Hello,

I'm struggling to reduce the string noise when playing legato runs.

When I flick off from a string onto another it's always seems to play the open note, along with other movement noise too.

Is there way I can reduce this? I have the strength and endurance in my left hand, I can play clear notes ok, it's the string noise changing strings that seems a lot.

Seen a few videos of satch explaining how he walks his fingers of his picking hand over the strings while he's legato to dampen the strings, I've tried this but find it really difficult. I have more success lightly resting the pick on the string I've justflicked off from, but I'm no where near quick enough to match my left hand speed.

Are there any tone settings/ pedals I could use reduce the noise or has anyone got any other techniques they could share?

Many thanks
Last edited by gravyYelp at Jan 25, 2015,
When i do legato i make sure i mute in 4 ways.

Firstly, the left hand should mute two things, the tip of your index finger should mute the lower string from the one you are playing on. So if you are playing on the A string the tip of your index finger should rest against the E string to mute it. Secondly, the lower part of your index finger should rest of all the higher strings from the one you are playing on. So if you are playing on the A string it should rest over the D,G,B and high E string.

For the right hand you have two ways to mute aswell. The pick is used just like the tip of the index finger on the left hand, to mute the lower string to the one you are playing on. Simply pick the string to start the legato run, then rest it on the lower string to help mute it. (Keep in mind that if you are playing higher strings afterwards it might be a better choice to not do this, so you can pick the next string smoothly afterwards. Still a good way to keep excess noise away though)
The last thing you want to do with your right hand is what satch is doing, but i'd say you don't need to use as many fingers as he does, simply use the middle finger to mute the string above the one your currently playing on. (So if you are playing on the A string, mute the D string with your middle finger).

Using these 4 ways to mute will get you a very clean sound if you keep practicing it until it is a habit. Tone settings and pedals should not be used to reduce noise, you should be able to do that purely from a technique standpoint. (However, if you are recording all is fair game)
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
As mentioned above - it's all about properly muting unused strings ( this applies to nearly every technique on guitar and is really one of the main things that separates good players from bad players.).

Eric Johnson has a great section in his instructional video on that subject which you mkght want to check out.

I agree with everything Sickz mentioned above. At first it takes a lot of practice and can be irritating, but it's the only way to properly play clearly, otherwise you'll always be fighting with noise or a poor tone.