I tried with several new batteries but nothing worked.

They sound really weak, I have to max the gain on my Bugera 6260 and my mates 5150 to get away from the "clean" sound.

I re-did the wiring that goes between the pup switch and the emg bus without any difference.
Removing the battery makes no difference at all so I guess they don't get powered by the battery.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Every connection and wire looks solid to me.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Last edited by clone_sro at Jan 25, 2015,
Make sure the contacts between the switch and the jack are clean and make a positive connection.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Make sure the contacts between the switch and the jack are clean and make a positive connection.

Hello.

Thanks for the answer.

I have checked every cable and made sure that it's a solid connection, and it's all correct according to the wiring diagram found on emg's website.
Hey man, i had this very same problem and i could not find a solution online because everyone said "check to make sure the wiring is right" which didnt help at all. So i took mine to a guitar tech and found out it was because of bare wiring touching the switch pad, creating resistance (the guitar tech spoke in jargon i couldn't understand so this is what i made out). So make sure your wires are not making any contact and they're covered as much as possible by your pickup switch.
Isolate all the wiring with electrical tape (black tape), as you do it clean the conections (there are sprays for this). If nothing works it could be the jack EMG's come with crappy stereo jacks that have given me troubles a lot. Last but not least one 81 died on me once... EMG said that humidity can damage a pickup...
For what it's worth, I've never used rechargable batteries in my guitar with active EMGs, and I've heard people say that they don't work well. Don't really know why they wouldn't, and I've never tested the theory myself, but there it is. Something to try, maybe.
+1 I've never used rechargables either i always use Duracell, and I'm pretty sure EMG recommend not using them
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by rickster100
+1 I've never used rechargables either i always use Duracell, and I'm pretty sure EMG recommend not using them

You sir are correct, according to the battery section of the FAQ on EMG's website, they do not recommend using rechargeable batteries, reason stated was rechargeable batteries typically need to be fully discharged to preserve long life.

My guess is the batteries have been acting up before they are fully drained so you are charging them too soon and they have been compromised by developing "memory" so they don't hold much of a charge now.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 26, 2015,